Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
LadyG

This week in Thorne

Featured Posts

Nothing to report as tied up next to Thorne Boat Services, to get cat flap and other things installed.

Bought a moustrap at pet shop as I suspect I have a stowaway.

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Nothing to report as tied up next to Thorne Boat Services, to get cat flap and other things installed.

Is it a humane trap, the curved one that rocks. I put a dob of peanut butter in mine and it caught the mouse during the night. I let it go in the field.

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

Is it a humane trap, the curved one that rocks. I put a dob of peanut butter in mine and it caught the mouse during the night. I let it go in the field.

It's a Nipper, but no sign of any livestock , so far......

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

It's a Nipper, but no sign of any livestock , so far......

Murderer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Happy 1

On 08/07/2020 at 21:39, LadyG said:

i’d sack your cat and get a proper one :D 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

i’d sack your cat and get a proper one :D 

I'ts his pet.

Edited by LadyG

Surely a humane trap is more appropriate?  Why do you feel you need to kill the mouse or rat (other rodents are available on request)?  I apologise if this seems a little harsh but I can’t think of a more pleasant way of expressing my point  or have I missed something why a nipper is actually better?

On 12/07/2020 at 15:19, Dartagnan said:

Surely a humane trap is more appropriate?  Why do you feel you need to kill the mouse or rat (other rodents are available on request)?  I apologise if this seems a little harsh but I can’t think of a more pleasant way of expressing my point  or have I missed something why a nipper is actually better?

I tried a humane one, it did not work, but neither has the Nipper, I'm a bit mystified, maybe it has gone ashore, I saw it a few times but not recently.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I tried a humane one, it did not work, but neither has the Nipper, I'm a bit mystified, maybe it has gone ashore, I saw it a few times but not recently.

They come out at night when it's all quiet looking for grub. when it goes into it you will hear the trap rocking on the floor. Peanut butter is the ideal bait, a dob of it at the back of the trap so the mouse goes right in.

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They come out at night when it's all quiet looking for grub. when it goes into it you will hear the trap rocking on the floor. Peanut butter is the ideal bait, a dob of it at the back of the trap so the mouse goes right in.

Poor mouse might have a nut allergy 😂😂

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Maybe the cat has been shamed into doing it's duty? 🤔😁😂🤣

• Haha 1

I catch an average of 2 mice a day in the several traps set in the house and garden.  It was rather more when I had the plant nursery, so I calculate that I have caught upwards of 20,000 mice in the past 30 years.

Recently for some reason an increasing number have still been alive when I found them in my morning inspection, usually caught by a leg, and I've had to kill them.  This was rather unpleasant, so I bought some 'humane' traps.  None of them has caught a single mouse, so I have reluctantly continued with the Nippers.

On 12/07/2020 at 15:19, Dartagnan said:

Yes: dead ones don't come back.

That said, when we had mice in a previous cottage I bought a humane mouse trap from the pleasingly-named "Hamelin House". It caught several mice. I used to take the trap down to school and release the mice which would scamper away, much to the delight of the children who were waiting to go into school.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

None of them has caught a single mouse, so I have reluctantly continued with the Nippers.

Over the years I have tried various humane traps and like you never caught a single mouse.

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Over the years I have tried various humane traps and like you never caught a single mouse.

The Hamelin House brand seems to be no longer in production, but it was roughly like the one illustrated except that it had a squarer section. The mouse, lured by food, went into the end of it, upon which the door closed behind it and needed the operator to reopen it.

humane mousetrap.jpg

I have a small dog who is very competent at catching rabbits and rats. I'm sure he could turn his hand to mice.

You can hire him by the hour. Price to be agreed.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have a small dog who is very competent at catching rabbits and rats. I'm sure he could turn his hand to mice.

You can hire him by the hour. Price to be agreed.

I see that he can now bring an identical co-worker along for those really tough jobs.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I see that he can now bring an identical co-worker along for those really tough jobs.

Indeed. Although Woody is a little stockier so may struggle to get into those hard to reach places :lol:

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I catch an average of 2 mice a day in the several traps set in the house and garden.  It was rather more when I had the plant nursery, so I calculate that I have caught upwards of 20,000 mice in the past 30 years.

Recently for some reason an increasing number have still been alive when I found them in my morning inspection, usually caught by a leg, and I've had to kill them.  This was rather unpleasant, so I bought some 'humane' traps.  None of them has caught a single mouse, so I have reluctantly continued with the Nippers.

My late cat brought hundreds of mice onto the boat, or the same one hundreds of times. I found that a humane trap baited with chocolate worked very quickly. The rabbits and rats were always dead I’m glad to say, and birds were seldom brought in, and those that were were often let go when she got halfway through the cat flap and opened her mouth to say hello to me. I got expert at opening the front doors and shooing them out.

• Greenie 1