Fresh water pump.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Hi.

Our boat is fitted with a SHURFLO 12V 11.4L 30PSI FRESH WATER (3901-0213) pump.

After the recent failure of our shower waste water pump, I was thinking of buying a spare fresh water pump. The loss of the shower pump was an inconveniance, but if the fresh water failed it would be in the middle of nowhere no doubt, and a veritable pain.

Do you think it is worth the expenditure to purchase a spare?

(Best price I have found for a direct replacement so far is here, http://www.chandlery-online.co.uk/shop/buy/pump-shurflo-12v-114l-30psi-fresh-water-3901-0213 )

:cheers:

We do - sort of

The hot and cold water systems each have their own pump with it's own switch. However, there are tee pieces on the outlet of each that connect to a shut off valve. Witht he valve shut, they work independently. With the valve open, either pump can feed both systems

Typical hire-boat emergency set-up

Richard

I wouldn't keep a spare.

Please expand. Why?

We do - sort of

The hot and cold water systems each have their own pump with it's own switch. However, there are tee pieces on the outlet of each that connect to a shut off valve. Witht he valve shut, they work independently. With the valve open, either pump can feed both systems

Typical hire-boat emergency set-up

Richard

Sounds a good system. I like a bit of inbuilt redundancy. We have but one pump and if it fails, so does all water supply, hence the query.

Edited by johnmck

Hi.

After the recent failure of our shower waste water pump, I was thinking of buying a spare fresh water pump. The loss of the shower pump was an inconveniance, but if the fresh water failed it would be in the middle of nowhere no doubt, and a veritable pain.

(Best price I have found for a direct replacement so far is here, http://www.chandlery-online.co.uk/shop/buy/pump-shurflo-12v-114l-30psi-fresh-water-3901-0213 )

Hi Yes it makes sense. As you say sods law means it may well go in the middle of knowhere. I keep various spares including fan belts, pumps, ropes, morso cable etc. In the scheme of things it all makes sense.

Tim

Hi Yes it makes sense. As you say sods law means it may well go in the middle of knowhere. I keep various spares including fan belts, pumps, ropes, morso cable etc. In the scheme of things it all makes sense.

Tim

Hi. Yep, like to keep a variety of spares onboard. As we are in RCR at the moment, it is items they do not cover, that are bound to fail, like pumps!.

I also keep a spare fresh water pump . For what they cost well worth the investment / peace of mind and if you never use it you can always sell it and depending on inflation maybe even make a profit .

My pump stopped working recently but it was the Square D pressure switch that had packed up after 26 years so my spare pump is still in its box with the receipt for £50 that I paid about 8 years ago . Question is do I now carry a spare pressure switch ?

Cost of the spare, room to keep it plus you should get 25 years plus life on your existing pump.

I wish I had your faith in modern manufacturing! I hope it does last, but sod's law says it will fail at the most inconveniant of times, probably family onboard and RCR will not be charging to the rescue. :cheers:

I have a spare because there is nothing worse than suffering a failure when you are miles from the nearest source of repair or replacement.

When the pump first packed up (and I find they don't usually last more than 5 years) I bought a new one, then set about reconditioning the old one at my leisure. I then fitted the spare immediately beside the working one, in such a way that the hoses and wires can be transferred to it in just a couple of minutes.

I have a spare because there is nothing worse than suffering a failure when you are miles from the nearest source of repair or replacement.

When the pump first packed up (and I find they don't usually last more than 5 years) I bought a new one, then set about reconditioning the old one at my leisure. I then fitted the spare immediately beside the working one, in such a way that the hoses and wires can be transferred to it in just a couple of minutes.

Now that is a cunning plan. Like it.

We do - sort of

This is exactly how I set my system up, i.e. independent hot & cold with a link and ball valve to link them in the event of one pump failing.

However I found that even with a thermostatic mixer, it was difficult to control the shower temperature as one pump or the other cut in. So I have just opened the linking pipe and just have one pump switched on. The flow (Par Max 2.9) is more than adequate from one pump, and I can switch in the other pump in the event of failure.

We also have a pump for both systems so don't have a spare.

They are not re routable like Tawny Owl's but at least we could draw some water through if we needed and if the cold/drinking side went down it's easy to fall back on bottled water.

We often have a bottle or two on board.

Don't worry about it! there are lots of things that can ground you in an isolated spot- what about a spare starter motor? solenoid/ fuel or lift pump?. The list can go on forever. Sensible spares like hoses, drive belts, remote control cables and a reasonable tool kit are a good idea, You are not going to sea and can always get a tow or a lift to the nearest supplier.

Don't worry about it! there are lots of things that can ground you in an isolated spot- what about a spare starter motor? solenoid/ fuel or lift pump?. The list can go on forever. Sensible spares like hoses, drive belts, remote control cables and a reasonable tool kit are a good idea, You are not going to sea and can always get a tow or a lift to the nearest supplier.

But thats just the point. I carry spares as above, but at the end of the day, RCR would assist if it was an engine breakdown. If the pump goes, not covered. Just as inconveniant in some ways and as we CC during the summer, not that easy to get to a supplier. Think I will bite the bullet and source a spare. Then it will NEVER fail! :cheers:

Hi.

I have a Johnson water pump and carry a spare.

As with belts, filters and the CH pump it is one of the things that can be a great inconvenience if it fails in the middle of nowhere. The financial cost of the spares is small compared with other boating costs ( and will be spent a y way when the pump does fail. Things like this, suitably protected, are ideal in long-term storage under the back cabin floor.

I don't have a spare starter motor, cos I've got a handle (which I normally use anyway). If I didn't have a handle I would have to think about a second-hand starter or joining RCR.

I don't carry a spare shower pump cos I've got a sponge and bucket, though I do have spare valves and diaphragm for the shower pump.

N

I'm spare mad laugh.gif

And do have a spare Sureflow as well. What I've done over time is buy spares during the build, which in our case has been a while. But the spare Sureflow I picked up for next to notthing on e-bay, less than a tenner I recall and still new in the box. Ive bought most spares in this way as if you're in no hurry for them you can come across some real bargains. I also picked up a spare brand new 90 amp altternator for £9.99 Spare 1.5kw inverer £30 Have all spare belts filters oil fluids hose etc for engine.

Edited by Julynian

Thank you all for your thoughts. This all started when the Johnson "Viking power 16" ceased to be. This acted as the waste pump for the shower. This was a nuisence, and I ended up buying a Whale Gulper to replace it. Set me thinking about what happens WHEN the fresh water pump packs in and hence the question.

Still miffed that the Johnson failed at only 18 months old and dismantling it, thought it worth obtaining replacement diaphrams to see if it could be revived to act as a spare. The motor still runs but just not pumping! For the life of me I cannot source spares at a reasonable cost. We can live without a shower for a while, but not without water altogether.

Again. Thank's.

If you're handy at DIY maybe carry a tube of Fernox LS-X leak sealer, a standard microswitch (Maplins #GW71N or free from scrap household appliances), and a couple of short lengths of hose. These will help diagnose and fix common faults like worn or blocked pressure switch, leaking diaphragm seal. At the very least they can be used to help recondition an old one.

BTW I've used a relay to drive the pump motor, the relay coil is switched by the pressure switch. That way the load on the pressure switch is reduced many times and it should last pretty well indefinitely.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~