Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thought as much. 

So how come the close season doesn't apply on most canals? What's the rationale, anyone?

Because Fishists were asked and they said they wanted it removed

Same was going on again a couple of years ago  for rivers however it was blocked

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/close-season-retained-following-public-consultation

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Roads no quieter business as normal on my walk to the allotment,  Boris will have a hissy fit and the idiots will be to blame 

The police boss of Manchester was on the Coronavirus news report about it

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

You are still allowed out for exercise and I could imagine in some people's situations making a short drive to somewhere they can walk without meeting others more sensible than from the front door on what maybe a busy pavement. 

Some guy on BBC news said that was OK but I didn't catch who he was

I personally see no reason to maintain a closed (close if you prefer) season. Far more fish are eaten by predatory cormorants, goosanders and otters due to it being quiet with nobody around (all are shy creatures) than are damaged through angling. Angling is no threat whatsoever to the survival of fish species in the U.K. Perhaps with the exception of salmon and seat trout, for which much tighter regulations exist.

10 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I personally see no reason to maintain a closed (close if you prefer) season. Far more fish are eaten by predatory cormorants, goosanders and otters due to it being quiet with nobody around (all are shy creatures) than are damaged through angling. Angling is no threat whatsoever to the survival of fish species in the U.K. Perhaps with the exception of salmon and seat trout, for which much tighter regulations exist.

I think the situation has changed a bit from the old days of the close season, it was almost exclusively natural waters and they were fished quite heavily, it also allowed the vegetation to recover which is no bad thing, I guess most fishing now is on commercial pits, so less pressure on the natural waters

I personally still think the fish should be allowed to get on with producing the next catch in peace

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I think the situation has changed a bit from the old days of the close season, it was almost exclusively natural waters and they were fished quite heavily, it also allowed the vegetation to recover which is no bad thing, I guess most fishing now is on commercial pits, so less pressure on the natural waters

I personally still think the fish should be allowed to get on with producing the next catch in peace

I take your point but personally think that so few people go fishing on rivers these days that it makes no difference. Most of those who support a closed season do so for reasons of sentimentality, which is not something that should be regulated onto others, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

No to both. The season for coarse fishing is closed for the next 3 months. 

From CaRT website

What's the date of the closed season?
The traditional close season for coarse fishing runs from 15 March through to the 15 June inclusive. This applies to all rivers, including the ones we own fishing rights too. But most of our canals are still open. 

What's open
Most stillwaters (reservoirs), except some fisheries that have nature conservation status, can remain open all year for fishing, depending on the fishery owner
Our commercial fisheries
Most of our canals are open for you to fish all year round - especially if you have your Waterway Wanderers permit ready

12 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I take your point but personally think that so few people go fishing on rivers these days that it makes no difference. Most of those who support a closed season do so for reasons of sentimentality, which is not something that should be regulated onto others, in my opinion.

It's not sentimental to allow the fish to breed, i would suggest it's sensible 

40 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

India's now on lockdown for 3 weeks.... 1.3 billion! What a headache ?

But the air is getting cleaner by the minute there smog that hasnt lifted for years has gone! Smith has a friend from the UN that lives there he says they dont fine them if caught outside the house but beat them with sticks...............sounds like a plan ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're getting quite a few walkers going past our boat. We've shut the windows, and drawn the curtains on the towpath side. Luckily the sun is streaming through from the canal side.

Was closing up the boat from 7.30 this morn. Had walked down towpath, keeping distance from fellow moorers' boats and tried as best as could to get a tarp over mine for the next few weeks(and some) as I won't be able to get out on it.. That stretch of towpath is normally quite busy with walkers, cyclists, runners and dog walkers and this morning was pretty much the same. One guy out kayaking for exercise. Was away and home for 10am but a lot of people had been past considering that the roads on the way home were eerily quiet for a weekday. Usual 'morning' gestures from those on towpath and passing boat (probably been for water nearby) but everyone responsible enough to keep proper distance and not try and engage in usual idle conversation.

