36ft liveaboard narrowboat dwellers - your testimony is required!

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

The boat looks lovely,and a copper kettle too! When I bought mine it only came with an enamel kettle.

If the hull and engine are as good as the interior and exterior,I am sure you will have many happy years with it.

"Cor,who's that boat with that woman"

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

The boat looks lovely,and a copper kettle too! When I bought mine it only came with an enamel kettle.

If the hull and engine are as good as the interior and exterior,I am sure you will have many happy years with it.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Very kind of you! Hull is almost perfect, engine is as tidy as can be and with low hours - BMC 28hp. The paint is pretty good, but needs some touching up. The roof and other red bits need a couple of new coats - faded. Interior is definitely in need of some touching up and wood around windows needs replacing - all cosmetic. Now I just have to get and KEEP her in great condition. She's a boat with a feeling of duty attached to her - I feel like I'm only 'borrowing' her.

1 hour ago, Albion said:

Looks lovely, nice condition. I reckon you've done well there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60X6uV4zsPI

Roger

Thank you Roger! I watched that video at least 2000 times before I took the plunge! It was done a year and a half ago, and there has been some wear and tear since, but nothing critical. The ex-owners were absolutely superb to deal with. It all feels pretty good. Can't wait to move board - it'll be torture not to be able to cruise in her...can't be THAT much longer until they relax restrictions a bit.

Edited by Jacsprat

46 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Thank you Roger! I watched that video at least 2000 times before I took the plunge! It was done a year and a half ago, and there has been some wear and tear, but nothing critical. The ex-owners were absolutely superb to deal with. It all feels pretty good. Can't wait to move board - it'll be torture not to be able to cruise in her...can't be THAT much longer until they relax restrictions a bit.

I wonder how well the radiators work from the fire, it looks like it could work well with that pipe layout.

That looks like a tidy and well cared for boat. If it had portholes rather than bus windows it would be brilliant ?.

I assume there is a good history and genuine reason for sale etc, and if so I would be very tempted not to spend money on a survey. Reeves made good shells and although its getting on a bit its not old. Try to get a look at the base plate from inside (usually not easy) to check for serious rust, and when next out of the water have a good look at the baseplate from below to judge the degree of pitting, and go for a shot blast and epoxy if required.

Did the previous owners give any info about the state of the steelwork?

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

Bonny little boat. I hope you enjoy it ! A gangplank might help getting the dog on and off. She doesn’t look too big so a ruff wear harness might be good. Our Jack Russel lived in one when out and about. They are very strong and have a handle so you can easily pick them up with. Great for stiles or carrying on and off boats. I have  just looked at their site and they have a larger range now, some with handles and some without. Ours was the webmaster harness https://ruffwear.co.uk/collections/dog-harnesses

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

That looks like a tidy and well cared for boat. If it had portholes rather than bus windows it would be brilliant ?.

I assume there is a good history and genuine reason for sale etc, and if so I would be very tempted not to spend money on a survey. Reeves made good shells and although its getting on a bit its not old. Try to get a look at the base plate from inside (usually not easy) to check for serious rust, and when next out of the water have a good look at the baseplate from below to judge the degree of pitting, and go for a shot blast and epoxy if required.

Did the previous owners give any info about the state of the steelwork?

.............Dave

Hi Dave thanks for the advice! I'll definitely poke around and take everything to bits so I can get an idea of the under-floor condition. Great, intact history - I really can't believe my luck. I know portholes look so much better, but I'm glad for the light. There was a fairly recent hull survey - no pitting, worst spot - 9.8 mm left of the original 10. I'm sure I'll find a few negatives here and there. Prepared for that! 

12 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Bonny little boat. I hope you enjoy it ! A gangplank might help getting the dog on and off. She doesn’t look too big so a ruff wear harness might be good. Our Jack Russel lived in one when out and about. They are very strong and have a handle so you can easily pick them up with. Great for stiles or carrying on and off boats. I have  just looked at their site and they have a larger range now, some with handles and some without. Ours was the webmaster harness https://ruffwear.co.uk/collections/dog-harnesses

You mean like this one below, lol!? I used this harness on the big bike trip - really helped me get her on and off the bike a 100 times a day. There is a gangplank with the boat, but I may invest in a wider folding aluminium one with grip tape for her. Thank you for your kind words. We sure will enjoy it!!

IMG_20190927_104729.jpg

Nice colour. We only had  a choice of red or black. Really handy things, especially  with smaller dogs. We bought our boat without a survey. I was a bit nervous but put some faith in the history and testimony. It was taken out and blacked last year and the surveyor said the hulk was in great condition. Hope all is well when you get yours checked.

