Dover ferry drives up the beach

granddad

Featured Posts

What a sad sight .... impressive, but sad all the same.

She looked in much better condition than a lot of the boats you pass moored on the towpath.

I haven't clicked on the link, but are we talking about Pride of Calais here? If so, as someone who commutes across the channel for work, I can confirm that she was not in good condition.

Was my first choice for traversing the channel regularly in the mid-90s because it seemed to have better Sausage Chips and Beans than the other boats.

A combination of the Pride of Calais and a Suzuki GS1000 got me to Paris quicker than my colleagues flying from Heathrow.

There's another clip about (sorry, you'll have to find your own link) taken when Pride of Dover was run up the same beach, but taken from the ship. I don't think it was so spectacular since "Dover" was an engine down, one of the reasons that ship was broken. I was surprised to hear that both these ships have been scrapped since ferries usually seem to find another life in third world countries and these ones were relatively young. One reason I heard was that they did not have integral ramps, but that doesn't seem an insurmountable difficulty. Perhaps with the clamshell bow design they are less suited for deeper and more exposed waters.

It was precision steering for sure. The ships either side were nudged sideways by very similar amounts.

Sad, but as has been said, when P&O got rid of her, she wasn't in good condition, and a few years hacking round the Mediterranean working for one of the less conscientious (According to some sources) operators wouldn't have helped.

The reason for no dry dock is simply cost, and there are many beaches worldwide being used to scrap ships. Some of them even drain the tanks before they cut them open...

It was precision steering for sure. The ships either side were nudged sideways by very similar amounts.

If you look on the beach there is a fire burning which also seems to be the case on other videos of different ships on the same beach so I assume it's "Full speed ahead and aim for the smoke!" :)

If you look on the beach there is a fire burning which also seems to be the case on other videos of different ships on the same beach so I assume it's "Full speed ahead and aim for the smoke!" smile.png

I saw that and thought what a simple way of doing things. Then I watched this video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeZTycClLc

Makes me feel good about some of the bumps I have had laugh.png

I used to use cross channel ferries regularly and remember Pride of Dover and Pride of Calais well. At the time they represented a new generation of ferries, far in advance of what preceded them, more like a leisure complex which happened to be a ship than a ship which happened to be a ferry.

I am amazed that their working lives have been so short. Have they been replaced by something even more space-age?

No, that was open then too, the ferries picked up ample custom because of their much cheaper fares and because they were suitable for day trippers. I meant to ask what the new generation of ferries was like, as we have not used one for some 7 or 8 years.

the ferries picked up ample custom because of their much cheaper fares and because they were suitable for day trippers.

That didn't stop Sealink, Sally Line, TransEuropea, SpeedLink (any more) all going belly up due in no small part to the tunnel.

POD and POF were, however, replaced by the super-ferries Spirit of France and Spirit of Britain:

800px-SOBArrival.JPG

As Mrsmelly might say "Pig Ugly!"

That didn't stop Sealink, Sally Line, TransEuropea, SpeedLink (any more) all going belly up due in no small part to the tunnel.

POD and POF were, however, replaced by the super-ferries Spirit of France and Spirit of Britain:

800px-SOBArrival.JPG

As Mrsmelly might say "Pig Ugly!"

That insults pigs, surely?

It looks as if another line which we used to like, Seafrance, no longer operates - though a line called DFDS runs ferries from Dover to Calais; perhaps they took Seafrance over.