Stolen boat with police number

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I wouldn't know if my boat is where I left it, getting on for three months since I have seen it. Having said that the river has been on SSA since November so no chance of anyone taking it anywhere.

Is it at a recognisable mooring, or just left on the towpath? I know rivers are very different from canals, but if it's just left tied up under a tree, don't you worry about it? I get nervous about leaving mine unattended when I walk to the shops.

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Anyone know of any tracking devices that can be switched on, when leaving the boat unattended? Preferably one that is independent of a contract. 

The problem is not tracking the boat (both 'owners' know where it is), the problem is apparently agreeing who owns the boat.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem is not tracking the boat (both 'owners' know where it is), the problem is apparently agreeing who owns the boat.

It was a general question. Thought it seemed a useful addition to boat equipment. I mean, I have two phones - could it be set up that one can be used to track the other. I think there are programmes that let you do that. I suppose it might be worth further investigation. 

Edited by Higgs

8 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It was a general question. 

Sorry.

You can buy a tracker-watch for your kids or grand parents

Simply uses a sim card.

Switch it on when they go out, not only gives regular updates on their location but has a 'abduction button' which the child presses to phone the Police, (although a boat may have trouble with the buttons).

Here is a similar one to the one No1 Son was looking at for his daughter.

Not sure if this one is a 'contract'. (Subscription optional)

GPS Tracker Watch for Dementia / Alzheimer's / Elderly | Call Function | UBEE SAFE - Ubeequee

LIVE TRACKING AND LOCATION HISTORY

The GPS tracker allows you to keep tabs on their whereabouts at any time. Pinpoint their location from any distance. Review up to 3 months of historical routes to help you spot any signs of wandering.

Edit to delete multiple postings

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

It could be on the bottom of course....

In that case there would just be an empty space where my mooring is as the water under the boat is deeper than the height of the hull.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Is it at a recognisable mooring, or just left on the towpath? I know rivers are very different from canals, but if it's just left tied up under a tree, don't you worry about it? I get nervous about leaving mine unattended when I walk to the shops.

No it's in a Marina on a floating pontoon so goes up and down with the river. 

If it comes off the top of the piles there will be a pontoon of 100 boats floating round the marina?

17 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Anyone know of any tracking devices that can be switched on, when leaving the boat unattended? Preferably one that is independent of a contract. 

Easily done for about £20, tracker units available from eBay that will send you a txt if the boat has moved, can also be tracked via the web.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Anyone know of any tracking devices, that can be switched on, when leaving the boat unattended? Preferably one that is independent of a contract. 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/streetwize-gps-vehicle-tracker/p/709064433277600

709064433277600-A.jpg?o=fKNjy80I8SVhXlJNLsIEj8uELKMj&V=3%40jI&w=1500&p=2&q=50

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

In that case there would just be an empty space where my mooring is as the water under the boat is deeper than the height of the hull.

A surveyor friend of mine was called to a stolen boat for insurance purposes....he decided to meet the owners at the mooring to got through the details....guess where he found the "Stolen" boat......

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

A surveyor friend of mine was called to a stolen boat for insurance purposes....he decided to meet the owners at the mooring to got through the details....guess where he found the "Stolen" boat......

Didn't think canals were that deep ?

15 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No it's in a Marina on a floating pontoon so goes up and down with the river. 

If it comes off the top of the piles there will be a pontoon of 100 boats floating round the marina?

That makes sense. I just don't understand how people can leave thousands of quids worth of boat and belongings tied up on the towpath for weeks or months. I know it saves mooring fees, but you'd surely pay in worry.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Loddon said:

Didn't think canals were that deep ?

River mooring....apparently there was a thin wisp of oil coming up....so ihe decided to prod about with a long shaft....and found it!....

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That makes sense. I just don't understand how people can leave thousands of quids worth of boat and belongings tied up on the towpath for weeks or months. I know it saves mooring fees, but you'd surely pay in worry.

I have to say when we've been out boating and had to nip to my mothers or work even for a night I put it in a marina.....might cost me a few quid but cheaper than a broken window!

My question would be, who did the current “owner” buy the boat from?

The “caretaker” or “ previous owner”.

Also can the”previous owner” show they did at some point own the boat?

