Springer 45ft Cruiser1977

Ksta6

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As no-one has attempted to value it yet, I'd say £10k would be a fair price and the sum an insurance company would pay out in the event of a total loss.

I just looked at the ad on the duck. The asking price is £20,000, and of course it’s in London. The interior has been tarted up but of course thats the easy bit. No exit from the bows immediately rings alarm bells. Like MTB it doesn’t look like a Springer to me. Looks like some overplaying has been done. That stove installation looks dodgy to me and with no access to the bows where is the high level ventilation? Air cooled Lister, pass me the earplugs please. I know not everyone can spell gud but if you are advertising something for £20,000  Shirley you can get someone to check it as well as using a spell checker. I would run, not walk away from this and not waste money on a survey. As someone else said, hull and engine are the important things not a coat of paint.

That is not a boat thats been given the London look, yes there is some white paint but if you give your specs a quick clean you'll see that that paint work wasn't done anytime lately. Also there is nothing about that interior thats new, in fact I'd say none of it is yonger than me - my grandparents had kitchen cupboards like that made in the 50s I don't think anyone still knows how to make cupboards like that anymore. The OPs boat is on the duck for the same price as every other 45ft on there and that's not 12 grand. 

Edited by Tumshie
spelling
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Stewart Kirby said:

I just looked at the ad on the duck. The asking price is £20,000, and of course it’s in London. The interior has been tarted up but of course thats the easy bit. No exit from the bows immediately rings alarm bells. Like MTB it doesn’t look like a Springer to me. Looks like some overplaying has been done. That stove installation looks dodgy to me and with no access to the bows where is the high level ventilation? Air cooled Lister, pass me the earplugs please. I know not everyone can spell gud but if you are advertising something for £20,000  Shirley you can get someone to check it as well as using a spell checker. I would run, not walk away from this and not waste money on a survey. As someone else said, hull and engine are the important things not a coat of paint.

£20K!

walk away

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

That is not a boat thats been given the London look, yes there is some white paint but if you give your specs a quick clean you'll see that that paint work wasn't done anytime lately. Also there is nothing about that interior thats new, in fact I'd say none of it is yonger than me - my grandparents had kitchen cupboards like that made in the 50s I don't think anyone still knows how to make cupboards like that anymore. The OPs boat is on the duck for the same price as every other 45ft on there and that's not 12 grand. 

Not sure I agree with these words of wisdom ? I agree that the cupboards etc are old but to me it looks as if the doors, drawer fronts etc  have very recently been given a coat of paint. Hard to tell how new the white paint it without seeing it  but the whole boat looks to me as if it has been titivated to sell - not refurbished but given a lick of paint. I don't see any scuff marks or fingers print marks which you tend to get on older paint . 

haggis

Horribly overpriced. Forget it, ignore and go find a boat away from overpriced London and the South. Preferably not an antique cocked up tin can but a real 10-6-4 hull made by someone who cared not an oil tank welder who cut up gasometers for the scrap steel.

As I said £12K absolute maximum, In 2 years time it will be worth £6K at best.  Leave it for a right mug to lose a fortune on.

21 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not sure I agree with these words of wisdom ? I agree that the cupboards etc are old but to me it looks as if the doors, drawer fronts etc  have very recently been given a coat of paint. Hard to tell how new the white paint it without seeing it  but the whole boat looks to me as if it has been titivated to sell - not refurbished but given a lick of paint. I don't see any scuff marks or fingers print marks which you tend to get on older paint . 

haggis

There has been some painting of the doors you can see the sliding shower door may have had a lick of paint - I am by no means saying it's had nothing done but if you pull up the photos on the duck and have a good look there are lots off scuffs and marks from general ware and tear on corners and door frames and the kicking boards - I'm not saying that it gods gift of a boat by any shape means or form, sorry OP, it wouldn't be for me but there are some here like BS who are trying to insinuate that it has been given a "smart new interior" which is clearly BS it hasn't. The some bits of the boat have had a clean and they have tried present it well but it is advertised at the going rate of every other boat of it's kind on the market so being clean (ish) and well presented is hardly a sign that it worth £10 grand less than the advertised rate - will the seller accept less than £20 grand for it very likely, but if I was the OP right now I would be HELLA confused by all the stuff being thrown around bearing in mind she says she doesn't know very much right now. There are probbly lots of reasons for not buying this boat - I'd say the London look's the least of them. 

PS the toilet is howfin there is nothing clean about that toilet ???

Edited by Tumshie
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Horribly overpriced. Forget it, ignore and go find a boat away from overpriced London and the South. Preferably not an antique cocked up tin can but a real 10-6-4 hull made by someone who cared not an oil tank welder who cut up gasometers for the scrap steel.

As I said £12K absolute maximum, In 2 years time it will be worth £6K at best.  Leave it for a right mug to lose a fortune on.

For once, Boater Sam and I are going to agree on every last detail

It isn't worth £20k, it's barely worth £10k - for £20k you can get a much, much better boat. 

Would I buy a springer? Yes, but not at that price and not with that layout

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

for £20k you can get a much, much better boat. 

I do think this is true. Just avoid anything being sold in London and you will see a big difference in the amount of boat you get for your buck. 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/listings.phtml?view=1&layout=1&fx=GBP&minv=&maxv=25000&minl=0&maxl=0&ymin=&ymax=&type=&sort=0&iso=gb&limit=50

37 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

...............it is advertised at the going rate of every other boat of it's kind on the market ………...

You are forgetting that Springers are the Trabants of the boat world collectable for those that want an oddity buy virtually unsellable to a knowledgeable 'public' 

Your post is suggesting that if a 1990 Rolls Royce is for sale at £20,000, then every 1990 car is valued similarly, which I'm sure you will agree is nonsense.

