Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mike E-W

The Folly Inn at new years

Featured Posts

With no food on at the Nelson Braunston   we decided to head to Napton and the Folly . Inspired decision has dinner there one night and lunch New Years Eve  both an  outstanding delight of great quality

 

Big thanks to Mark & team

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a good meal at the Folly.

Is the lack of food at the Nelson temporary? New owners settling in? Looking to be back up there end of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are heading Northwards from Banbury soonish. Will be at Braunston sometime. 

 

Edit it to include what I meant to put in. Haven't been in the Nelson for about two years. I like the pub but I don't like the foodie style that it became. Might well try again. 

Edited by Nightwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

 

 

Edit it to include what I meant to put in. Haven't been in the Nelson for about two years. I like the pub but I don't like the foodie style that it became. 

That more or less sums up our feelings about it. We sometimes pop in there for an early evening drink, but the food, from memory, looked over-priced and pretentious so we didn't have any.

Last time we went in would have been last Easter, I think. There were a couple of young barmaids who were very pleasant but totally clueless. I think they were perhaps undergoing training for the summer season, and that this training was still in its early stages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Midnight said:

One of the best pubs on the system!

 

Nelson or Folly?

The Folly has been through ups, downs, closures and overtures these last few years but we always enjoy a visit to it, at least now that the beer no longer tastes like mud as it did at one stage. It is a pity that its adjacent shop has now permanently closed and become a house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Athy said:

That more or less sums up our feelings about it. We sometimes pop in there for an early evening drink, but the food, from memory, looked over-priced and pretentious so we didn't have any.

Last time we went in would have been last Easter, I think. There were a couple of young barmaids who were very pleasant but totally clueless. I think they were perhaps undergoing training for the summer season, and that this training was still in its early stages.

We were last in the Nelson end of October and the food was excellent. Bit pricey yes, (50% more than others) but the barmaids were knowledgable and good. Very sad to hear it had changed hands again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We were last in the Nelson end of October and the food was excellent. Bit pricey yes, (50% more than others) but the barmaids were knowledgable and good. Very sad to hear it had changed hands again.

I agree with all this.

It was one place I was prepared to pay a bit more than elsewhere, because under the lat operators, it really had become very good indeed.

I'm really struggling to believe it has a bright future now it's been bought out by a brewery chain.   I hope I'm wrong!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Always a good meal at the Folly.

Is the lack of food at the Nelson temporary? New owners settling in? Looking to be back up there end of the month.

I rang the Nelson the other day to enquire about food. They said that they planned to start food at the end of January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I rang the Nelson the other day to enquire about food. They said that they planned to start food at the end of January.

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:



I'm really struggling to believe it has a bright future now it's been bought out by a brewery chain.   I hope I'm wrong!

Why? Everard's have some very good pubs, such as The Anchor at Hartshill, a former boatmen's pub, and The Tram Depot in Cambridge, a former....well, you can guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Athy said:

Why? Everard's have some very good pubs, such as The Anchor at Hartshill, a former boatmen's pub, and The Tram Depot in Cambridge, a former....well, you can guess.

.........church?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

A muppet not a prune!

You got that plum right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Is it fruit joke time?

Stone me, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Stone me, is it?

If I discovered a new animal, I would call it a Quorn to mess with vegetarians.?

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folly is very good, last ate there there in October I think.  The only issue is getting a table as it is almost always busy in the evening.

 

In its previous guise I liked the Nelson, although the only time we have eaten there recently has been when we wanted a nice evening meal, it was not a place for a pub lunch doe to the cost.  I will be very interested to see how it develops with the new owners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Folly is very good, last ate there there in October I think.  The only issue is getting a table as it is almost always busy in the evening.

 

We always ring ahead and book earlier that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my 70th birthday treats last year was to arrive at the Folly by helicopter. The family had a great time with Mark  doing impromptu magic tricks for my son who has Downs Syndrome. Food was good as it has always been recently - one of my daughters lives in Napton so have visited several times in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2019 at 22:28, Allan(nb Albert) said:

One of my 70th birthday treats last year was to arrive at the Folly by helicopter. The family had a great time with Mark  doing impromptu magic tricks for my son who has Downs Syndrome. Food was good as it has always been recently - one of my daughters lives in Napton so have visited several times in 2018.

From the air ...

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/sarah+richards+folly/keywords_blended_posts?esd=eyJlc2lkIjoiUzpfSTczNzk0MDgyNjI2MTAzODoxNzM3ODI3NTc5NjA1Njg2IiwicHNpZCI6eyIxNjMxNjI5MTUyOjE3Mzc4Mjc1Nzk2MDU2ODYiOiJVenBmU1Rjek56azBNRGd5TmpJMk1UQXpPRG94TnpNM09ESTNOVGM1TmpBMU5qZzIifSwiY3JjdCI6InRleHQiLCJjc2lkIjoiYTM2ZTRiOThmMGNiYjcxMGZmYjliN2JmYzI2Mjk2MDEifQ%3D%3D

 

Edited to add - Sarah's photo is taken as we came into land. The Folly is to the left of the bridge (see the white on the side of the building). You can also see Napton bottom lock with a lock cottage to the left  and the 'facilities' to the right. We landed in the field bounded by the lock cottage and the pub.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.