Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Wrong again. Plenty of staff including the sergeant on one of my shifts were female. They were not stupid enough to deploy police women into such situations and be a weak link. You are completely clueless with you remarks and it shows you have never been involved in such situations, listen to those of us who have and you may learn some reality. If you dont think females are generaly considered physicaly weaker than males of our species pray tell me why we have male and female olympic games? Police women are better suited to some jobs than male, ask a rape victim who she wants to talk to be it a bloke or another woman. I had a knock at my police house door one sunday morning from a disheveled girl who had been raped overnight, guess who she wanted to speak to between my wife and myself? Get off your high horse and smell the coffee.

The differentiated sports issue is so often trotted out in this sort of debate and it is really not a viable argument:

In the case of sports, such as Olympics, it is all about being the best in class. On the other hand, employment requirements are about what is sufficient for the job and also has to be balanced against several other factors. For example, sports are usually mono-task and someone medal standard in one sport may be rubbish at others. Employment is often multi-featured and a compromise between all of them is needed. 

In addition, it is necessary to set the standards so that enough people can be selected. No use saying that a firefighter has to be an Olympic Gold Medal winner as we would have precious few fires put out on that basis.

In some contexts it is just not possible to recruit enough people to meet former standards which then have to be relaxed but against the background of re-designing the job so that it can be done within that new standard.

Back to the Olympics: in some sports there is a genuine debate about whether gender-differentiated events are justified and - surprise, surprise - even where there is no formal distinction, all too often there is imbalance is practice - is it down to objective difference or prejudice? In addition, in professional sports we are only just beginning to address the earning potential differences across the genders. Since this is (probably) rooted in the different audience preferences (?prejudices?)it cannot be argued that it is about how hard it is to play the game. Is women's football (of any code) really any the less interesting to watch? (Asks he who rarely watches any of it!) There is plenty of debate about why snooker is almost all male and yet thought remarkable when there is a female referee. Does he/she need to strong arm the players? Why so few female jockeys - all the more of a question given that professional jockeys spend much of the life getting their weight down below that of a female? Motor racing?

Of course, we all have prejudices - I admit often to noticing a female truck driver (shows my age!) but then I have to train myself not to let that prejudice influence what I do. In people-related professions, that process has long been an important part of their training.

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, it is Barbara Castle that we have to thank for the canal system we enjoy today.

That is not really true is it.

The Canal system of the early 2000's can be laid at the feet of Barbara Castle, but the canal system we have today is solely down to the mismanagement of C&RT.

BC saw it at its best, but now she would turn in her grave if she saw it today.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

That is not really true is it.

The Canal system of the early 2000's can be laid at the feet of Barbara Castle, but the canal system we have today is solely down to the mismanagement of C&RT.

BC saw it at its best, but now she would turn in her grave if she saw it today.

Read "Being There" by Sir Frank Price, BWB Chairman in the 70's and 80's, to get a flavour of how much BC did to preserve the network.

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Read "Being There" by Sir Frank Price, BWB Chairman in the 70's and 80's, to get a flavour of how much BC did to preserve the network.

That is my point exactly. I know how much she did.

Much of which has been undone since 2012, with the canals in pretty much the worse condition I have seen them for 40 years.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is my point exactly. I know how much she did.

Much of which has been undone since 2012, with the canals in pretty much the worse condition I have seen them for 40 years.

Whilst the canals have been in decline since the mid to late 90's, they are still in much better condition than when I started boating in the early 70's. Back then a tarpaulin to seal the gates and a Tirfor winch to get you over the shallow bits and through narrowed locks were essential equipment for cruising.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Whilst the canals have been in decline since the mid to late 90's, they are still in much better condition than when I started boating in the early 70's. Back then a tarpaulin to seal the gates and a Tirfor winch to get you over the shallow bits and through narrowed locks were essential equipment for cruising.

. . . and the late 60's when we started back when many towpaths were all but impassable for miles at a time. Still, no cylcists!

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

She should have been our first female PM, not that witch Thatcher.

But would you have voted for her Tim?

She was great. I remember her being interviewed years and years ago and asked questions with yes or no simple answers, she did just that, no bullshit, no politician does that anymore. I would have voted for her if she had changed parties ?

