Gas leak

DannyC

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Came home today and turned on the gas to boil the kettle. The flame on the hob got smaller and smaller until it disappeared as happens when the gas bottle has run out. This would not be unusual but we only replaced the gas bottle a week or so ago.

I went out to the gas locker to check the connection and I could smell gas in the locker. It appears that there is a leak, either at the connection at the gas bottle to the gas hose pipe or from the hose pipe itself.

I have closed the valve on the gas bottle to prevent any further leaks and have closed the gas valve that allows for the flow of gas into the oven to be on the safe side.

I imagine that the problem is with the hose rather than a faulty or leaking gas bottle, so is there a way I can test the hose to see if there is a leak, and can I replace the hose myself or do I need to get someone to take a look at it?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, DannyC said:

Hi all,

Came home today and turned on the gas to boil the kettle. The flame on the hob got smaller and smaller until it disappeared as happens when the gas bottle has run out. This would not be unusual but we only replaced the gas bottle a week or so ago.

I went out to the gas locker to check the connection and I could smell gas in the locker. It appears that there is a leak, either at the connection at the gas bottle to the gas hose pipe or from the hose pipe itself.

I have closed the valve on the gas bottle to prevent any further leaks and have closed the gas valve that allows for the flow of gas into the oven to be on the safe side.

I imagine that the problem is with the hose rather than a faulty or leaking gas bottle, so is there a way I can test the hose to see if there is a leak, and can I replace the hose myself or do I need to get someone to take a look at it?

Thanks

Could also be a blown diaphram in the regulator. I'd turn the bottle on again and squirt gas leak fluid on things to find it.  Put your fag out first though.

Just now, DannyC said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Fist check all the connections are tight.?

If urgent Mix up a dilute solution of washing up liquid in water  and apply this to all the joints with a half inch paint brush or similar.  The leak will show bubbles.  A small leak may take a while.

Rinse everything off with fresh water afterwards, cos washing up liquid is full of salt and can cause stress corrosion cracking in the pipe fittings.

If not urgent get some proper leak finding liquid from Screwfix or BES. This won't need washing off.

You can change the flexy hose yourself.  Check for leaks after fitting it using the leak detecting stuff.

I would not be surprised to find a leak at the bottle where the POL connector has not sealed. Both the hose end and the inside of the bottle have to be near perfect to get a seal and any dirt in there from a previous user can damage the bottle, as can dropping the gas hose end.

N

Is it a butane bottle or propane? They have different connectors. 

If propane (red) the chances are the leak is on the bottle connection, they need tightening insanely tight.

Do you have a full bottle to swap to? Until you have, there is little you can do to trace the leak.

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If urgent Mix up a dilute solution of washing up liquid in water  and apply this to all the joints with a half inch paint brush or similar.  The leak will show bubbles. 

Just in case the obvious needs pointing out, the OP's gas bottle is empty so this will not work until he changes it for at least a partly filled bottle...

15 minutes ago, DannyC said:

Thanks everyone. I have a feeling that I may have not tightened it properly. I changed bottles over in the dark.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare propane to test it out with...

Looks like it is take away time!

ill have KFC please :D

A can of leak detector cost £4, and lasts a lot of bottle changes. A scotchbrite pad, wetted with a little leak detector, will clean up the bullnose and give you a halfway decent chance of a gas tight joint. A proper fitting gas spanner is much more reliable than an adjustable spanner, or a pair of grips, as I've seen used on many an occasion.

In the last 2 years I've had 3 Calor Gas bottles leak from the stem of their own valve - only when turned on of course. On only 1 of these occasions have I been able to get the bottle changed or refunded. Previously it happened just once in 50 years. Maybe Calor are neglecting to test or maintain their own bottles properly now.