Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Athy said:

That's an interesting distinction which hadn't occurred to me. Of the two local establishments which we go in, one certainly grows its own plants, I think the other (larger) one does too but I couldn't be sure. The smaller one (Golding's) also sells pet and farm animal feed, so I suppose it's somewhere between a nursery and (another sub-division) a country store. The larger one (Skylark) does indeed have a broader range in stock, though we rarely look at anything apart from plants, garden tools and weed/slug killer! So I suppose that's a genuine garden centre.

Roughly what our simian friend said, yes, so the both of you are probably right.

So, nurseries supply garden centres as well as selling directly to the public.

You do realise slug bait is poison, don't put poison in to the environment. Slugs are probably a part of a food chain, let them be. 

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

One of the two nurseries I mention in a previous post does not sell to the public the other has an almost conventional garden centre where he sells plants etc.

Most plants found in garden centres are grown in huge glasshouses in Europe, it is all mechanised, the plants are delivered in prime retail condition, nothing like traditional family nurseries. 

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Most plants found in garden centres are grown in huge glasshouses in Europe, it is all mechanised, the plants are delivered in prime retail condition, nothing like traditional family nurseries. 

You clearly haven't been reading my posts very carefully.  I said to Tree Monkey cheaper to buy plants from Holland.   However there is a commercial nursery 3 miles away which does not allow visitors and purely sells to garden centres.   Ten miles away there is a nursery (one of my ex-pupils actually) who grows the plants he uses in his landscaping business and sells in his "garden centre".     We have a friend down in Lancashire who has a commercial nursery selling to many of the large garden centre chains just as you say mainly mechanised.

Nurseries are not as uncommon as some think.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You do realise slug bait is poison, don't put poison in to the environment. Slugs are probably a part of a food chain, let them be. 

There speaks the voice of informed observation, doesn't even know which other wildlife eats slugs.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You clearly haven't been reading my posts very carefully.  I said to Tree Monkey cheaper to buy plants from Holland.   However there is a commercial nursery 3 miles away which does not allow visitors and purely sells to garden centres.   Ten miles away there is a nursery (one of my ex-pupils actually) who grows the plants he uses in his landscaping business and sells in his "garden centre".     We have a friend down in Lancashire who has a commercial nursery selling to many of the large garden centre chains just as you say mainly mechanised.

Nurseries are not as uncommon as some think.

There are certainly still a fair few UK nurseries but much does come from Europe with the associated problems that can from that (ash die back anyone)

It's a real shame tbh we used to be world leaders but a combination of complacency and the closing/privatisation of the Hort research stations in the 80s left the industry flailing.

Saying that the modern automated production methods are fascinating, when I started, growing toms in rock wool using NFT was fairly new and production of pot mums using daylight control, roller benches seemed high tech it's almost old fashioned now :)

Edited by tree monkey

26 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

There speaks the voice of informed observation, doesn't even know which other wildlife eats slugs.

Toads, blackbirds, newts, the fact that none of these higher creatures are part of the human food chain does not make my post invalid. 

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:
3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Saying that the modern automated production methods are fascinating, when I started, growing toms in rock wool using NFT was fairly new and production of pot mums using daylight control, roller benches seemed high tech it's almost old fashioned now :)

When I was training back in the mid 60s one of the lecturers had what he described as a growth room which in retrospect was a forerunner of modern controlled environment growing.

Things have moved on a lot I was just looking into micropropagation at school when I retired.

45 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Have you missed the news, the whole country is now Tier 5 “Lockdown” so we’ll wait and see if they move, I imagine they will as they don’t seam that bothered with any restrictions. Tonka has a good point.

When will people realise these two guys are not bothered with COVID restrictions it’s all about them, their Vlogs, Amazon Channel and image. They’ve only had the boat 18 month and from day one it’s all been about making a living. 

I think you missed the point, the videos will have been filmed some weeks ago, so what you see now may have been filmed in tier 2 or 3. They would probably do themselves a favour by annotating the filming date on the start of the video.

You have also missed quoted the current situation, the legislation that came into force last night put the whole of England into tier 4 (with a few tweaks to what is allowed in tier 4) there is no "tier 5"! 

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

When I was training back in the mid 60s one of the lecturers had what he described as a growth room which in retrospect was a forerunner of modern controlled environment growing.

Things have moved on a lot I was just looking into micropropagation at school when I retired.

Yeah microprop was the new thing when I first went to college, fascinating stuff

32 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You have also missed quoted the current situation, the legislation that came into force last night put the whole of England into tier 4 (with a few tweaks to what is allowed in tier 4) there is no "tier 5"! 

Thanks for clarifying that, I thought I'd fallen asleep, and missed a Tier upgrade overnight.

I read Lockdown by Peter May at the end of March, what he describes would be about Tier_10 on a scale of one to ten.

I'm perfectly happy to watch interesting vlogs, it's called entertainment. These guys seem to me to be quite good at their chosen profession, having previously been holiday hirers they decided to have a boat built to their requirements, and provide docudrama, if someone doesn't like it, they should do something they do like, instead.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Thanks for clarifying that, I thought I'd blinked and missed a Tier upgrade.

