Josephine- DIY replating and full fitout of a 70s Hancock and Lane narrowboat

harrybsmith

Featured Posts

As a qualified welder I'm concerned at what you are doing, my jaw is on the floor, the welds look very bad and no way safe or watertight, I can't see any that would pass any basic visual inspection . You seem to be using a hobby gasless MIG with no edge prep on 6 mm plate , eek ! Do you know how to use dogs to get plates together ?

From what i can see in the pictures this project needs to be stopped from being put back in the water until the welds are inspected profesionally and or dye tested ( not a marine surveyor, they know nothing about welding) . 

I very much doubt anyone will listen though, that's the default for this forum. 

6 hours ago, waterworks said:

As a qualified welder I'm concerned at what you are doing, my jaw is on the floor, the welds look very bad and no way safe or watertight, I can't see any that would pass any basic visual inspection . You seem to be using a hobby gasless MIG with no edge prep on 6 mm plate , eek ! Do you know how to use dogs to get plates together ?

From what i can see in the pictures this project needs to be stopped from being put back in the water until the welds are inspected profesionally and or dye tested ( not a marine surveyor, they know nothing about welding) . 

I very much doubt anyone will listen though, that's the default for this forum. 

I'm stick welding, not using gasless MIG below the waterline. I've used gasless above the waterline. 

I'll grant you, there are a couple of areas (and I mean probably 1ft of bead) that aren't great and I know I need to redo. All edges are bevelled and reasonably prepped before welding 

How familiar are you with narrowboat construction? Quite a few people who know their stuff (aka have built boats) and don't pull their punches have seen it in person and in general their feedback was positive 

I may dye pen test the welds, I am familiar with weld inspection. Always happy to listen on how to improve and do appreciate your concern 

7 hours ago, waterworks said:

Can you show these stick welds on the hull plates ?

Have you keyholed them, used a backing or are you welding both sides ?

Seems a reasonable request, i'll get some pics for you when i'm next at the boat. 

Welding both sides of everything, the reason that there looks to be no bevelling of the edges of the plates for prep is because when the plate is overlapped with the existing hull before trimming to size (to achieve a consistent root gap, also an important part of a good weld) the exact size the plate will end up isn't known, so it can't be prepped on the floor. 

My way of doing it is to get the plate tacked as minimally as possible into place and then cut a V in the join using a grinding disc, approximately to 1/2 the thickness of the plate. Weld that up, then do exactly the same on the other side of the plate, but grind the notch until you hit weld and grind through the original tacks. That way full penetration is (nearly) assured. 

It's quite a slow way of doing it and I know you wouldn't ever base an industrial process around it, but it is thorough and as both sides are welded fully then i'd be mightily unlucky to get an invisible weld defect in both welds in the same location causing a leak 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, waterworks said:

Liberty ships broke up at sea and sank. 

...due to cheap/rapid/slapdash construction and a lack of understanding about welding and stress concentrations and crack propagation -- riveted hulls are more forgiving 🙂

According to J E Gordon in "Structures -- or why things don't fall down" (great book, highly recommended) the best example of crack propagation in a welded hull was a ship where after a storm the chef spotted a crack in the floor of the galley. "No problem, just mark it so we can see if it gets worse", he was told. Being a conscientious fellow he did this, marking the position of the end of the crack by painting the date on the deck every time it got longer.

Luckily for engineers everywhere, when the ship broke in two in a tropical storm the painted markings were on the half that stayed afloat. To this day, this remains the best record of sub-critical crack propagation in welded ship hulls... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

I dunno what power source you got ,but if its got the herbs,wind it up and use much bigger rods ,and feed in a filler wire as you weld.....this will fill the gaps without excessive penetration........................I wouldnt worry about weld soundness ,your boat aint gonna see a 30 ft swell any time soon.

8 hours ago, john.k said:

I dunno what power source you got ,but if its got the herbs,wind it up and use much bigger rods ,and feed in a filler wire as you weld.....this will fill the gaps without excessive penetration........................I wouldnt worry about weld soundness ,your boat aint gonna see a 30 ft swell any time soon.

Don't do any of this.

Many Liberty ships cracked and sank because the Critical temperature of the hull steel, (including the welding) was higher than the water temperature.  Critical temperature is the one at which the steel becomes brittle.  This was often about 2 or 3C, which was not much good in Arctic waters.

The OP seems to be doing a decent job of rebuilding his boat.  You will not see many hull or cabin  plate edges with weld prep in canal boat yards.  Heavy (6mm plus) baseplate, certainly but 6mm sides or 4mm cabins are generally butt welded both sides, as they come.  Indoor builders sometimes prefer MAG but the outdoors ones use sticks.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Indoor builders sometimes prefer MAG but the outdoors ones use sticks.

Many years ago when Alex was teaching us to arc weld, Starcoaster acerbically observed that stick welding was probably so called because the rod sticks so willingly and repeatedly to the workpiece.