LOCKING FILLER CAP

wotnot

Featured Posts

Most of us will have been reading elsewhere on the forum about No Problem, GOBA and to add to their misfortune Sue had to fork out over £200 to replace stolen diesel.

I did a quick search on the net for a locking filler cap and came up with this from 2003; http://www.harnser.info/html/diesel_filler_lock.html so it is not a new phenomenon.

Does anyone know of or use an off the shelf locking cap or anti-syphon device?

Most of us will have been reading elsewhere on the forum about No Problem, GOBA and to add to their misfortune Sue had to fork out over £200 to replace stolen diesel.

I did a quick search on the net for a locking filler cap and came up with this from 2003; http://www.harnser.info/html/diesel_filler_lock.html so it is not a new phenomenon.

Does anyone know of or use an off the shelf locking cap or anti-syphon device?

Good little idea, and a bit of a deterrent, however that would be off in seconds with a small crow bar, or even a heavy duty screwdriver. The problem today is that thieves will get at it if they want. Numerous Lorries locally here have been drilled. 30 boats have been raided for fuel in Exmouth marina in the past 2 months. And private household oil tanks they're simply cutting through the outlet pipe or drilling the tanks it they're secured. Same is happening to diesel tanks on business premises.

TBH the theft of diesel from n/boats will be less likely as there's usually too many people around, i think it just would pay to moor with others and all boaters look out for eachother.

Sue had to fork out over £200 to replace stolen diesel.

I know I'll be accused of extreme pedancy, but....

Although Sue reports she filled her tank with over £200 worth of diesel, she also says on her blog that she estimates what was taken was around 125 to 140 litres.

So, unless she found an extremely expensive supplier, it sounds like the stolen was probably somewhere under £150, and the rest was to completely fill, rather than replace.

It's still a complete bummer, but I'm just pointing out what she says.

Like Julian, I think it's very hard to defend against a determined thief, but I suppose it's a case that if you have some deterrent, and someone else has none, they may chose them, not you.

Like many boats our fuel tank is a stanked off area of the counter stern, with the filler hole going straight in, with no pipe. Adding anything to protect this would mean either tapping into the fuel tank, or welding to it externally. :lol:

Locking fuel and other caps do exist in the same format as the popular deck style fittings-

filler.jpg

They are intended for a market where money isn't so much of a concern and I don't think available anywhere direct to the public, however I can probably get them if their was the demand?

If anybody is interested I will get a price for them, fingers crossed it wont be that silly.

Saying that I haven't seen many cheap super yachts about! :lol:

That's a cunning plan Gary!

So it says "Water" on top, but "Diesel" when you unlock it!.... :lol:

Great idea like it, a proper flush locking cap would be a better deterrent as it's difficult to hack at. And diversionary tactis I like :lol: I would certainly be interested, would that fit the standard type brass filler cap? Also I note the extended piece of pipe, this could also have some kind of grid fitted to stop syphoning. Although probably unnecessary as it think it would work.

you could fit a spring loaded spike which retracts into the tank and when the lid is removed it shoots out of the top of the tank at high speed and implants itself in whatever is above it. a health and safety warning notice along the lines of "nicking diesel from my tank may result in serious injury or death" may be required for BSS compliance.

maybe fit an alarm activated by a reed switch and magnet, like a shed alarm, with a very loud siren to draw attention to the activity taking place.

maybe fit an alarm activated by a reed switch and magnet, like a shed alarm, with a very loud siren to draw attention to the activity taking place.

in fact if you fitted a beam break detector of some sort to protect the back deck or a pressure pad under a mat on the deck you could trigger a loud siren just from someone stepping on the boat. I feel that a 110db siren would probably put them off if the boat is near others and if it isn't near any boats or people then there's not a lot you can do other than leave the tank empty. could go really technical and get a SMS alarm system to send a message to your mobile phone saying "someone is nicking your diesel thought you might like to know".

in fact if you fitted a beam break detector of some sort to protect the back deck or a pressure pad under a mat on the deck you could trigger a loud siren just from someone stepping on the boat. I feel that a 110db siren would probably put them off

Ducks, swans and herons regularly climb on near our filler cap.

Life aboard might get "interesting" if we were treated to 110 dB each time they did!

Locking fuel and other caps do exist in the same format as the popular deck style fittings-

filler.jpg

They are intended for a market where money isn't so much of a concern and I don't think available anywhere direct to the public, however I can probably get them if their was the demand?

If anybody is interested I will get a price for them, fingers crossed it wont be that silly.

I would also be inerested I relise how easy it would be ust to ping my padlock off. It would only need a mooring stake or hammer and anyone walking the towing path with them would not look out of place. I must admit to it being a case of mabe they will leave me and nick someone else's diesel which is not very nice but the best I sould do.

I would also be inerested I relise how easy it would be ust to ping my padlock off. It would only need a mooring stake or hammer and anyone walking the towing path with them would not look out of place. I must admit to it being a case of mabe they will leave me and nick someone else's diesel which is not very nice but the best I sould do.

Back in the marina Friday i was looking at one of the boats that had welded a locking bar across the filler tank.

I prefer a grenade booby trapped to go off when people try to nick our fuel :lol:

That's a cunning plan Gary!

So it says "Water" on top, but "Diesel" when you unlock it!.... :lol:

I have to admit, that is actaully a genious plan!

- I dont think thats what the photo was actually ment to be showing (may it was?) but thats right on the money that is!

Daniel

filler.jpg

Please count me in for one also Gary.

MIKE P

filler.jpg

I would be interested Gary.

I like the idea of swapping the diesel and water labels over, but I think a better idea would be to swap the diesel and pump out ones round. You can then look forward to the day some toe-rag tries to syphon the fuel out, and a bonus of a free pump out!

I like this bit tho

"It Is relatively easy to fit, if the existing hole has to be made a bit larger in diameter use tin snips and a half round file.

"And here's one I dis before the program........"

I like this bit tho

"It Is relatively easy to fit, if the existing hole has to be made a bit larger in diameter use tin snips and a half round file.

"And here's one I dis before the program........"

The cap is obviously aimed at modifying cars and a pair of tin snips is adequate to cut the bodywork of your average Corsa.

Anyway, Gary is the only person who seems to have come up with an an answer to my query about an off the shelf boat item.

Including myself 8 people have shown interest in buying one to date.

That one wouldn't work on my boat as the tank is integral and the deck comprises the top of the tank, so I can't drill into it. I need a direct replacement such as the one ary showed and have to hope that the screwholes are in the right places.