I read Lockdown by Peter May at the end of March, what he describes would be about Tier10 on a scale of one to ten.

We are in a 'Medical Tier 5' which means that the NHS is on the verge of calapsing under the wight of C19 Patients.

The Department of Health confirmed the nationwide upgrade from Level 4 to Level 5, as health services across the UK struggle under “immense pressure”.

In a joint statement on Monday evening the chief medical officers (CMOs) for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and NHS England’s national medical director Professor Stephen Powis  said that without further action there is a risk of the NHS “in several areas” being overwhelmed over the next 21 days.

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I thought National Lockdown was Tier 5, 

If no Tier 5, why when Google many people say we have moved into Tier 5 with new restrictions?
 I don’t think the Tier system really applies now, all I know we are all in National Lockdown. 

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We are in a 'Medical Tier 5' which means that the NHS is on the verge of collapsing under the numbers of C19 Patients.

The Department of Health confirmed the nationwide upgrade from Level 4 to Level 5, as health services across the UK struggle under “immense pressure”.

In a joint statement on Monday evening the chief medical officers (CMOs) for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and NHS England’s national medical director Professor Stephen Powis  said that without further action there is a risk of the NHS “in several areas” being overwhelmed over the next 21 days.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah, OK.  I'm more familiar with lecturers who have, erm, alternative uses for growth rooms. 

I worked at a botanic gardens for a summer (loved that job) and one of the departing students left some gifts hidden amongst the plants in the glasshouses and grounds.

I was shadowing the glasshouse tech whilst he showed a chap around from the University when he got a bit flustered and quickly moved onto a different section. 

Lovely healthy plant it was

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I worked at a botanic gardens for a summer (loved that job) and one of the departing students left some gifts hidden amongst the plants in the glasshouses and grounds.

I was shadowing the glasshouse tech whilst he showed a chap around from the University when he got a bit flustered and quickly moved onto a different section. 

Lovely healthy plant it was

When in halls, one of the cleaners got quite worried that a friend's tomato plant never seemed to produce any fruit ...

Mind you there was also a different lecturer who occasionally awarded a gold stars for good work - and handed you a square of blotting paper with a printed face and a faint stain on it. :D

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

I thought National Lockdown was Tier 5, 

If no Tier 5, why when Google many people say we have moved into Tier 5 with new restrictions?
 I don’t think the Tier system really applies now, all I know we are all in National Lockdown. 

I don’t know here that has come from.  The 6 Jan legislation changes are just an update to the tier legislation, the key bit being

[F56Every area of England, apart from the territorial waters adjacent to England and the airspace above England and those territorial waters, is within the Tier 4 area.]]

The other changes are smaller, like the removal of the excuse to be outside you home of outdoor recreation, the closing of schools to all children but those of key workers, closing some outdoor sites like golf courses, and outdoor sports fields.

You can look at it yourself the site is quite good you see the change history and can look at the document at any point in time.  There is a lot of nonsense in the interpretations put out by the press.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/introduction/2021-01-06?view=extent

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know here that has come from.  The 6 Jan legislation changes are just an update to the tier legislation, the key bit being

[F56Every area of England, apart from the territorial waters adjacent to England and the airspace above England and those territorial waters, is within the Tier 4 area.]]

The other changes are smaller, like the removal of the excuse to be outside you home of outdoor recreation, the closing of schools to all children but those of key workers, closing some outdoor sites like golf courses, and outdoor sports fields.

You can look at it yourself the site is quite good you see the change history and can look at the document at any point in time.  There is a lot of nonsense in the interpretations put out by the press.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/introduction/2021-01-06?view=extent

I’m not really that bothered, all I know is the country is in Lockdown and the advice  on the Canals is essential travel only, something which these Vloggers are failing to understand, while most boaters are adhering to the advice.

31 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The media in general have been a shambles during the pandemic.

Obsessed with creating headlines rather than conveying factually correct information.

Perhaps though we should cut the feckless some slack for just sucking it up verbatim.

41 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t know where that has come from.

Because many people don't understand the difference between the JBC Coronavirus Alert Level and the Tier system, but they heard "Level 5" on the news a few days ago.

We are currently at Alert Level 5, which has nothing to do with Tier 4, Tier 3 etc.

_116346064_r_alert_level_v5_640-nc.png

Here's a BBC explanation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52634739

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Because many people don't understand the difference between the JBC Coronavirus Alert Level and the Tier system, but they heard "Level 5" on the news a few days ago.

We are currently at Alert Level 5, which has nothing to do with Tier 4, Tier 3 etc.

_116346064_r_alert_level_v5_640-nc.png

Here's a BBC explanation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52634739

Are people really that stupid as to mix the two things up, OK you don’t need to answer that! 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Are people really that stupid as to mix the two things up,

Yes.

As admirably demonstrated in this thread.

To be fair though the average reading age in the UK is allegedly only nine, this being what the Sun aim at, so its not really their fault.