Springer 41

Similar size

Same engine

Overplated

Needs clearing out and some paint :

£6000

You can buy a lot of paint and worktops for £14,000

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Canal-Narrow-Boats-for-sale/springer-unknown/249803?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sailboats

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

It isn't worth £20k, it's barely worth £10k - for £20k you can get a much, much better boat. 

Yippee!!! Yes, a result! Agreement!

• Happy 2

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are forgetting that Springers are the Trabants of the boat world collectable for those that want an oddity buy virtually unsellable to the 'public'

Your post is suggesting that if a 1990 Rolls Royce is for sale at £20,000, then every 1990 car is valued similarly, which I'm sure you will agree is nonsense.

No I'm not, what I'm saying is that all the other boats on the market are being advertised at the same price so to just waltz in and say to the seller - my friend says your boat is worth 50% less than the price you want for it so I'm not paying you what you're asking - is not going to cut it, he is going to laugh in her face and tell her friend is an idiot (you're the friend by the way). She knows nothing about boats and has no leverage and little confidence to push a deal with. If she goes into that sale armed only with the knowledge that you told her the boat was worth 50% less that the advertised price she'll get eaten for lunch. Why because all the other boats are advertised at £20 grand and if she doesn't want to pay that then someone else will, how does she counter that argument except with "but my friend said" - LUNCH. If she is going to pay £10 grand for that boat then she needs to go into that deal KNOWING exactly WHY that boat is only worth £10 grand - is it still only worth £10 grand in London or just in Rugby? - she then has leverage and while she distracts him with her baby blues she can tie him in knots with her superior facts and knowledge and gets a boat at a fair price. I swear to god just because I'm not as old and cynical as you lot does not mean I'm a fluffy bunny hugger... Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie
Cos it needed an emoji :)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

All of this ^^^^^

Last year we sold a decent running 1990 mid range builder, 60' well kept inside boat for £21k. It went within 24 hours because it was priced cheap. The boat being looked at by the OP is way overpriced. Springers have shown themselves to be decent boats, but they are not worth silly money (unless you give a few ply cupboards and the lining the 'London' look)

18 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

All of this ^^^^^

Last year we sold a decent running 1990 mid range builder, 60' well kept inside boat for £21k. It went within 24 hours because it was priced cheap. The boat being looked at by the OP is way overpriced. Springers have shown themselves to be decent boats, but they are not worth silly money (unless you give a few ply cupboards and the lining the 'London' look)

The trouble is that 'they' do sell - because most folks don't come on here and ask.

Given that most of the comments are negative, I suspect that the OP may uitter some uncouth words and walk away from HERE. That would be a shame as it's poor value.

Quite apart from the existing comments methinks that for a liveaboard without 'leccy and even a moderate demand  for onboard power an SR2 is NOT a suitable generator of power, not the least that getting any 'power' out of that sort of engine is a very real challenge as the pulleys etc don't make for spinning an alternator very fast.

Enough - My Management as summoned me for our evening repast...

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The trouble is that 'they' do sell - because most folks don't come on here and ask.

Given that most of the comments are negative, I suspect that the OP may uitter some uncouth words and walk away from HERE. That would be a shame as it's poor value.

Quite apart from the existing comments methinks that for a liveaboard without 'leccy and even a moderate demand  for onboard power an SR2 is NOT a suitable generator of power, not the least that getting any 'power' out of that sort of engine is a very real challenge as the pulleys etc don't make for spinning an alternator very fast.

Enough - My Management as summoned me for our evening repast...

Also an air cooled engine won't provide "free" hot water when it is running.

Recently sold my boat(1978 Hesford Marine) in good nick,no overplating,BMC engine, and I reluctantly accepted £12000.

The main reason for it not attracting better offers was stated by a couple of viewers, was the age.

A 41 year old boat (unless it's a historic one) is unlikely to command a high price.

I agree with a couple of posters that this boat is only worth £10-12k.

Many boats are advertised for prices well above their worth,in the hope that a newbie naive person will come along and buy it(sadly they frequently do).I know,I was one,but in the words of an old jazz song "I's done got wise".

I recommend studying past posts on this forum on the subject of boat buying,there have been a lot! and after a time I am sure you will get a better feel for what you are about to embark on.

4 hours ago, Captain Fizz said:

I notice that it has no inverter, so no mains power when away from a land based supply.

Will definitely require more leisure batteries and a more powerful three stage charger.

How much are they asking?

Why? Lots of boats have no mains systems or mains chargers. It really depends on what the buyer intends to do with it. Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anything which mentioned that the OP has a mooring with shore power. On the other hand a powerful mains charger is only really of went use if you're running it from a generator. If you're hooked up to shore power then a relatively small smart charger is fine as it can charge indefinitely.

4 hours ago, Stewart Kirby said:

For £20k I'd walk away too, but as an ex-owner it looks exactly like a Springer to me. 

Did you mean low level ventilation? It's not compulsory of course.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Yes someone will pay the asking price or close to it, so in that sense it's worth that much to someone, but it shouldn't be the OP since she's had the the sense to ask here.

3 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

£20,000 grand for a boat that old sounds like(only)a London price to me.No way would that be an asking price elsewhere ! If it was elsewhere...how much ?

It's already been posted : £10 -£12k

OP,

If you can find £20k for a dodgy boat then could you run to £30k?   Away from London 30 will get you a nice solid boat (if you choose carefully) rather than a financial liability, and you can have the pleasure of driving it down to London and learning a bit about boating and the big non-London canal system as you go. Danger is you might choose to become a boater and leave London, it happens loads :).

.............Dave