Installation of new electric boat charging bollards

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Strange but true, I have been on numerous boats at the show, that are owned and the owners sometimes have been present.

Same here. Im not sure I would do it though and I wonder how honest they would be if asked anything awkward about the builder, the boat or the build process.

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Strange but true, I have been on numerous boats at the show, that are owned and the owners sometimes have been present.

If I had to pick a boat sold/taken away within the last 6 month to exhibit, I wouldn’t pick the one your thinking off. 

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Same here. Im not sure I would do it though and I wonder how honest they would be if asked anything awkward about the builder, the boat or the build process.

Completely agree Martin I remember being on one boat where the owner lef out it was a one year overrun on the build! It still wasn't completely finished either 🤣

11 hours ago, PD1964 said:

If I had to pick a boat sold/taken away within the last 6 month to exhibit, I wouldn’t pick the one your thinking off. 

They have had some beauties leave the yard last year but before August 😩

We have done Crick 3 times as a show-boat, living aboard on each occasion. Having 100+ people through your boat each day is utterly exhausting but their comments can be both interesting and rewarding. The main practical requirements are an early start so that all your personal stuff can be stowed away before the hordes descend and a stock of ready meals as you will be too kn*****ed to cook afterwards.

Didn't things like the white boat in the pictures use to be called 'Houseboats'? Not intended to be moved.

2 minutes ago, Rishworth_Bridge said:

We have done Crick 3 times as a show-boat, living aboard on each occasion. Having 100+ people through your boat each day is utterly exhausting but their comments can be both interesting and rewarding. The main practical requirements are an early start so that all your personal stuff can be stowed away before the hordes descend and a stock of ready meals as you will be too kn*****ed to cook afterwards.

Didn't things like the white boat in the pictures use to be called 'Houseboats'? Not intended to be moved.

I think the new owners intend to cruise as a lot of work went into making sure it could 

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I think the new owners intend to cruise as a lot of work went into making sure it could 

I’m still trying to work out where they’re going to put the controls to be able to see where they’re going,  😂👍

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I'm sure that as a boat for living on -- and being "green", given the amount of solar on board -- it will be lovely, with little wasted space inside especially at the bows.

As said above, many (non-canal) boats have no access on and off at the bows, and they get around fine, and even manage to cruise and moor up with nobody at the bows using those new-fangled things, what are they called -- oh yes, "bow thrusters", the new PMAC ones can run continuously for ten minutes or more to keep the bows pinned to the bank while you walk along it and drop a rope over the mooring stud -- yes that takes quite a bit of electric power, but nothing compared to what the propulsion on a boat like this will use.

The time when no bow access would be really awkward is coming up to any lock landing where you can't get the stern in, especially on rivers or shallower canals, but this probably isn't going to happen that often to this boat. And there's the usual "big boat on small canal" objection, which there won't be if it stays on the big canals that it's suited to.

None of which means it's not perfectly capable of cruising in the right circumstances. I think the real reason people are objecting to it is that it looks *nothing* like any kind of boat traditionally seen on the UK canals -- wide or narrow -- or even any other traditional craft like a Dutch barge -- and the logo (with the "switches") is awful. But to look on the bright side, it doesn't look like a miniature oligarch's superyacht either... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Single handed boaters don’t get off the bow to work the locks or moor up, so access on/off bow not needed, also can do it without a bow thruster 

Haven't you done the Huddersfield Narrow?

It's the only way to do most of it.

18 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Single handed boaters don’t get off the bow to work the locks or moor up, so access on/off bow not needed, also can do it without a bow thruster 

However in a boat like the one shown which is about the size of a barn door, doing just that in any crosswind might be tricky to say the least... 😉

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

True (and what I was thinking of), but that particular boat might have a teeny bit of trouble getting up there... 😉

Edited by IanD

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unfortunately my boat is too long. My builder got his Metre Rule and Yard Stick mixed up on build day, then when I asked him to cut a foot and a half off he politely told me to f@ck @ff😂 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Unfortunately my boat is too long. My builder got his Metre Rule and Yard Stick mixed up on build day, then when I asked him to cut a foot and a half off he politely told me to f@ck @ff😂 

Too long for 72' locks?  That must be annoying ...

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I do sometimes. Because on shallow edge canals I can get the bow in close enough to get on and off, but not always the stern. And my bow thruster is about 14 feet long and two inches diameter.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I do sometimes. Because on shallow edge canals I can get the bow in close enough to get on and off, but not always the stern. And my bow thruster is about 14 feet long and two inches diameter.

What a boat pole?  And remember to paint one end red and the other green, so you don’t push and shove the wrong way👍

Edited by PD1964

On 07/05/2022 at 17:53, PD1964 said:

No, this one😂 changes every day, today was handrails(folding)👍

D79E2376-1084-45DE-AA0B-02711BFDDF5B.jpeg.1690f1d6893de1a7c1dc9ec259d2ce67.jpeg

Same boat, I hear this is going to Crick, I haven’t heard if a Narrow is going, but could all change by the time of the show.

I had a look inside her today, lots of work going on, she is a really nice boat 65 x 12 because of the lack of gunnels its much more space inside. She is destined for the Thames, she has 50kw peak power a 13.5kw genny onboard and a lot of solar. She might not be everybody's cup of tea but I liked her, clearly somebody else does as they have ordered a 70 x 14 version, Jonny has nearly finished the shell so that will be going to Finesse shortly. They still have no diesels in build everything is electric apart from a hydrogen fuel cell boat! Yes you read that right I was surprised as well 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I had a look inside her today, lots of work going on, she is a really nice boat 65 x 12 because of the lack of gunnels its much more space inside. She is destined for the Thames, she has 50kw peak power a 13.5kw genny onboard and a lot of solar. She might not be everybody's cup of tea but I liked her, clearly somebody else does as they have ordered a 70 x 14 version, Jonny has nearly finished the shell so that will be going to Finesse shortly. They still have no diesels in build everything is electric apart from a hydrogen fuel cell boat! Yes you read that right I was surprised as well 

I’m waiting to see where the wheel is going☸️

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

a 13.5kw genny onboard

So what'd the point of electric drive I wonder, with a diesel-fired power station like that on board. 

Is this thing is supposed to be "green", or do they make no claims about it being "green"?

Edited by MtB

4 hours ago, MtB said:

So what'd the point of electric drive I wonder, with a diesel-fired power station like that on board. 

Is this thing is supposed to be "green", or do they make no claims about it being "green"?

It was @peterboat who quoted those figures. 
  I don’t know if all the new buyers of these boats are trying to be Green or Eco, but from what I see I don’t think so. I think they just want silent propulsion while out cruising and enjoy peace and quiet now they’re retired, with a generator running at the end of the day if needed(they are silent though)

Edited by PD1964