House With Mooring

mark99

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's an odd one. 

Says it's for sale by auction but doesn't say where or when the auction is. 

Almost interested myself except that £300k seems stupidly cheap. Maybe there is no road access or something. Property details shockingly sketchy. Something doesn't add up. 

And street view link doesn't work.

10 hours ago, mark99 said:

Not too shabby.

I pass this multiple times per year.

One of the best riverside houses on the Wey.

10 mins from the Thames too.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64713618.html

Looks nice - but..... whenever I see a house near water, I check the ‘gov.uk flood map site’ (sorry can’t do link on this iPad thing!)

This one does not look good re. flooding

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an odd one. 

Re the Tamworth cottage: It’s a modern auction, so make a bid via the agent. No need to visit a church hall or pub to sit with the nosey non bidding locals. 

We've passed the cottage and it is beautiful. It is however very small. Three small 1st floor bedrooms and a downstairs bathroom. It’s a G on the Epc so may well need a new boiler and lots of other improvements. 

Edited by MHS

26 minutes ago, MHS said:

Re the Tamworth cottage: It’s a modern auction, so make a bid via the agent. No need to visit a church hall or pub to sit with the nosey non bidding locals. 

We've passed the cottage and it is beautiful. It is however very small. Three small 1st floor bedrooms and a downstairs bathroom. It’s a G on the Epc so may well need a new boiler and lots of other improvements. 

And the mooring is on a very busy short pound with massively variable water levels! 

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Looks nice - but..... whenever I see a house near water, I check the ‘gov.uk flood map site’ (sorry can’t do link on this iPad thing!)

there are many magnificent houses being built along the Thames - they all have an open ground floor level (built on piles or columns) with the main accommodation at first floor level.  I don't understand why this is, except that it allows a large covered space to park the Range Rovers, McLarens and Lambos.    :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

https://flood-map-for-planning.service.gov.uk/confirm-location?easting=507610&northing=164199&placeOrPostcode=weybridge

I will put the £2.4M back in the bank tomorrow.  ;)

Edited by mark99

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an odd one. 

Almost interested myself except that £300k seems stupidly cheap. Maybe there is no road access or something. Property details shockingly sketchy. Something doesn't add up. 

First off it is in Tamworth, which is what you would describe as a affordable area, we bought our first house there as it was so much cheaper than other places in the Midlands.  It still seems that today, about 3 years ago we looked at a house in Tamworth with a mooring, it was a 30 year old 5 bed property for I think 400k. So you would expect to get a lot of property for your money there.

Secondly, looking on google maps I don’t see that it has any road access at all.

Thirdly, why does an estate agents details not show anything about that internals of the property, you have therefore to assume it’s a wreck.

Taking all that into consideration I would not call it cheap, and will not be reaching for my cheque book.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Yes I read that. If all you do is submit your best offer to the agent then wait to hear, this is no different from the way they sell any other house.

The whole point of an auction is you DO sit in a room with all the other interested parties and the lot of you bid against each other until the bids stop getting higher, then the highest bid IS legally committed. The whole process takes about five minutes. 

Calling this a "modern auction" is misleading. Its nothing like an auction. It is an estate agent simply inviting conditional offers. Conditional on contract exchange in 30 days and completion 30 days on from that.

A brief bit of digging reveals the "Modern Method of Auction" seems to be a right old scam, whereby the estate agent collects £6k from the buyer which does not form part of the purchase price. And the buyer loses that money if they fail to exchange contracts. Presumably the seller pays a similar amount but this is not clear.

See this thread on MSE:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3090250&highlight=modern+method+of+auction

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an odd one. 

It is the lock cottage by the lower of the two Glascote Locks.

A couple of years ago I spoke to a man from CRT who had come to look at water ingress into the cellar. Don't know whether it got resolved or not though.

Edited by cuthound

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

A couple of years ago I spoke to a man from CRT who had come to look at water ingress into the cellar. Don't know whether it got resolved or not though.

Ok thanks!

Looking on gogglemaps yes the impediment is no road access. The only access to the house is across the lock so unless there is a right of way over it, I'd say the house is landlocked and unmortgageable. No fun if any major building work is ever needed. 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There doesn't seem to be a street view for the access point of the building but this is the best I could come up with and as close as I could get. 

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.625474,-1.682665,56.61h,-10.83p,0.37z

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.625797,-1.682378,-167.34h,5p,1z

MtB - Looking on gogglemaps yes the impediment is no road access. The only access to the house is across the lock so unless there is a right of way over it, I'd say the house is landlocked and unmortgageable. No fun if any major building work is ever needed. 

