Does anyone at C&RT understand boaters' needs?

Midnight

Featured Posts

I see Selby stoppage not open now till the 30th, Ferrybridge now closed till 13th, Goole closed till further notice. Now no routes out of that area.

I would of thought CaRT would of put Ferrybridge back till at least Selby was open so boats coming up the Trent have somewhere to go in York/Ripon. Really bad planning by Cart.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, sueb said:

Do boaters understand what CRT should provide? It does seem that boaters expect more than CRT needs to provide.

I expect a little better planning at the busiest time of year. Selby was supposed to be open tomorrow the 20th, Ferrybridge closed today 19th, no problem boats could get to York and Rippon. Now selby put back till the 30th, so just move Ferrybridge back to close on the 1st, there’s lots of boats coming up the Trent to visit the Northern Canals, unfortunately most are now turning around and going back.

I know the pressures CaRT are under especially down South, but if they just thought about the situation once Selby was delayed there could of at least been a route out of South Yorkshire instead back down the Trent.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, sueb said:

Do boaters understand what CRT should provide? It does seem that boaters expect more than CRT needs to provide.

I expect greater understanding of boating issues and better management of the limited resources they have. 

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I know the pressures CaRT are under especially down South, but if they just thought about the situation once Selby was delayed there could of at least been a route out of South Yorkshire instead back down the Trent.

What pressure are they under out of interest in the South? 

57 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I would say more pressure to maintain boater facilities with the over crowding of the London canals and surrounding areas, where there has been a large increase in continuous cruisers/moorers looking at the canals as a cheap place to live while working in the area.

Or do you think the increase in new boaters in the London area has had little impact on those canals and the pressure to maintain adequate facilities and services?

Edited by PD1964

10 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Just interested in what additional pressure, thanks for the explanation. 

Luckily the Northern canals aren’t as congested as the Southern network, but this year I have noticed a greater influx of Southern boats coming up and their frustration of these closures limiting their places to visit in their planned holiday cruising schedule. If you look at a canal map of the North and close Ferrybridge, Selby, the end of new junctions to Goole, you will see a very restricted area to cruise and places to visit.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I expect a little better planning at the busiest time of year. Selby was supposed to be open tomorrow the 20th, Ferrybridge closed today 19th, no problem boats could get to York and Rippon. Now selby put back till the 30th, so just move Ferrybridge back to close on the 1st, there’s lots of boats coming up the Trent to visit the Northern Canals, unfortunately most are now turning around and going back.

I thought selby was a council problem? Getting a closure order or something like that I heard?

56 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I thought selby was a council problem? Getting a closure order or something like that I heard?

I hear it’s to do with an appropriate scaffold foot bridge H&S, quite a few boats headed that way over the weekend as they thought it would be open tomorrow, now the option they have is to wait there till the 30th(if all sorted😂) or head back along the New Junction where they’ve just come from. You would of thought they would of kept Ferrybridge open till sorted so they could of at least got to Leeds/Stanley Ferry area.

I’m sure all this could of been sorted out quicker and had a better outcome for all parties if they all had got together, discussed and thought about it more.

Edited by PD1964

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I hear it’s to do with an appropriate scaffold foot bridge H&S, quite a few boats headed that way over the weekend as they thought it would be open tomorrow, now the option they have is to wait there till the 30th(if all sorted😂) or head back along the New Junction where they’ve just come from. You would of thought they would of kept Ferrybridge open till sorted so they could of at least got to Leeds/Stanley Ferry area.

I’m sure all this could of been sorted out quicker and had a better outcome for all parties if they all had got together, discussed and thought about it more.

Joined up thinking and CRT in one sentence not a chance

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

In the North East it's us boaters i.e paying customers who are under pressure C&RT are creating the pressure. 

21 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Is there are problem with making lock gates? If I recall there are only two depots now that do them. Should there be more?

The problem with lock gates is not that they cannot make enough, but, they do not replace more than they can currently make.

This all seems to have come to a head with "The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016" which limits, by law, the disassembly & destruction of lock-gates to 100 tonnes. (I presume per annum)

No point replacing them if you cannot dispose of them.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem with lock gates is not that they cannot make enough, but, they do not replace more than they can currently make.

This all seems to have come to a head with "The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016" which limits, by law, the disassembly & destruction of lock-gates to 100 tonnes. (I presume per annum)

No point replacing them if you cannot dispose of them.

Surely the regs include a procedure for obtaining the necessary permits or whatever for a larger quantity if required. And anyway, what's so special about lock gates? Why is disassembly and destruction of lock-gates any different to disposal of other life-expired timber structures?

I've just had a quick look at the Regs. Seems to me the 100 tonne limit applies to the amount of material stored at any time. So as long as CRT dispose of used lock gates in a timely fashion, there is no limit on the total quantity of lock gates which can be handled in a year.

18 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I see Selby stoppage not open now till the 30th, Ferrybridge now closed till 13th, Goole closed till further notice. Now no routes out of that area.

I would of thought CaRT would of put Ferrybridge back till at least Selby was open so boats coming up the Trent have somewhere to go in York/Ripon. Really bad planning by Cart.

The Ferrybridge stoppage was brought forward partly due to the urgency, but also so as to take place during the New Bridge (Goole) stoppage and end about the same time the canal re-opens there and much, if not all, the dredging completed at Lemonroyd etc. It wasn't really feasible to try and tie it in with the Selby stoppage which has been largely outside of the Trust's control as regards an end date.  It really wouldn't have been ideal to re-open the canal at Goole then shortly afterwards close it again for five weeks!

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably it is the preservative, as the same legislation covers telegraph poles and other structures.

AFAIK almost all lock gates are made of oak or other hardwood, without the use of preservatives. Unlike telegraph poles and softwood railway sleepers which were treated with creosote, and more recently, other preservatives.

On 20/07/2021 at 15:44, fanshaft said:

The Ferrybridge stoppage was brought forward partly due to the urgency, but also so as to take place during the New Bridge (Goole) stoppage and end about the same time the canal re-opens there and much, if not all, the dredging completed at Lemonroyd etc. It wasn't really feasible to try and tie it in with the Selby stoppage which has been largely outside of the Trust's control as regards an end date.  It really wouldn't have been ideal to re-open the canal at Goole then shortly afterwards close it again for five weeks!

I get what your saying to have all the links open, it would be especially good to get commercial traffic back moving. I don’t know who at CaRT decides on the severity of Emergency stoppage, but how long does it actually take to replace the lock gates and other work? Will CaRT and the other agencies be working their normal hours 08:00-16:15hrs of 24hr team shifts or extended hours say 07:00-21:00hrs? I’m not bashing CaRT but I wish they would work a bit faster to replace these gates.

Edited by PD1964

On 20/07/2021 at 13:19, David Mack said:

I've just had a quick look at the Regs. Seems to me the 100 tonne limit applies to the amount of material stored at any time. So as long as CRT dispose of used lock gates in a timely fashion, there is no limit on the total quantity of lock gates which can be handled in a year.

I found a good use for old lock gates at Workum, in Friesland. There is also an excellent wooden boatyard there as well.

DSC_0258 lockgate seat.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg