We've decided to head north...

magictime

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Ange said:

My worry is more practical - is the Harecastle Tunnel open? I very much doubt there'll be anyone manning it.

I checked with CRT about this when we were considering if Moominmama should apply for a position at the Covid testing megalab in Milton Keynes or Macclesfield. For such a journey it's possible to book a passage.

MP.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Stuff the self appointed covid stasi !

Your need to move is I think quite legitimate.

Thats the kind of posting I like :D You are correct and like myself always very PC!!

• Horror 1

17 hours ago, magictime said:

After four weeks moored at Westport Lake, and with no end in sight to the current situation, we've come to the conclusion that we should probably consider a journey to Leeds (or nearby) 'essential' in our current circumstances.

Number one concern is my health; I should have been having a CT scan now-ish in preparation for brain surgery (another attempt to fix the problem responsible for my haemmorhage in 2017), and although this is on hold for now due to Covid 19 I want to be sure I'm close to the LGI when things start moving again. Arguably this isn't 'urgent' (yet), but with the Calder and Hebble not an option for the foreseeable future, and  a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby ruling out even the Trent as a route north,  we're one unforeseen L&L stoppage away from ending up completely cut off. Plus I don't know how quickly the ball might start rolling on my surgery when the Covid situation eases in the hospital.

So, if you spot us en route, please know that we haven't taken the decision to travel lightly and we aren't just enjoying a nice holiday. I must admit I'm already stressing out about being judged by people along the route who might assume we just don't give a damn. (There does seem to be rather a lot of this around at the minute.)

You should have kept your mouth shut and just gone if you want to do it.

13 hours ago, Rickent said:

Going by road is not quite the same as having to get there by boat is it.

No - you can take a taxi to travel by road from anywhere to anywhere. Oh, wait a minute ...

47 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Stuff the self appointed covid stasi !

Your need to move is I think quite legitimate.

If all else fails. read the instructions. Self-appointed has nothing to do with it. If a person asks a question about the legitimacy of a move, the first thing to bear in mind is that he/she doubts its legitimacy -- otherwise, why ask at all?

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You should have kept your mouth shut and just gone if you want to do it.

But he didn't, which means he thinks he shouldn't. See above.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

But he didn't, which means he thinks he shouldn't. See above.

Or he's concerned about the self-appointed Covid-Stasi he's likely to meet en-route, and wanted some reassurance that his belief in his journey is actually valid, from some right minded people.

Of course he also got a taste of the small minded treatment he's likely to receive on his journey, though in the real world most of them will stay behind their curtains, take a photo, and post it on here.

Edited by eid
  • Greenie 4

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If all else fails. read the instructions. Self-appointed has nothing to do with it. If a person asks a question about the legitimacy of a move, the first thing to bear in mind is that he/she doubts its legitimacy -- otherwise, why ask at all?

I would have thought the answer to that was obvious.

As the guidelines don't specifically sanction specific journeys for specific medical needs the OP is merely seeking views as to if his particular situation fits what CRT have set out (in the wording that I posted). CRT quite rightly have not been too specific IMHO.

Based on the number of supportive posts on this thread along with those that have endorsed the supportive posts by awarding them a 'like' or 'vote up' I would say the OP should feel confident that most reasonable boaters would agree it's a valid reason to move the boat. (if they were asked).

Sadly however I suspect there will still be some who will form judgment just by virtue of the fact he his moving and will no doubt 'tut tut' anyway without being fully aware of the whole picture. I'm almost tempted to advise the OP to put a poster in his window setting out why he is moving but then I immediately think 'why the heck should he have to?'

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Sadly however I suspect there will still be some who will form judgment just by virtue of the fact he his moving

I strongly suspect most people who are against this are sitting at home in their houses, struggling with the green-eyed monster.

Edited by eid

33 minutes ago, eid said:

a taste of the small minded treatment

Alan and I are not being small-minded -- we are pointing out what the rules actually SAY.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Quite possibly. I suspect the human emotion of jealousy may enter the fray on occasion as well.