I think this is the access point here - https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.626097,-1.679829,248.54h,-6.96p,0.22z

In the advert all the pictures are of the house surroundings and the gardens has been carefully photographed to hide the fact that it has been attacked quite harshly with a strimmer this makes me think that the house has for some reason been left to become run down and for the right person might be quite a good buy but it certainly won't be for every body. I personally would quite like the house, for me it's not the dodgy access and the run down state it's the sodding great block of flats that it looks out on that would put me of. 

Edited by Tumshie

57 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I'm surprised 'estate agent speak' didn't list it as having an indoor pool

This 3 bedroom bungalow is for sale near to the Glascote locks one. £100k more, but has road access, potentally a better mooring (the garden appears to be at least 60 foot wide), and appears to be in good condition. View from the front isn't great, it overlooks the Tesco Express.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51587735?search_identifier=898aeb62a40e3d79759d3765d2980253

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I read that. If all you do is submit your best offer to the agent then wait to hear, this is no different from the way they sell any other house.

The whole point of an auction is you DO sit in a room with all the other interested parties and the lot of you bid against each other until the bids stop getting higher, then the highest bid IS legally committed. The whole process takes about five minutes. 

Calling this a "modern auction" is misleading. Its nothing like an auction. It is an estate agent simply inviting conditional offers. Conditional on contract exchange in 30 days and completion 30 days on from that.

I’ve been to a couple of house auctions years ago, but sadly with not enough fund to bid at the time. They are very interesting affairs. 

My understanding is that the modern auction is more like a traditional one than you suggest. We saw a windmill near Audlem for sale with this method. The latest bid and next offer suggestion was shown on the agents website and looked a similar set up to eBay. 

20 minutes ago, MHS said:

My understanding is that the modern auction is more like a traditional one than you suggest.

But the very essence of an auction is there is a day when you turn up and either win the item or lose it. The point is that it gets sold. 

With this, it just seems to be a method of collecting concealed bids and at some point secret from the bidders, and at the whim of the seller, a bid gets accepted. 

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

With this, it just seems to be a method of collecting concealed bids and at some point secret from the bidders, and at the whim of the seller, a bid gets accepted. 

The agent’s site we saw James duPavey (I think) did show the current and invited next bid. There was also a clearly indicated end date and time for bids, again like eBay. 

It’s certainly not a method that I would want to be having to use to secure a property. 

1 minute ago, MHS said:

The agent’s site we saw James duPavey (I think) did show the current and invited next bid. There was also a clearly indicated end date and time for bids, again like eBay. 

It’s certainly not a method that I would want to be having to use to secure a property. 

My point exactly. The agent is in control of what bids he accepts and lists, there is no auctioneer. I didn't notice an end date mentioned on the house we are discussing. Is there one?

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

again like eBay. 

Ebay is NOT an auction site. Ebay go to great lengths to make this clear. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks!

Looking on gogglemaps yes the impediment is no road access. The only access to the house is across the lock so unless there is a right of way over it, I'd say the house is landlocked and unmortgageable. No fun if any major building work is ever needed. 

Might have to hire a water version Ford Transit?

That's one of those old leaky botes that cost a lot of money which spend their time carrying 60 foot of air around the system and going round in shows for the chaps with grey beards to look at.  ;)

Edited by mark99

Old working boats can indeed develop leaks which need mending, sometimes at great expense, but all boats can.

A lot of boats have the word "Carrying" on the side but only carry 60 foot of air, or have been converted for living accommodation. Good luck to them, each to his own, and it's unsurprising when there's only so much cargo available to carry by water nowadays.

Should the purchaser of the cottage by Glascote bottom lock or any other waterside property need access to bring in building materials, the lack of a road should not be an obstacle. The CBOA (Commercial Boat Operators' Association) exists to promote inland water transport, and has members ranging from chunky sized vessels on river estuaries down to narrow boats. In this instance I suggest that the NBT are best located to help; I could put them in touch with the right people.

8 hours ago, Murflynn said:

there are many magnificent houses being built along the Thames - they all have an open ground floor level (built on piles or columns) with the main accommodation at first floor level.  I don't understand why this is, except that it allows a large covered space to park the Range Rovers, McLarens and Lambos.    :rolleyes:

The last two vehicles make sense; low profile to fit under the building, and fast enough to drive your very expensive motor away to higher ground quickly when the inevitable flooding happens. Occasionally that open level will become part of the river, and the owner will appreciate not having to open garage doors first.