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

In my experience they were better until CaRT took over. ln the late 90's early 20's major stoppages were quite rare and broken paddles were fixed within hours rather than weeks. The first time we were held up was coming down the Rochdale in 2006. We were told to wait while the lockie repaired the cill at Todmorden guillotine lock we were held up for 4 hours. Now I worry when I go past the end of Battyeford cut in case we cannot get back to base.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Midnight said:

In my experience they were better until CaRT took over. ln the late 90's early 20's major stoppages were quite rare and broken paddles were fixed within hours rather than weeks. The first time we were held up was coming down the Rochdale in 2006. We were told to wait while the lockie repaired the cill at Todmorden guillotine lock we were held up for 4 hours. Now I worry when I go past the end of Battyeford cut in case we cannot get back to base.

Exactly my experience.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

CaRT taking over was combined with a severe restriction on the future public income to the system. It was bound to change whoever was in charge. Arounbd that time they also took on several 'restored' canals that have been rather expensive in a cost/user basis.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

I agree they have declined more rapidly since CRT took over, however the ooint I was making is thst they have not (yet) declined to the state of dilapidation they were in in the 60's and early 70's.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I agree they have declined more rapidly since CRT took over, however the ooint I was making is thst they have not (yet) declined to the state of dilapidation they were in in the 60's and early 70's.

We are agreeing, that is exactly what both myself (post #154) Midnight (post #159)have said - the best of the canals was the late 90's early 2000's and its all going backwards from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see if they now adhere to lockdown restrictions, as it didn’t seam to bother them last lockdown or in their last Vlog when quite freely moving in Tier 4. Do these guys now think they are some form of “A” Listers of Narrow boating and they can do as they please?

11 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Will be interesting to see if they now adhere to lockdown restrictions, as it didn’t seam to bother them last lockdown or in their last Vlog when quite freely moving in Tier 4. Do these guys now think they are some form of “A” Listers of Narrow boating and they can do as they please?

I would imagine that they now earn their living from making these videos, so would say that these are work journeys.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I would imagine that they now earn their living from making these videos, so would say that these are work journeys.

So all these new Vloggers can move freely around the network stating it’s work, I know what your saying but it doesn’t make it right.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So all these new Vloggers can move freely around the network stating it’s work, I know what your saying but it doesn’t make it right.

If that's how they make their livelihoods, then what else do you suggest?  TV programmes are still being made.  So what's the legal difference?

It feels odd, because they're doing something which the rest of us have been told not to do.  But letting them starve doesn't seem exactly fair.  Of course, for all I know, they earn £5 a month doing it, in which case, they should probably stop. 

What are the less popular vloggers doing?  Where should the line be drawn?

Edited by doratheexplorer

15 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Have the police yet prosecuted anyone for illegally moving on a boat? I would guess not, as they have ore pressing priorities.

On 22/12/2020 at 15:04, Mike Todd said:

. . . and the late 60's when we started back when many towpaths were all but impassable for miles at a time. Still, no cylcists!

.... and virtually no lines of moored boats. There were also quite a few lengthsmen and even the occasional lock keeper. Once they disappeared there were only the faceless wonders at Watford HQ to talk to about problems.

Tam

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have the police yet prosecuted anyone for illegally moving on a boat? I would guess not, as they have ore pressing priorities.

Especially if they are legally allowed to do so.

The fact is there are a lot of anomalies in the Covid world, it's just how it is.

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yep, no restrictions on working at the moment, especially as they are working from home!

So if their boat is used for work does it have a commercial licence, relevant safety gear and suitable insurance? From the earlier description of the scuppers or whatever they called their well deck drains I suspect their boat does not comply with commercial vessel standards. Do they have certification as commercial skippers - a commercial boatman's certificate?  ?

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
to add a smiley
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

So if their boat is used for work does it have a commercial licence, relevant safety gear and suitable insurance? From the earlier description of the scuppers or whatever they called their well deck drains I suspect their boat does not comply with commercial vessel standards. Do they have certification as commercial skippers?

Tam

you're getting your vloggers mixed up, the scuppers were Minimal List

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yep, breaking up toddlers birthday parties in Manchester with 7 people present...(fact)

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Dear god......

Does he Vlog too?