Short detached navigations

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Western end of the Basingstoke, beyond Greywell Tunnel. 

A number of separate "disconnected" sections currrently on the Wey & Arun.

As with other disconnected sections, water supply can be variable so you can't always launch you coracle!.

Are you going to share your list, once it is more comprehensive?

1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

Wey & Arun Canal has a trip boat and some slipways

Chelmer & Blackwater (difficult to reach for canal craft)

River Stour (Suffolk)

River Tees

Stroudwater (until further restoration to Saul Junction.)

Hope this helps

Both those are rivers though, not canals, and whilst not connected to the main system I'm not sure that is what the OP is after?? 

(Though of course the barrage at the Tees is managed by CRT) - just drove over it again today as it happens.

There must be loads of rivers that match the same criteria.

The Horncastle Canal. Ran from the river Witham, near Tattershall to the eponymous town. Mostly still there and in water, but converted to drainage dykes with the locks replaced by sluices. Could be explored by coracle. Some piccies. Might even be restored one day.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The Horncastle Canal. Ran from the river Witham, near Tattershall to the eponymous town. Mostly still there and in water, but converted to drainage dykes with the locks replaced by sluices. Could be explored by coracle. Some piccies. Might even be restored one day.

Jen

It was really a canalised river, but it incorporated the earlier artificial Gibsons Cut.

The book I bought I bought about the Horncastle canal had obviously been in the bookshop a very long time, as it smelt very musty, I must be very sad buying loads of books about long dead navigation's.

Leven Canal

Aike Beck

Coalisland Canal

Edited by buccaneer66

Thanks all - I will formulate a list at some point. I think navigable has to mean publicly accessible without trespass so im guessing some will fall out at that stage. There could be endless rivers for my hypothetical coracle - the Frome in Frome for example, so I'll have to think about that, probably something along the lines of rivers that have been formally navigable in the past, rivers with abandoned navigation works or something. 

Once I've put it together you can all check it! 

Thanks again

10 hours ago, haggis said:

The Monkland canal? used to be connected to the Forth and Clyde.

B

haggis

I lived near there, every year we had to collect our plough horses from farthest farm, and we galloped them alongside the Monklands, it was full of dead cats

Chesterfield.