Travelling in a 10ft wide boat from Doncaster to London

Noviceboata

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I cannot imagine that a crane to lift a widebeam will be cheap if it is being brought in to do a single lift.

£1000 & £1200 was what I paid to hire 100T cranes at each end of a road journey to lift a 29 tonne boat. That was 6 years ago so things have probably gone up of course. 

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I retract "plastic gin palaces" and replace with "yoghurt pots".

I was moving a plastic cruiser for a pal one day and the wind blew me firmly aground on the Macc in Bosley locks.  A passing narrowboat offered to drag it off saying " Why do you want to have a Tupperware boat anyway?"  I declined the tow and got it afloat on my own, eventually, by waiting for the wind to drop.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I was moving a plastic cruiser for a pal one day and the wind blew me firmly aground on the Macc in Bosley locks.  A passing narrowboat offered to drag it off saying " Why do you want to have a Tupperware boat anyway?"  I declined the tow and got it afloat on my own, eventually, by waiting for the wind to drop.

A bit unfair when you consider what type of canal boat most resembles a Tupperware container.

image.png

tupperware-tupperware-freezer-mate-medium-low-ll-2_large.jpg.2cfea5d91bf459f87b6066d5c2e1f2af.jpg

(Just noticed the Tupperware has rounder corners.🙂)

Edited by David Mack
  • Happy 1

I really don't understand why so many narrowboaters feel the need to try to pull rank over people on other types of boat? In reality narrow boats are probably the least "boat like" (or hydrodynamic if you prefer), of any type of boat. I'm not sure where it comes from but I don't think boaters on other craft become derogatory about other boats to the same extent. 

If you're a real boater, someone who's truly interested in water craft, then one would assume you'd appreciate all types of vessels. However, in many cases on the English inland waterways apparently not. 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you're a real boater, someone who's truly interested in water craft, then one would assume you'd appreciate all types of vessels

All boat types are great, however there is one type that is the exception that proves the rule and that is fat ugly widebeams 🤭

For the avoidance of any doubt @blackrose is neither fat nor ugly.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you're a real boater, someone who's truly interested in water craft, then one would assume you'd appreciate all types of vessels. 

That my thinking 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yesterday I made a number of throw away comments regarding GRP boats that used phrases that are prejudicial towards this type of water craft. I did not intend to give any offence, but some justifiably took it that way. I made these remarks insensitively, without giving due consideration to the historical lower status and discrimination that GRP boats and their owners have suffered over the years on the inland waterways.
After an overnight period of reflection I would like to make the following statement.
As a steel boat owner, my unearned position of privilege gave me no right to punch down in such a derogatory manner. GRP Boats Matter and in future I will do my best to refrain from doing such a thing again. I will try to be an ally to the GRP community, without talking over, or "steelsplaining" at them. There are intersectional overlapping prejudices like the combination of GRP construction, petrol propulsion and outboard motors that can magnify each disadvantage that a boat and its owner can labour under in our society, which I will endevour to be sensitive to. If you find me making an inappropriate reply in future, then please call me out. I promise to do my best to learn, without taking it as a personal affront. All inland boaters should unite and direct their energies towards making the waterways an inclusive place for all (except paddleboarders obviously😀).

Jen

About time.  I will endeavour to support you in your quest for equanimity for all boaters with a hull instead of an ironing board.  Your reply preparation, though good, was not perfect.

Must try harder,   9/10

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

About time.  I will endeavour to support you in your quest for equanimity for all boaters with a hull instead of an ironing board.  Your reply preparation, though good, was not perfect.

Must try harder,   9/10

Suitably chastened. 😳

• Happy 1

On 29/05/2022 at 14:50, blackrose said:

...I don't think boaters on other craft become derogatory about other boats to the same extent... 

Oh but they do - on the sea we sailors hate mobos, actually thinking about it it's not the boats themselves but how (badly) they're driven by their owners. And we all hate Jetskis/PWCs or whatever you want to call them...

On 31/05/2022 at 13:59, Crewcut said:

Oh but they do - on the sea we sailors hate mobos, actually thinking about it it's not the boats themselves but how (badly) they're driven by their owners.  

I think the rag & stick brigade call them stink pots