Springer 45ft Cruiser1977

Ksta6

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes someone will pay the asking price or close to it, so in that sense it's worth that much to someone, but it shouldn't be the OP since she's had the the sense to ask here.

It's already been posted : £10 -£12k

But would folk really pay that for a 42 year old Springer ???

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Well spotted! I don't see any sign of a chimney on the roof either.

Haggis

There is a chimney on the roof, see photo no. 1. However, the flue and chimney are not connected so it could get quite smoky inside.

8 hours ago, Canal321 said:

How about this one then. EBay number - 254325784656

'State of the art heating system' ...

A calorifier,  like that's never been done before.. 

Someone has spent a lot of cash on an old Springer albeit a late hull.

Worth £32K maybe if you like that sort of thing? 

12 hours ago, dmr said:

OP,

If you can find £20k for a dodgy boat then could you run to £30k?   Away from London 30 will get you a nice solid boat (if you choose carefully) rather than a financial liability, and you can have the pleasure of driving it down to London and learning a bit about boating and the big non-London canal system as you go. Danger is you might choose to become a boater and leave London, it happens loads :).

.............Dave

Here lies the problem. 10k is a hell of a lot of money if you are skint. The OP it seems has left the thread as probably doesnt want or like to hear what truth is being said by forum members. 30k buys a cracking boat. I have one at my disposal at the moment for instance a 97 Piper 41 footer with a lovely sabre fitout. Immaculate interior that needs nothing. 3 pot beta engine cruiser stern. Lovely boat with quality fittings that needs not a penny spending mechanicaly or interior. Could do with a top paint but not bad. Solid hull completely straight has never been through a lock. Buy and drive away. So its half the age and ten times the boat but still 10k more.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Here lies the problem. 10k is a hell of a lot of money if you are skint. The OP it seems has left the thread as probably doesnt want or like to hear what truth is being said by forum members. 30k buys a cracking boat. I have one at my disposal at the moment for instance a 97 Piper 41 footer with a lovely sabre fitout. Immaculate interior that needs nothing. 3 pot beta engine cruiser stern. Lovely boat with quality fittings that needs not a penny spending mechanicaly or interior. Could do with a top paint but not bad. Solid hull completely straight has never been through a lock. Buy and drive away. So its half the age and ten times the boat but still 10k more.

This is how capitalism works, if you have enough money then you get good stuff and it serves you well, but if you have little money you get crap stuff and either spend more money and time fixing it, or watch it go downhill and lose the little investment that you could barely afford in the first place. There must be a better way?

Currently moored among boats of all types, from the shiny posh to the minimal plastic cruiser, funny thing is the people on the cheaper boats appear just as happy, if not happier, than those on the posh boats.

.............Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

if you have enough money then you get good stuff and it serves you well, but if you have little money you get crap stuff and either spend more money and time fixing it, or watch it go downhill and lose the little investment that you could barely afford in the first place.

Also known as the "Vimes theory of economics" - a rich man can afford a decent pair of boots that last for years; a poor man can only afford cheap boots which leak and need replacing each year.

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

This is how capitalism works, if you have enough money then you get good stuff and it serves you well, but if you have little money you get crap stuff and either spend more money and time fixing it, or watch it go downhill and lose the little investment that you could barely afford in the first place. There must be a better way?

Currently moored among boats of all types, from the shiny posh to the minimal plastic cruiser, funny thing is the people on the cheaper boats appear just as happy, if not happier, than those on the posh boats.

.............Dave

We had a fantastic time for a few years on our first old banger of a boat. Far more fun than years later with the Hudson.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Do you have an ad?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We had a fantastic time for a few years on our first old banger of a boat. Far more fun than years later with the Hudson.

Did you lose all your money on it?

5 minutes ago, Ksta6 said:

Do you have an ad?

I would suggest having a look BEFORE an ad gets published. This boat sounds to me as though it will sell to the first person to call about it. You have a golden opportunity here to be that person. Send him a PM!

Thanks to everyone for their replies. 

I guess the general consensus is too avoid and look elsewhere. 

The seller would accept 16.5k as that was 'half' agreed but with no exchange of money and on the conditions I could review after some advice. 

I have a week to make up my mind so all is not lost, maybe just some time.

5 minutes ago, Ksta6 said:

Do you have an ad?

Did you lose all your money on it?

I did not lose any money on  my first boat. As for the one now for sale, I do not have an add. The facts are its not up for sale anywhere as the owner has just been bereaved and is not selling to raise money as that is not an issue. My bezzy friend will be handling the sale for his mother. Its an exellent boat that will sell with absolute ease. She will never use it again due to the circumstances. These are the best boats to buy, its not for sale to get rid its down to very unfortunate circumstances and is a very well maintained boat that has seen very little use. She is the second owner having owned it from 2001 till now. If you are a genuine buyer with funds actualy looking to purchase a boat pm me and we can take it from there. Thanks.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I did not lose any money on  my first boat. As for the one now for sale, I do not have an add. The facts are its not up for sale anywhere as the owner has just been bereaved and is not selling to raise money as that is not an issue. My bezzy friend will be handling the sale for his mother. Its an exellent boat that will sell with absolute ease. She will never use it again due to the circumstances. These are the best boats to buy, its not for sale to get rid its down to very unfortunate circumstances and is a very well maintained boat that has seen very little use. She is the second owner having owned it from 2001 till now. If you are a genuine buyer with funds actualy looking to purchase a boat pm me and we can take it from there. Thanks.

I have PM'd you :)

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I would suggest having a look BEFORE an ad gets published. This boat sounds to me as though it will sell to the first person to call about it. You have a golden opportunity here to be that person. Send him a PM!

We cross posted there Mike. Your experience shows through, you are precisely right, it will probably never see the likes of apollo duck as its genuine.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We cross posted there Mike. Your experience shows through, you are precisely right, it will probably never see the likes of apollo duck as its genuine.

In situations like this, it is often a case that the seller badly wants the boat to go to someone who will love and appreciate it, rather than a trader or someone just looking to turn a profit. In cases like this being that person is more important than the price it is being sold for. 

It was a bit like this with my first ever boat. The seller sort of just asked "how much can you afford" and took the figure we said, as I think he liked us. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, blackrose said:

Looks like a Springer to me

Agreed. Early Springers had chined base plates (not sure about later ones). The theory at the time was that it gave some stiffness to the base plate because Springer used thin steel plate which would not have been so suitable for a flat base plate width.

Roger