Short detached navigations

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Or even long ones!

I'm trying to draw up a list of canals that are navigable but not attached to the main system. There are the obvious contenders, Brecon and Abergavenny for example, and please don't be afraid to quote those, but I'm thinking of littler ones, like the Grand Western or even smaller than that. I've a few in mind but suspect my list is so far off comprehensive as to not really be a list. I suppose my criteria is that it (a) can't be reached without taking a boat overland ( b) has a trip boat, hire boat or you can launch tour own boat. The  Cromford Canal at Cromford and the Bude Canal in Bude would be good examples. I suppose an additional criteria might be "could host a trailboat rally" although that's not why I'm asking!

Any thoughts anyone? 

2 minutes ago, Chris G said:

North Walsham and Dilham Canal and possibly the Ipswich & Stowmarket Navigation.

Very opportune as I'm in Stowmarket on Tuesday and having a holiday in Wroxham later in September! 

I didn't know about either, although I'd seen pics of some work on the NW&D

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Are bits of it still navigable in any way shape or form? 

I'm not sure I'll take my coracle quite that far but it would be interesting to know...

As far as I am aware, not a lot of it is still in water. There is a  bit at the Summerlee Museum where I have seen the wee steam boats pottering around but I agree that it is not worth bringing your coracle up!  

With the Union canal being split in two thanks to a big landslide, part of it qualifies as unconnected but hopefully  it will be joined up again at some point in the future :-). 

haggis

• Greenie 1

Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal. Various restored in water sections. Over and Aylestone Park, plus ?

Chesterfield Canal from Chesterfield to the current head of restoration.

Grantham Canal.

Shrewsbury and Newport Canal. Various bit in water,

The bits of tub boat canal in the Ironbridge museum.

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal. Various restored in water sections. Over and Aylestone Park, plus ?

Chesterfield Canal from Chesterfield to the current head of restoration.

Grantham Canal.

Shrewsbury and Newport Canal. Various bit in water,

The bits of tub boat canal in the Ironbridge museum.

But they were connected to the main system - they're only not connected because bits have been filled in,

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Or even long ones!

I'm trying to draw up a list of canals that are navigable but not attached to the main system. There are the obvious contenders, Brecon and Abergavenny for example, and please don't be afraid to quote those, but I'm thinking of littler ones, like the Grand Western or even smaller than that. I've a few in mind but suspect my list is so far off comprehensive as to not really be a list. I suppose my criteria is that it (a) can't be reached without taking a boat overland ( b) has a trip boat, hire boat or you can launch tour own boat. The  Cromford Canal at Cromford and the Bude Canal in Bude would be good examples. I suppose an additional criteria might be "could host a trailboat rally" although that's not why I'm asking!

Any thoughts anyone? 

Chichester?

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

But they were connected to the main system - they're only not connected because bits have been filled in,

That isn't the question that @magpie patrick was asking. He wants the current, not historic condition. He gives the Cromford Canal at Cromford as an example. This used to connect to the Nottingham and Erewash Canals, but now doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That isn't the question that @magpie patrick was asking. He wants the current, not historic condition. He gives the Cromford Canal at Cromford as an example. This used to connect to the Nottingham and Erewash Canals, but now doesn't.

That's exactly it Jen - I suspect most examples will be "bits" of canal that were once connected to other bits

The end of the Ashby Canal around Moira. Disconnected from the rest by mining subsidence. Hopefully will be connected again.

No one has mentioned the disconnected bits of the Montgomery Canal through Welshpool yet.

The Cotswold Canals at Stroud. Restored and navigable, but disconnected from Saul Junction and Lechlade.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Neath and Tennant Canal.

Swansea Canal.

You could get a small canoe on the Porthmadog Canal.

The Military Canal at Dymchurch.

Railmaponline now has a UK canal map section. Might be worth looking at that.

Edited by Graham Davis

Top end of the Pocklington Canal.

Plenty of it 'in water' but not navigable all the way back to Melbourne.

P1000085.JPG

P1000083.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To add pictures

Wey & Arun Canal has a trip boat and some slipways

Chelmer & Blackwater (difficult to reach for canal craft)

River Stour (Suffolk)

River Tees

Stroudwater (until further restoration to Saul Junction.)

Hope this helps

Edited by Quaffer