3 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Nice colour. We only had  a choice of red or black. Really handy things, especially  with smaller dogs. We bought our boat without a survey. I was a bit nervous but put some faith in the history and testimony. It was taken out and blacked last year and the surveyor said the hulk was in great condition. Hope all is well when you get yours checked.

Yes, great harness - can be a bit hot for her, but she only wears it when necessary. The Big Survey Question - yes, ill-advised not to, but under the lockdown circumstances in this particular case, it was impossible. I did many checks on the boat, a lot of consultation, and in the end, it was worth the risk. I hope!

Edited by Jacsprat

We did the same. Everything stacked up but until confirmed I wasn’t overly worried but had slight concerns.The boat was out earlier this year for survey and blacking, all sweet, hope yours is too. Here’s a picture of our Jack doing what she did best in her harness.

image.jpeg.4590ad3d7ed5b87938f0250a2fea2195.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

We did the same. Everything stacked up but until confirmed I wasn’t overly worried but had slight concerns.The boat was out earlier this year for survey and blacking, all sweet, hope yours is too. Here’s a picture of our Jack doing what she did best in her harness.

image.jpeg.4590ad3d7ed5b87938f0250a2fea2195.jpeg

Just like a terrier - always trying to get stuck in a hole. Nice leggy Parsons there, I see! Thank you for the comforting encouragement. I did have an anxiety break-down over it, but it all feels absolutely great now. Hope to meet you both on the waterways someday!

7 hours ago, Ianws said:

We inherited a half-hundred weight 56kg object with our boat. It’s relatively small, very heavy and going nowhere. Great to tie your lead round. I can’t show a photo as can’t get to my boat.

One also works well as a mud weight. Just not advisable to combine the two uses at the same time.

8 hours ago, Ianws said:

We inherited a half-hundred weight 56kg object with our boat. It’s relatively small, very heavy and going nowhere. Great to tie your lead round. I can’t show a photo as can’t get to my boat.

Just in case the OP is confused :

Half-hundredweight is 56lbs

56Kgs is 123 pounds and not an easy weight to lift on and off the boat.

56lb Potato Weight in NG16 Broxtowe for £40.00 for sale | Shpock

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just in case the OP is confused :

Half-hundredweight is 56lbs

56Kgs is 123 pounds and not an easy weight to lift on and off the boat.

56lb Potato Weight in NG16 Broxtowe for £40.00 for sale | Shpock

Do you polish that when you do the brass

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you polish that when you do the brass

Picture of weight from Google images.

I don't have brass - my 'mushrooms' are self cleaning chrome 'flying saucers'.

No time for polishing, much better things to do.

IMG_20140428_124250.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Good looking boat - looks like it has been well looked after and cared for.

My boat is a bit more modern looking but I am warming to the traditional look more !!

Hope you get the keys to it soon and enjoy it !!

• Love 1

@Jacsprat Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have many years of happy boating.

Having doubts immediately after purchase is normal, but once you get on board and make her yours that rapidly passes.

The night before we bought our boat I thought "What the hell am I doing." The day after I thought "What the hell have I done."

Our boat is a Reeves Hull Weltonfield fit out 45 footer of 1998 vintage.

We purchased the boat nearly 11 years ago now.

Very similar style fit out to yours.

It is  passé by today's  fashions but we love her as she is. A bit like the smell you get from a vintage car!

DSCF2196.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

@Jacsprat Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have many years of happy boating.

Having doubts immediately after purchase is normal, but once you get on board and make her yours that rapidly passes.

The night before we bought our boat I thought "What the hell am I doing." The day after I thought "What the hell have I done."

Our boat is a Reeves Hull Weltonfield fit out 45 footer of 1998 vintage.

We purchased the boat nearly 11 years ago now.

Very similar style fit out to yours.

It is  passé by today's  fashions but we love her as she is. A bit like the smell you get from a vintage car!

DSCF2196.JPG

Thank you for the reassurance! The more I learn about her, the more comfortable I get with other anxieties. I can't wait to get aboard and start putting my stamp on her. Another Reeves hull - fab! Only positive reports on their workmanship - and LOVE your upholstery!! Getting mine updated is on the list of cosmetic jobs. First priority though, will be to update and enlarge solar capacity. Only two leisure batteries and one 100w panel on her at the moment. I'm as daunted as anyone at the prospect of understanding just how to do that, but I may cave in and spend on a pro for help and advice. All post lock-down of course! 

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Good looking boat - looks like it has been well looked after and cared for.

My boat is a bit more modern looking but I am warming to the traditional look more !!

Hope you get the keys to it soon and enjoy it !!

Thank you! I showed you MINE - only fair now that you show me YOURS!