Porthole liners

LadyG

Featured Posts

On 16/10/2020 at 14:14, bizzard said:

When the stoves not alight it should be kept vented to prevent internal rust. A coolie hat and leaving the stoves bottom air control open or door ajar.

I keep a tight cover over my stove's roof fitting all summer. After many years there's no rust at all in there.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I intend to use clear two pack epoxy which is waterproof

Water will get under whatever you put on wood eventually, but if you're selling it in a year or two that shouldn't matter I suppose.

I wonder why you'd use epoxy rather than just yacht varnish which would be much simpler to apply? Don't use polyurethane varnish as it's affected by UV light and cracks.

30 minutes ago, PeterF said:

PRO Cast Notts   do a range of wood effect fibre glass porthole and window liners. They also do standard brass and chrome porthole liners. https://www.procastnotts.com/index.php/liners-fibreglass_liners/?k=48618:38::: 

Thanks, I probably go for these, only the chrome liner is in a prominent place, it matters little about the others which are not in the saloon, and at that price I can afford to do most of the portholes, some are not very accessible. 

We got a couple of liners from here as our sizes weren't standard. Nice quality. They have someone who makes them to order. Measure carefully and then again. https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/bespoke-porthole-service

Just now, Ianws said:

We got a couple of liners from here as our sizes weren't standard. Nice quality. They have someone who makes them to order. Measure carefully and then again. https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/bespoke-porthole-service

Not as cheap as Frey Bentos pie dishes but they wouldn't fit. 

15 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Not as cheap as Frey Bentos pie dishes but they wouldn't fit. 

I m not sure about the M chandlers measurements, they seem to have a 1 inch square which I can't fathom out, and my 13 inch porthole is not exactly 13 inches, but I suspect my dressmaking tape measure is past its sell by date. I lent my metal one to another boater, he did say it was a very handy one, never saw it again! 

Edited by LadyG

That's why you need to measure carefully and understand what you are measuring / looking at. When we bought them in 2019 they had a woman who made them for them to order. She was off work at the time and the quote using an alternative provider from them was over twice the price. I chose to wait until she returned to work and am very happy with what she produced. 

If you aren't sure on any measurements check with them first. 

OK, Wesley windows don't make to order, they don't have 13.5 inch liners, so no help, why they think I would be interested in liners which don't fit, I don't know. 

The Pro cast email has not been delivered. 

I m really more interested in getting the liners, not sure if they need be full depth. I'm sure there must be other suppliers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 21/02/2022 at 19:31, LadyG said:

Thanks, I probably go for these, only the chrome liner is in a prominent place, it matters little about the others which are not in the saloon, and at that price I can afford to do most of the portholes, some are not very accessible. 

I'm near Pro Cast and am ready to order my porthole liners, but there are two queries.

My internal diameter of porthole is approx 13 1/2 inch, , are these correct for 13" portholes?

They make to order, both fiberglass and chromed brass presumably, but their standard depth is 60mm, I think only the bathroom porthole would be as deep., 

I just wanted the raw edges trimmed, say 25mm deep, but should be flush. Anyone had any experience with these, I am close enough to the premises that I could get them to measure up, custom job anyway.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm near Pro Cast and am ready to order my porthole liners, but there are two queries.

My internal diameter of porthole is approx 13 1/2 inch, , are these correct for 13" portholes?

They make to order, both fiberglass and chromed brass presumably, but their standard depth is 60mm, I think only the bathroom porthole would be as deep., 

I just wanted the raw edges trimmed, say 25mm deep, but should be flush. Anyone had any experience with these, I am close enough to the premises that I could get them to measure up, custom job anyway.

So how can we help you, with no photos and you know what you want is custom and Procast will measure up and make?

Why are you not asking Procast?  They will be able to help you unlike anyone on the net.

On 16/10/2020 at 08:36, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Stainless steel dog bowls are really cheap and can also be used to make very good coolie hats for stove chimneys.

Jen

Its a shame they don't make dods in brass or copper. 

dogs

I made a porthole liner with a ring of plywood jigsawed then several pieces of teak parquet finger flooring glued around it. I suppose a bit of a bodge but I rather like it. 

IMG_20230729_152612.thumb.jpg.fe36c28d423af7bd9148c440a3d833c7.jpg

Looking at it as a photo that is actually a terrible bodge isn't it. I still like it !

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So how can we help you, with no photos and you know what you want is custom and Procast will measure up and make?

Why are you not asking Procast?  They will be able to help you unlike anyone on the net.

Because I have a Tyler Wilson, there will be others with the same portholes. as I don't expect the portholes are a one off for this boat.

I don't know that Pro Cast will measure, make and fit, I have emailed them.

The company do make all the items to order, I presume the ones they show as an example are those they made for others. The main point, which I did not seem to get over is that I really only want the edges covered, as every porthole seems to have a slightly different depth, I don't feel the need for full depth to glass. I will need to clean and paint all the interior metal next to the glass anyway, so it just a trim round the cabin wall really. 

I could post photos, but I assume all portholes are the same internally.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Its a shame they don't make dods in brass or copper. 

dogs

I made a porthole liner with a ring of plywood jigsawed then several pieces of teak parquet finger flooring glued around it. I suppose a bit of a bodge but I rather like it. 

IMG_20230729_152612.thumb.jpg.fe36c28d423af7bd9148c440a3d833c7.jpg

Looking at it as a photo that is actually a terrible bodge isn't it. I still like it !

Thanks for your efforts, but I am working away at improving the look. At the moment most of them have a bit of white beading round the edges, the bathroom needs chrome the others maybe not, they are mostly all slightly different in depth.

Edited by LadyG