Cassette toilet

Feeby100

Featured Posts

Just now, Feeby100 said:

Hello

I’m after some advice does anyone know of a cassette toilet that actually looks better than the Thetford ones they do or are these the only option as I want something that is cassette that looks nice thank you

If you mean the permanently installed type the only other make I am aware of are Dometic. These tend to be fitted in more 'upmarket' motorhomes.

Arguably aesthetically better to look at but people report reliabilty issues.

7 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Ok thanks 

yes Permanent fixture it’s just I don’t like the look of the Thetford one I just look too plasticky and I want something to look more classy

Depends on what you mean by classy but I do think personally the Dometic looks better than the Thetford.

Untitled-1_2e558abb-7b6a-499e-a2e9-21a0ff14b062_1200x1200.jpg

From bitter experience I would advise caution buying any Dometic lavatory. Spares are almost non existent.

Recently a broken plastic lever on a 310 Dometic led to a complete replacement as levers have never been a spare part---- at a cost of £280

36 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Thank you I seen them but it just in bowl that’s ceramic

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

From bitter experience I would advise caution buying any Dometic lavatory. Spares are almost non existent.

Recently a broken plastic lever on a 310 Dometic led to a complete replacement as levers have never been a spare part---- at a cost of £280

That’s not good to here

You're right, most cassette toilets look pretty naff - cheap and plasticky.

This is my Vacuflush cassette toilet bowl which is ceramic (bottom picture). The cassette is remotely located about 6ft away.

The Vacuflush cassette toilet now been discontinued and I'm not sure if there's an alternative. I've got spares for mine but if I eventually have to change it I'm going to replace it with a sea toilet and modify some 20l plastic containers as cassettes. The container headspace would need to be vented outside through a skin fitting and perhaps a carbon filter and you'd need a way of knowing when a container was full.

Sea toilet

Aquafax Aqua T Compact Manual Sea Toilet with Soft Close Lid

P1000292.JPG

Edited by blackrose

On 22/04/2021 at 18:21, Feeby100 said:

Ok thanks 

yes Permanent fixture it’s just I don’t like the look of the Thetford one I just look too plasticky and I want something to look more classy

DO NOT buy a Dometic. They are bloody crap. Build is terrible and every cassette leaks. I fitted a brand new one and bought spare cassettes cost me a fortune and I skipped the lot in as new condition after a month or two and put the vastly superior Thetford back in.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You're right, most cassette toilets look pretty naff - cheap and plasticky.

This is my Vacuflush cassette toilet bowl which is ceramic (bottom picture). The cassette is remotely located about 6ft away.

The Vacuflush cassette toilet now been discontinued and I'm not sure if there's an alternative. I've got spares for mine but if I eventually have to change it I'm going to replace it with a sea toilet and modify some 20l plastic containers as cassettes. The container headspace would need to be vented outside through a skin fitting and perhaps a carbon filter and you'd need a way of knowing when a container was full.

Sea toilet

Aquafax Aqua T Compact Manual Sea Toilet with Soft Close Lid

P1000292.JPG

You look to have very wide toilet paper - is that because you are a wide-arsed boat ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You look to have very wide toilet paper - is that because you are a wide-arsed boat ?

Just beat me too it :).  Its also hung the wrong way, paper unrolling against the wall is just wrong.

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

Its also hung the wrong way, paper unrolling against the wall is just wrong.

NO NO NO unrolling against the wall is correct (pull from the bottom). on the movable type of L shaped 'wire' toliet roll hangers that swivel. if you pull from the 'back' (wall side) it moves the roll away from the wall so the friction doesn't mean that you end up tearing it off at ever perforation.

Pulling it from the top, pushes it into the wall and means you only get to tear off one-sheet at a time.

Now, its not just arguing about toliet types. but the installation method of toilet paper.

Having thought a bit moore about it, maybe it works differently when you are up-side-down in Oz.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pulling it from the top, pushes it into the wall and means you only get to tear off one-sheet at a time.

No, this is the correct way! Get yourself a roll holder that has enough distance between the wall and the roller to take the rolls you use without them touching the wall.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They have to touch the wall to stop them unrolling by gravity.

You must be using a particularly heavy toilet paper. Mine are hung to pull from the top and I've never suffered from gravitational issues.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You've never had a Labrador puppy ?

A Labrador puppy only operates under gravity after the apex of the lunge for the toilet roll. It requires energy to reach the toilet roll in the first place. You clearly haven't thought this through.

• Haha 1

You could always fit the best plastic lump of toilet available and hide it?  I have a walk through bathroom between the sitting room and bedroom and I always knew the doors would be open more often than not so wanted to hide the ugly toilet...  It has a bi fold top and a door front. 

Edited by Chagall

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

DO NOT buy a Dometic. They are bloody crap. Build is terrible and every cassette leaks. I fitted a brand new one and bought spare cassettes cost me a fortune and I skipped the lot in as new condition after a month or two and put the vastly superior Thetford back in.

My Vacuflush is made by Dometic. It's been very good. I guess some models are crap but I don't think you can generalise about the entire brand if you've only used one model.

9 hours ago, Loddon said:

Having had a sea toilet pumping into a tank it seems a great idea in theory but it needs to use a lot of flush water and the tank fills up very fast. ?

Ok. I used to have a sea toilet going into a pump out tank on my first boat. I don't remember it using that much water but it was a while ago so perhaps I've just forgotten. Do they give water usage in the toilet specs or does it just depend on how much you pump it?

9 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Just beat me too it :).  Its also hung the wrong way, paper unrolling against the wall is just wrong.

It's not unrolling against a wall. It may not look like it in the picture but it's unrolling from the top of the roll towards the toilet.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I happened to have a kitchen roll holder so I either have 2 toilet rolls on there or if I run out a kitchen roll. It's all the same stuff.

Edited by blackrose
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok. I used to have a sea toilet going into a pump out tank on my first boat. I don't remember it using that much water but it was a while ago so perhaps I've just forgotten. Do they give water usage in the toilet specs or does it just depend on how much you pump it?

I just remember the tank on Parglena filling up very quickly, not seen water usage figures, you may be more economical with the strokes than I was ;)

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

(snip)

I happened to have a kitchen roll holder so I either have 2 toilet rolls on there or if I run out a kitchen roll. It's all the same stuff.

No, it’s not. Kitchen roll is much more robust. You can wipe down a work top with wet kitchen roll; try the same thing with wet toilet tissue and you’ll see the difference. More important if you have a macerator loo ...