Wet Vacuum cleaners

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

I'm considering buying a wet vacuum for removing water from the bilge underneath the engine. My boat is a cruiser stern so collects quite a lot of rain water there. Not all of the water goes back to the part with the bilge pump so I'm looking for something that will suck out the remainder. I've used one of those 6 litre hand pump things but it's awkward and takes ages.

Do any of you own/use them and can you recommend any please?

I've had this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4062116.htm for about five years and it cost me £50 from Argos then. I bought it for exactly the same reason as you and it works a treat. The wheels are loose packed in the box for self assembly which is perfect because you should leave them off otherwise the vac has a tendency to roll around which is not good with the deck boards up!!!

If memory serves me right, it has a 1200 watt motor.

I bought one from Wickes a couple of years ago to help dry out my carpets after a flood in my house three years ago.

I see they have another model in their catalogue now at a good price

I use mine a great deal at home. Its brilliant for clearing up after DIY, very powerful and lifts wood shavings, sawdust, small concrete debris etc which saves my domestic vacuum cleaner that I've ruined twice now.

I also use it on my boat and my lady's for exactly the use you propose and it's great for that.

For instance recently I've cleaned the bilges under the engines of both boats. In both cases I just poured a bag of cheapo cat litter beside the engine. worked it about with a handbrush, then sucked it all out again with the wet and dry vac. Sparkly clean and dry bilges.

I've also, on both boats, and using the sponge wet filter, lifted inspection hatches and sucked the bilges dry. They are a great bit of kit

After a huge panic last week end I had to replace my wickes,wet and dry. These are the only ones I have used, the last one has lasted me for over 5 years and boy do they get some stick! Not only have I done my bilges, but it has also been used in the yard on several boats that have sunk, (oil and diesel,yuk) not forgetting the mountain of inuit hair, which I could probably knit a new dog from! Now there's an idea......

If you can power it, a 'Charles' wet vac by Numatic. Bombproof, loads of spare parts available, and available cheaper from Screwfix occasionally on sale.

We have one of these - I use it all the time to suck out the bilge (usually after I've filled it with water after plumbing). Got ours for £99 in a recetn promotion but think they are now £129.

You dont need to spend more than about 50 quid for a wet vac that will do the job, and theres not much point spending more if its going to be contaminated with oily water from the start.

I bought a 1250 watt model from Argos similar to this a couple of years ago and its very powerful. Argos also have a Karcher for about the same price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7113873.htm

We're not on shore power and have only a 1200 Watt inverter, so choice was severely restricted. In the end bought one of these for under £40 cos its only 1000 Watt and all plastic. We've found it ideal for the bilges as well as more usual vacuuming the boat.

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-the-beast-professional-vacuum-cleaner-prodst09078i/

Got an Earlex myself, works very well, UK made and good spares availability:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EXWD1000.html

Cost a bit more than the china sourced jobs, but sometimes come up for less on Ebay for an 'open box', or £20ish used if someone local is selling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EARLEX-WD1000-WET-DRY-COMBIVAC-1000W-1-8M-HOSE-12L-WET-CAPACITY-DAMAGED-BOX-/400582642881

If going for a Numatic 'Charles', consider spending a bit more for a 'George' if you have carpets that can be cleaned with it.

There are also 12V wet or dry vacs, maybe they could be grafted onto some sort of bigger canister or have some sort of ingenious automatic drain fitted. smile.png

THAT REMINDS ME, if you have a gulper near the back of the boat consider putting a valve or two and a hose to the bilge so it can be used to suck water out of the bilge instead. If the gulper is below shower tray level it might not even need a valve, just a tee and a hose that goes right up then back down again before going to the bilge. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I bought one from Wickes a couple of years ago to help dry out my carpets after a flood in my house three years ago.

I see they have another model in their catalogue now at a good price

snip

Don't bother, the new model is hopeless. We bought one for clearing up during a house refurb the supplied filter sock blocks up far to easily and an absolute bitch to remove for cleaning . The wet and dry filer is an optional extra which we were not prepared to waste more money on!

The Karcher 2100 is a good basic wet and dry. Its no longer available but newer models use the same type of filter like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KARCHER-Cartridge-Filter-Wet-Dry-Vacuums-A-2100-and-A-2199-Machines-6414552-/121198608110?pt=UK_Vacuum_Cleaner_Bags_Parts&hash=item1c37fffeee

They are technically disposable but you can clean them under the tap for re-use. wink.png

Many thanks boys and girls. As usual a fantastic response. I will have a ponder and let you know what I opt for. Having spent a load of dosh on the boat recently and with more to come, I will probably opt for one of the cheaper ones.

Hi

Just a thought but you say " My boat is a cruiser stern so collects lots of water " as though thats a given fact. I agree that many cruiser sterns take in water but have you tried modifications to stop the water getting in? My boat is a cruiser stern but designed correctly so water does not get in, perhaps its possible on yours?

Tim

Don't bother, the new model is hopeless. We bought one for clearing up during a house refurb the supplied filter sock blocks up far to easily and an absolute bitch to remove for cleaning . The wet and dry filer is an optional extra which we were not prepared to waste more money on!

Wickes used to sell a rebadged Earlex but doesn't any longer.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I ended up buying the Titan (from Screwfix). I've tried it out and it does the job well. Not sure about its longevity though as it isn't as robust as some of the more expensive ones but so long as I take care of it hopefully it will last. It's not as if I'm going to be using it every day.

Thanks again for all your help.

Have got a Wickes elcheapo which has been in constant use for many years now and it refuses to die. It has been filled with rusty water so many times that the "I'm full" valve sometimes jams and water has been seen pouring out the motor vent holes. It now looks so disgusting I have to keep it hidden and only bring it out in the dark

Edited by John V