Personally I'll try to stay isolated as much as I can now, no intention of trying to 'bend' the rules. That just puts yourself and other people at risk. My work isn't important in the grand scheme of things, my travelling to continue doing it at the moment would not help save lives, protect my own or keep people from starving. House, shed, garden, occasional small walk / exercise well away from other people, infrequent shopping only, dropping bags off at my folks' house, away from the door. They're on day 8 of staying in now and seem to get the idea of 'air-gapping' their home (not even me or sis going in the house) and then washing everything that goes through the door aswell as their hands. This nasty thing will not be beaten by being blase about it; it needs constant diligence, minimal movement and as little time outside of the home as is absolutely necessary. On a normal Tuesday afternoon (remember those until a few weeks ago) work would probably have been followed by a couple in the pub if it was sunny. Today, from 10 I've been digging out for a strawberry patch. Normally I would have to feel guilty about doing that on a schoolday. Not today. These are strange and worrying times. Stay safe all

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

What I meant was that the reason often given for keeping the closed season was not to lose 'the magic of the 16th June' 

Ahh ok, I must admit to looking forward to the first day of the season, walking down to a favourite spot on the river just after dawn was a bit special.

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But the air is getting cleaner by the minute there smog that hasnt lifted for years has gone! Smith has a friend from the UN that lives there he says they dont fine them if caught outside the house but beat them with sticks...............sounds like a plan ?

Think West Mids Police would rather like some of those sticks...

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Is this a wind up? ???

He must be involved in enforcing the lockdown

?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

To be specific  2 foot long, inch and a half thick, rattan canes - (having witnessed Indian police persuasion methods first hand)

Edited by bagginz

Idiots like that will try to argue it was multiple gatherings of two, doesn't cover them, back of the houses etc. The pubs were shut for a bloody good reason. Yes, it would be so nice to have a pint or a bbq with mates today but we can't for an imperative and deadly serious reason.

edited to add this was about the bbq picture

Edited by BilgePump
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, bagginz said:

He must be involved in enforcing the lockdown

?

To be specific - having witnessed Indian police persuasion methods first hand, a 2 foot long, inch and a half thick, rattan cane. 

That's got to hurt,  when I was in Goa I did see the said canes but not in use

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Ahh ok, I must admit to looking forward to the first day of the season, walking down to a favourite spot on the river just after dawn was a bit special.

When everywhere was closed 15 march 15 June I had the same feeling. That was eroded when stillwaters and canals remained open. Regardless, that's a personal, emotional thing, I don't believe it's a basis for regulation for all. 

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

That's got to hurt,  when I was in Goa I did see the said canes but not in use

I witnessed the cane in use 3 times in Kerala 18 months ago. 2 young policewomen were combing Trivandrum railway station for loiterers. Most moved immediately when challenged. One bloke argued with them he was set on by both of the girls, gave him a proper beating. I was 'loitering' myself, killing some time before going to the airport. I didn't know this was illegal. I didn't argue when they approached me but had to collect my bag from left luggage. An argument ensued between the police and the bloke on the counter when we got there. I didn't understand but I'm guessing the police were saying he shouldn't have accepted by bag, as my railway ticket had expired. He got a beating as well. The third one was a French guy who was running a guesthouse in Varkala without a working visa. Two policemen spoke to him in English then set on him with the canes, before dragging him off.

India is a brutal country.   

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Two policemen spoke to him in English then set on him with the canes, before dragging him off.

...to a place where they could to negotiate how much baksheesh (money) he'd have to pay them to let him go. 

I

14 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

India is a brutal country.   

Indeed

4 minutes ago, bagginz said:

...to a place where they could to negotiate how much baksheesh (money) he'd have to pay them to let him go. 

I

Indeed

I don't know about that in India. Certainly in most south east Asian countries you can pay the police off for most things. It's perfectly normal, routine almost.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do we really want out police beating people up at will. 

Twat of reporter called  David Prestidge does

He wrote in the Cambs Times

'What do I want to see? I want nothing less than some kind of martial law imposed by the government, and to hell with civil liberties and human rights. The supermarkets should be compelled to operate a rationing system, and if that involves some kind of massive registration of customers, then so be it.

I want to see police and soldiers at checkouts, and I want the vermin who are causing this crisis to be under no illusion that they will be forced to comply, and if that means arrests and criminal charges, then bring it on'

https://www.cambstimes.co.uk/news/view-from-wisbech-blogger-on-coronavirus-crisis-1-6572311

Edited by nbfiresprite

23 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I don't know about that in India. Certainly in most south east Asian countries you can pay the police off for most things. It's perfectly normal, routine almost.

India?  For sure.  It's baksheesh central. Corruption is absolutely the norm.    

It's an Indian copper's dream gig to get posted to Goa - where they can make big money by extorting cash from naive western hippies by planting substances, stopping  motorbikes and demanding documentation which no hirers bother providing.

Consequently it's a hippie's worst nightmare to get pulled over by an honest Indian copper (who you can't make go away with a few hundred rupee notes) 

Edited by bagginz
  • Haha 1