Does anyone at C&RT understand boaters' needs?

Midnight

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No I should not have to.

They are both on mains drainage, there is absolutely no reason why I should not pump out there, my effluent is not going to block anything  unlike a porta potti or cassette.

...or non composted compost bog bag.

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Boating involves costs. Shelling out 20 squid for a pumpout isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

But why do that when you can be self sufficient by having the kit which can be used quite “legally” at mains connected Elsan points? As Tracy says by the very nature of using another pump which macerates the waste it’s less likely to block than a grotty potty or similar….also you might not think £20 a fortnight or so is much but I think Tim’s got enough cash already! 

On 02/08/2021 at 22:02, PD1964 said:

Not exactly a damaged lock gate to replace or removal and repair of a swing bridge is it?
 Stage 1: Close a paddle, open a paddle, pound drained, Survey team in filming.

Stage2: Survey team out, close a paddle, open a paddle, pound refilled.  Do you think that’s difficult?😂

I'm not suggesting it was difficult. I was saying that necessary work was carried out, as promised, and on time (I'm not the slightest bit mithered that the foreman's watch was two minutes slow).

I don't dispute that other tasks in other areas are more difficult, more problematic, and take longer (sometimes much longer). What do you suggest -- CRT putting all its resources into the difficult jobs and ignore the hundreds of easier, but still necessary, jobs on busier sections of the network?

By the way, Lock 42 on the T&M isn't dahn sarf by any stretch of the imagination. It's well north of Stoke on Trent.

...so in answer to the OP's original question, I'd say, yes, somebody does.

On 20/07/2021 at 13:42, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably it is the preservative, as the same legislation covers telegraph poles and other structures.

A type of preservative did cause some disposal issues,  I think it was some sort of copper cyanide, I know we had one for a while trying to sort some sort of proper removal

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

But why do that when you can be self sufficient by having the kit which can be used quite “legally” at mains connected Elsan points? As Tracy says by the very nature of using another pump which macerates the waste it’s less likely to block than a grotty potty or similar….also you might not think £20 a fortnight or so is much but I think Tim’s got enough cash already! 

I wasn't suggesting paying for a pumpout every time. We have a self-pumpout facility too.

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Braunston sani disposal all chained up, do C&RT expect us to dump it in the cut? I am sure that a lot do out of necessity. I have not seen a notice about this.

Have you considered a composting/separating waterless loo?

:D

24 minutes ago, frangar said:

.also you might not think £20 a fortnight or so is much but I

If you have a pump-out tank that is having to be emptied ever 2 weeks, you :

1) have a biological problem

2) need a bigger tank

Our 20 litre cassette (or, is it 18 litres) lasts 2 of us 4 days.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2) need a bigger tank

Who said it had to be emptied every 2 weeks? Mine does months.

£20 a fortnight is £520 a year which I consider to be a substantial cost for most boat owners. 

But I suppose wealthy old salts like you spend that on drinks every day. If you can afford boats that sail around the Far East, its small beer.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2) need a bigger tank

Due to the design of boat its not possible to fit a bigger tank....and that's with 2 of us onboard full time......Many new boats with macerators etc seem to empty every 2 weeks or so judging by the use of the pump out machine in our marina....

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Look at who I answered - hint - it wasn't you,

I see the grumpy old Tracy is back today.

Well, there is just something about know it all AdeE that just tees me off.  I am  not alone.....:giggles:    :offtopic:

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No I should not have to.

They are both on mains drainage, there is absolutely no reason why I should not pump out there, my effluent is not going to block anything  unlike a porta potti or cassette.

Alas, I believe that self pump out does cause problems . . . 

20 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Alas, I believe that self pump out does cause problems . . . 

Care to enlighten us?

26 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well, there is just something about know it all AdeE that just tees me off.  I am  not alone.....:giggles:    :offtopic:

You are not alone! 

Doesn't this statement on the CRT website mean you shouldn't empty a pump out in to any elsan point...?

Source: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-services/water-points-and-sewage-disposal

You’ll need more sophisticated pump out services if your boat has a holding tank. This is not covered by your licence fee. To use our self-service machines you'll need a pre-payment card, also available from the shop. 

Please follow the instructions carefully – part of the reason the cost of the cards remains high are the number of breakdowns from mis-using the equipment. 

Never use a free-standing pump - to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point. These simply don’t have the capacity and there’s a high risk of spillage. Polluting the canalside with raw sewage is a very serious offence - as well as a health hazard. 

It may be easier to buy the service from a boatyard or marina, where someone will do the dirty work for you for a very reasonable fee.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Doesn't this statement on the CRT website mean you shouldn't empty a pump out in to any elsan point...?

Source: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-services/water-points-and-sewage-disposal

You’ll need more sophisticated pump out services if your boat has a holding tank. This is not covered by your licence fee. To use our self-service machines you'll need a pre-payment card, also available from the shop. 

Please follow the instructions carefully – part of the reason the cost of the cards remains high are the number of breakdowns from mis-using the equipment. 

Never use a free-standing pump - to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point. These simply don’t have the capacity and there’s a high risk of spillage. Polluting the canalside with raw sewage is a very serious offence - as well as a health hazard. 

It may be easier to buy the service from a boatyard or marina, where someone will do the dirty work for you for a very reasonable fee.

Well I’ve not blocked one in 30 years of self pump outs….but unlike some grotty potty users I dilute the waste and flush a couple of times afterwards…and I shall continue to do so. I have asked if a form of QR coupling could be added to suitable sites to connect the output hose directly to. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Care to enlighten us?

Like everything else I suppose, fools cause problems, done sensibly and in appropriate locations it shouldn't  But a fool with a self pump out is capable of spreading slurry everywhere, which if they clean it up no problem, issue is some don't.

Not picking on self pump out bods particularly, just selfish idiots 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Like everything else I suppose, fools cause problems, done sensibly and in appropriate locations it shouldn't  But a fool with a self pump out is capable of spreading slurry everywhere, which if they clean it up no problem, issue is some don't.

Not picking on self pump out bods particularly, just selfish idiots 

I’ve seen cassette users somehow manage to cover the floor and walls..then just walk away despite my vocal full & frank comments…

A QR connection for the pipe would of course solve this issue. 

Edited by frangar

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Well I’ve not blocked one in 30 years of self pump outs….but unlike some grotty potty users I dilute the waste and flush a couple of times afterwards…and I shall continue to do so. I have asked if a form of QR coupling could be added to suitable sites to connect the output hose directly to. 

I have seen two Elsans with such a device fitted Marple & IIRC Whaley Bridge. I use a contraption made up of push-fit plastic pipe to ensure all of IT goes into the sluice below the water line. No mess very clean. I got the idea from a fellow boater in Skipton several years ago. 

20210809_201402_resized.jpg

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe if you read and comprehended what was written, I would not have to correct you so frequently.

As I said, a right know it all. Painful.  You may be old, ill and infirm one day.

• Greenie 1