Can't find water pump on off switch

Featured Posts

Been looking at a boat today with the intention of buying. The guy selling it never used the shower or sinks and on the panel dashboard it's got switches but none are fir the water pump. 

It's a 32 foot cruiser 1980, sorry that's only info I have currently. Is it possible there is no switch amd it's just connecting new battery or are switches on some boats in unlikely places? 

Cheers 

Will try and get more info 

Anything is possible. It may or may not have a seperate switch or fuse or trip somewhere. Could be on the distribution board or anywhere esle. Try to trace the wires from the pump. Its an easy enough job to sort some sort of trip/fuse/switch out anyway.

16 minutes ago, wooney00 said:

The guy selling it never used the shower or sinks 

17 minutes ago, wooney00 said:

it's got switches but none are fir the water pump. 

One wonders if these two facts are related....

How do you know there IS a water pump at all? Did you see it? If so, the only surefire way to find the switch if there is one, is follow the wires. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

One wonders if these two facts are related....

How do you know there IS a water pump at all? Did you see it? If so, the only surefire way to find the switch if there is one, is follow the wires. 

He indicated that the guy who sold it had water running but he never used it 

1 minute ago, wooney00 said:

Is there a small 'horseshoe shaped cut out under the sink ?

Our offshore cruising boat has a 'manual' foot pump so if the electrics 'go' you can still pump water.

We also had one in our caravan many, many, many years ago.

It would be unusual in a narrowboat but never say never !

(You don't say if it is a 32 foot Tupperware Cruiser or a 32 foot Steel sewer-tube)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Is there a small 'horseshoe shaped cut out under the sink ?

Our offshore cruising boat has a 'manual' foot pump so if the electrics 'go' you can still pump water.

We also had one in our caravan many, many, many years ago.

It would be unusual in a narrowboat but never say never !

(You don't say if it is a 32 foot Tupperware Cruiser or a 32 foot Steel sewer-tube)

I didn't notice that but not to say there isn't one. It's a fibreglass cruiser 

7 minutes ago, wooney00 said:

... never seen a boat without a switch on the panel 

WotEver didn’t have a switch on the panel. It had two two-way switches, one in the galley and one in the bathroom. 

16 minutes ago, wooney00 said:

These two 'facts' don't really stack up if you think about it a bit more.

Like I said, the only way I can think of is to find the pump then follow the wires to find the switch. To find the pump, find the water tank and follow the pipe from it! 

Belfast's water pump is under the floor of a full height coat/broom cupboard, and the switch is at the top of the cabin side in the back of the cupboard. It is labelled, which is good, as all the wiring is behind the linings and completely inaccessible.

In my opinion its very important to have a pump switch easily to hand and to switch it off when going out and leaving the boat unattended. A pipe joint might might pull apart, especially with plastic piping and flood the boat out. I've dealt with two boats over the years where this has happened.

Are you sure this sale is legit? Does the bloke actually own the boat he is selling? A good familiarity with the boat is one test of a genuine owner. Never used the sink?????

...............Dave

Thanks for that info, good to know there are a few other locations to consider. 

Think I just expected it to be a shiny button on the dashboard... 

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Are you sure this sale is legit? Does the bloke actually own the boat he is selling? A good familiarity with the boat is one test of a genuine owner. Never used the sink?????

...............Dave

I get why you're saying that, he's just not really used the boat. All paper work is there, keys etc. 

I'm quite wary normally but I'm guessing some people just don't use all the facilities on their boat. 

Edited by wooney00

9 minutes ago, wooney00 said:

Thanks for that info, good to know there are a few other locations to consider. 

Think I just expected it to be a shiny button on the dashboard... 

I get why you're saying that, he's just not really used the boat. All paper work is there, keys etc. 

I'm quite wary normally but I'm guessing some people just don't use all the facilities on their boat. 

Does the paperwork tie back to him and is he the person the paperwork ties back to?

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Some cruisers use caravan taps with micro switches in the taps so maybe no external switch.

My boat is like David's, 2 switches and none on a panel. One in galley and one in washroom

Only just seen this thread.

I too thought micro switches in taps was a possibility.