Bod

2 hours ago, Granger said:

Good morning, Im the current owner of the boat with paper work to prove so including statements. I have personally spoken to themes valley police this morning explained the situation and been informed if the previous owner approaches the boat to call 999 immediately. I am not a thief I was maybe a little naive as its my first boat but I am defiantly not by any means a con man I bought the boat in December in Oxford and have been learning the ropes ever since and making her my home as she now is. Its taken 2 months for the previous owner to claim there is any fraud or crime. I have also spoken to the canal and river trust and informed them of the situation today who have suggested I relocate to keep the old owner away from the boat. I am licensed and do have a crime reference number for the insolent and have also been informed that the ref already shown on this thread does not mean any crime has happened and incident number is gave to anyone who calls 101 or 999. Ive chatted to people along my journey for water and fuel as and when needed and been moored up and made some friends along the way. I won't place my incident number on here as the police have request I don't as it could lead to the other person having information they shouldn't have, but I would like to say I am innocent im just living life and as someone living with early onset dementia the situation is really making my anxiety peak due to a  fear of being attacked or broken in to. I hope people can see there's something that doesn't add up with the theft/fraud claim etc and im just trying to live my life easy going on the cut. thank you all god bless and stay safe during covid 

I have read both sides of this. It seems strange the "previous " owner is quoting a crime number, but you won't, though say you have one. Would it not be the same number for both sides of the same crime? (I genuinely don't know) and yet then we are told by another its not a criminal matter.

If you are genuine, why not stay put, meet at the boat with the police and other claimed owner, and sort it out today.? Then if you are the honest owner, you can relax.

Having seen you come through North of Leicester on Monday, while we are effectively in flood, though not too much this end,you were clearly shifting, and from what I can see, completed the soar by yesterday afternoon,  in flood, during lockdown,  reasons which mean you are easily noticed. I wonder why you are covering distances during lockdown and flood, if not running?

Not saying you are, but your version doesn't quite add up either.

Perhaps once the other claimed owner arrives here, you can be open between you, enough to arrange a mutual meeting point with police in attendance. 

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Ally said:

I have read both sides of this. It seems strange the "previous " owner is quoting a crime number, but you won't, though say you have one. Would it not be the same number for both sides of the same crime? (I genuinely don't know) and yet then we are told by another its not a criminal matter.

If you are genuine, why not stay put, meet at the boat with the police and other claimed owner, and sort it out today.? Then if you are the honest owner, you can relax.

Having seen you come through North of Leicester on Monday, while we are effectively in flood, though not too much this end,you were clearly shifting, and from what I can see, completed the soar by yesterday afternoon,  in flood, during lockdown,  reasons which mean you are easily noticed. I wonder why you are covering distances during lockdown and flood, if not running?

Not saying you are, but your version doesn't quite add up either.

Perhaps once the other claimed owner arrives here, you can be open between you, enough to arrange a mutual meeting point with police in attendance. 

Agreed this seems like it could be easily sorted if both sides arranged to meet. Also i wonder if like other members have said the final payment has not been paid which is why original owner is claiming theft...

5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Was this not the boat that was on Castle Gardens on Monday?

Potentially.  It went through syston about 3pm Monday. Was in Loughborough by Tuesday morning, and Kegworth shallow that afternoon.  All caught on cctv.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This isn’t in reply to anyone in particular just In general. An INC number such as the one put at the start of this thread is not a crime number it does not mean a crime has happened and I have been asked by East Midlands police to not give my one out it’s not to deceive anyone or act suspicious it’s just I’ve been asked not to and Won’t. The boat is tracked I have a tracker on board and live on board I have done since December. I bought a narrow boat I. Good faith with the correct paper work and licensed it correctly with the crt although I did do that a couple days after the sale due to Christmas. I’ve communicated with the police and crt both know my location and I’m happy to speak to both and I have a telephone call arranged with the police tomorrow regarding everything. I’d hope people could accept that if they don’t know the full story not to make guesses that could damage a civil or criminal case. Best of wishes 

25 minutes ago, Ally said:

On the other hand, the previous owners (together with another boat) moored up in Oxford in front of a water point for weeks on end. It was very annoying.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Granger said:
2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This isn’t in reply to anyone in particular just In general. An INC number such as the one put at the start of this thread is not a crime number it does not mean a crime has happened and I have been asked by East Midlands police to not give my one out it’s not to deceive anyone or act suspicious it’s just I’ve been asked not to and Won’t. The boat is tracked I have a tracker on board and live on board I have done since December. I bought a narrow boat I. Good faith with the correct paper work and licensed it correctly with the crt although I did do that a couple days after the sale due to Christmas. I’ve communicated with the police and crt both know my location and I’m happy to speak to both and I have a telephone call arranged with the police tomorrow regarding everything. I’d hope people could accept that if they don’t know the full story not to make guesses that could damage a civil or criminal case. Best of wishes 

I think you are misquoting Ditchcrawler.