Jealousy of what? A serious medical condition?

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My point exactly.

Your 'point' I'm afraid is completely irrelevant 

Simply because the guidelines that allow people to move their boat for urgent medical needs make absolutely no reference to the need to have an appointment. No reference what so ever.

20 hours ago, magictime said:

After four weeks moored at Westport Lake, and with no end in sight to the current situation, we've come to the conclusion that we should probably consider a journey to Leeds (or nearby) 'essential' in our current circumstances.

Number one concern is my health; I should have been having a CT scan now-ish in preparation for brain surgery (another attempt to fix the problem responsible for my haemmorhage in 2017), and although this is on hold for now due to Covid 19 I want to be sure I'm close to the LGI when things start moving again. Arguably this isn't 'urgent' (yet), but with the Calder and Hebble not an option for the foreseeable future, and  a stoppage on the Stainforth and Keadby ruling out even the Trent as a route north,  we're one unforeseen L&L stoppage away from ending up completely cut off. Plus I don't know how quickly the ball might start rolling on my surgery when the Covid situation eases in the hospital.

So, if you spot us en route, please know that we haven't taken the decision to travel lightly and we aren't just enjoying a nice holiday. I must admit I'm already stressing out about being judged by people along the route who might assume we just don't give a damn. (There does seem to be rather a lot of this around at the minute.)

Enjoy your journey, ignore the stasi curtain twitchers, as you know perfectly well that your trip is necessary.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Alan and I are not being small-minded -- we are pointing out what the rules actually SAY.

Jealousy of what? A serious medical condition?

You are actually doing nothing of the sort.

What they actually say is this (I'll post then again).

What is essential boat travel?

If you are a live-aboard boater or are currently occupying your boat, then essential movement could be:

• to access water or waste facilities
  • to access essential food and supplies
  • to access urgent medical treatment
  • for emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • for emergency vet treatment for your pet

At this time you should not be making short trips or breaks on your boat for leisure purposes, these are classed as non-essential journeys.

Please point to the section that references the need to have or not have an appointment, or that says you cannot move your home (boat) to be near you consultant for ongoing treatment should it be required.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Your 'point' I'm afraid is completely relevant 

Simply because the guidelines that allow people to move their boat for urgent medical needs make absolutely no reference to the need to have an appointment. No reference what so ever.

I'm pretty sure you meant "irrelevant", but there we are.

If there is no appointment, and treatment is not needed immediately. it cannot be "urgent". The OP stated quite clearly that it was precautionary. That's not urgent. 

4 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Jealous of others being out of the house and cruising down a canal. I thought it would have been obvious.

Don't be silly. You thought wrong, not least because you have no idea whatsoever about my personal circumstances. 

Edited by Machpoint005

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

If there is no appointment, and treatment is not needed immediately. it cannot be "urgent". The OP stated quite clearly that it was precautionary. That's not urgent. 

I read it as taking the precaution of being able to get to a vital appointment which will be offered some time in the nearish future. From his health, long term, that’s a necessary journey.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ah right so now you have appointed yourself a medical expert as well as the covid police?

Goodbye fella - and thank you for reminding me.

The OP has stated that they spoke to CRT and that they have no objections to the journey. Those in the thread quoting CRT guidance and defending their interpretation of it should now accept that they are wrong.

6 hours ago, magictime said:

Thanks! We must have just missed you - we moved on to the Erewash early in December. We were on the Nottingham and Beeston for ages before that with the Trent in flood.

Thanks, yes, we've talked to CRT and they didn't raise any objections. And yeah hand sanitizer at locks, and no stopping to visit shops etc.

3 minutes ago, eid said:

The OP has stated that they spoke to CRT and that they have no objections to the journey. Those in the thread quoting CRT guidance and defending their interpretation of it should now accept that they are wrong.

Well spotted - I think I missed that.

So it's a moot point then.

Leeds & Liverpool is pretty much shut from tomorrow (28th April) lunchtime.

