Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

dscf4031d.jpg

Is that the one with a warning sign hung on the back saying (something like)"Warning generator run until late at night!", or am I getting my boats mixed up? :lol:

Ebay can and Handbowl look like the work of D.C Robinson of Norbury early 60's. Nice Castle, not keen on Flowers, less keen on price.

Dusty Miller.

Two rather different answers to the same question, then!

Is that the one with a warning sign hung on the back saying (something like)"Warning generator run until late at night!", or am I getting my boats mixed up?

No you're not getting mixed up. This is the one and same boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas on this one?

DSCF3032.jpg

That looks like a non galvanised tinplate can? Its a Bococks style handle so could date from the late 1960's early 1970's if it is. They had some pre painted by someone in Brum and used to sell them off to interior designers and the like.

Alan Picken of Waterfolk Ltd used to supply transfer decorated cans in the 70s.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Been trying to get hold of RH. Not having much luck at the moment. I'll try again tonight.

ETA - anyone got any advise on the best way to remove transfers prior to painting? Sander?

Edited by Speedwheel

Thanks Paul,

Been trying to get hold of RH. Not having much luck at the moment. I'll try again tonight.

ETA - anyone got any advise on the best way to remove transfers prior to painting? Sander?

Good old nitro mors will kill them, the active ingredient is dichloromethane which should dissolve them.

Good old nitro mors will kill them, the active ingredient is dichloromethane which should dissolve them.

It will- if you can get any. The EU has banned DCM from consumer products. The new stuff is not as good. The yellow tin water based stuff is caustic so will need to be used with care as it might eat the zinc galvanising.

Cellulose thinners/gunwash thinners will destroy the paint and transfers. Put the can and about a pint of gunwash (from your friendly local car body fixer) in an airtight container and leave it for a couple of days. You can probably lash something up with tape and polythene sheet. That'll sort it. Scrub the bubbled paint of with Scotchbrite green and some more gunwash. Don't use wire wool.

Then you need to prime it. Not sure what to use these days since calcium plumbate primer was also withdrawn. No doubt there's something out there.

N

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...