To facilitate essential maintenance works at Barrowford and Whitemoor reservoirs, which supply the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, water levels have been kept at a lower level than normal.  This draw down along with the continued low rainfall means that we have started the boating season with less water than we need for unrestricted movement for the coming months.  With forecasts for further dry weather and Coronavirus related restrictions already in place, we have taken the decision to protect water resources further by implementing closures on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Lock Flights from lunchtime on Tuesday 28 April 2020.  

The following locks will be affected:

Wigan Flight (Locks 65 to 85)

Johnsons Hillocks (58 to 64)

Blackburn Locks (52 to 55) – please note that Locks 56 and 57 at the bottom of the flight will remain open to allow access / winding for the services.

Barrowford Locks (45 to 51)

Greenberfield Locks (42 to 44)

Bank Newton Locks (36 to 41) 

Gargrave (Holme Bridge Lock 30)

Bingley Five Rise Locks (25 to 29)

To conserve as much water as possible while these closures are in place, all flights will be padlocked closed and the gates will be ashed up to reduce leakage.  To prevent unauthorised access through vandalism, measures may be taken to make the locks inoperable. 

Implementing these closures now means that we can reduce the feed to conserve water so that our canals can remain open for as long as possible for the rest of the year, albeit with some restrictions.  It’s not clear how long the closure will last for but it’s likely to be throughout May and potentially beyond if there is no significant, sustained rainfall.  While the closure will prevent use of the lock flights, cruising between the locks for essential purposes will remain available and the towpaths will be open for the local community to use in line with Government guidance.  Please follow all guidance relating to Coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths until further notice.  Up to date information on this can be found on this link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Not moving a boat but last Wednesday I hired a van and drove to Coventry with my daughter  in order to collect all her belongings left in the house she and her friends rented whilst in Uni. She had returned about 4 weeks ago before the lockdown became a reality, however it is impossible to get everything into a Fiat 500, even with the back seat folded down.

The self-righteous goody two shoes can well argue  that this was an unnecessary journey which could have been left until the lockdown is lifted and on the face of it they could be right.

HOWEVER, the house had been unoccupied for over a week so the chances of its contents being infected by corona virus was now minimal AND one of her friends ho is in the middle of a midwifery degree will be returning to the house and is transferring to work as a nurse on the frontline this week, so the chances of contracting the virus will be greatly increased from now on..

So, on the face of it, the wrong thing to do. In reality the safest thing to do. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah right so now you have appointed yourself a medical expert as well as the covid police?

No, but I understand written English. If CRT undertakes to contradict its own advice in special circumstances, that's a matter for the trust and the OP. The fact remains that the guidance uses the word "urgent", not the words "may soon become urgent".

19 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

The self-righteous goody two shoes can well argue  that this was an unnecessary journey which could have been left until the lockdown is lifted and on the face of it they could be right.

Does being right make anyone a goody two shoes? At what point did this stop being the responsible attitude of a law-abiding citizen?  (NB I am discussing the issue in general, not particular. Some people seem unable to distinguish between the two.)

31 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Not moving a boat but last Wednesday I hired a van and drove to Coventry with my daughter  in order to collect all her belongings left in the house she and her friends rented whilst in Uni. She had returned about 4 weeks ago before the lockdown became a reality, however it is impossible to get everything into a Fiat 500, even with the back seat folded down.

HOWEVER, the house had been unoccupied for over a week so the chances of its contents being infected by corona virus was now minimal AND one of her friends ho is in the middle of a midwifery degree will be returning to the house and is transferring to work as a nurse on the frontline this week, so the chances of contracting the virus will be greatly increased from now on..

So, on the face of it, the wrong thing to do. In reality the safest thing to do. 

I wish people would actually read the legislation, not what they heard from a friend in the pub, err I mean on Facebook!

the English law (which I’m citing because you mentioned Coventry) says that a reasonable excuse for leaving home is (para 6 (2)j:

“to move house where reasonably necessary”

I can’t see how your house-moving trip was not compliant with the law.