The Folly Inn at new years

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

I am with you folks...... a pub for me is real ale....low ceilings traditional beams brasses, wood, interesting nicknacks etc and bar snacks imcluding the good old pork scratching ??

Pork scratchings is 'orrid, along with faggots!

Photographs are in a proper pub, real photos.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I know it well. yorkshire that is. I was there again yesterday.

Seriously disappointing  night out ? Pub has turned into an eatery, must be a Sunday thing, huge Yorkshire puddings and jugs of gravy all over the bar, I think it was free but that's not the point, and how can a man have a quiet pint when the locals keep engaging you in conversation? I miss the south.

And they can't add up either, gave them £5 for a pint and a half of local ale and they gave me a load of change.

.................Dave,

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh, I love Brains SA.

I spent three years in Cardiff trying to avoid the stuff.

We often decamped from the office to one of Brains's flagship pubs, my choice of drink was usually a bottle of Czech lager when that happened.

Then to add insult to injury they prove that they can do things properly by making small batches of decent stuff as one-off specials to try and nab a share of the craft market that exists because established brewers choose to brew stuff like SA.

Sorry Dr Bob, I know it holds some nostalgia for you.

When in Cardiff seek out the Tiny Rebel beers in the Urban Tap House on Westgate Street. If you must go to a Brain's house I recommend Coffee #1.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

We often decamped from the office to one of Brains's flagship pubs, my choice of drink was usually a bottle of Czech lager when that happened.

Then to add insult to injury they prove that they can do things properly by making small batches of decent stuff as one-off specials to try and nab a share of the craft market that exists because established brewers choose to brew stuff like SA.

When in Cardiff seek out the Tiny Rebel beers in the Urban Tap House on Westgate Street. If you must go to a Brain's house I recommend Coffee #1.

JP

Thanks for the tip. I will look out for them. Seen the tap house but never been in. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks for the tip. I will look out for them. Seen the tap house but never been in. 

They would confuse some folk here on account of brewing excellent cask ale - Fubar - and numerous excellent canned craft beers. From Newport, mind. Barely Welsh.

I was once in a window seat at the Tap House pre-game at the Millenium Stadium and that great Welshman The Hoff walked past. I bet he sang the anthem (in a Redwood stylee).

JP

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh, I love Brains SA.

I thought you meant Brains on that comic strip thing, was it Lady Penelope, or was it a spaceship, it's late at night and my cocoa is sending me to la la land.. with the Teletubbies.

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

I thought you meant Brains on that comic strip thing, was it Lady Penelope, or was it a spaceship, it's late at night and my cocoa is sending me to la la land.. with the Teletubbies.

Try the "night garden". 

Not sure what they are all on there!

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

"Thunderbirds are Go" (1996). [not to be confused with that shameful knock off "Thunderbirds are Go!" (2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brains_(Thunderbirds)

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

My youngest sprogg is moving to Cardiff next week. Ive never been I dont think so will have to check it out for beer soon enough.

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My youngest sprogg is moving to Cardiff next week. Ive never been I dont think so will have to check it out for beer soon enough.

The last time we visited South Wales, we found it impossible to find a pub that sold decent beer. All we could find was cheap keg beer. It seemed as if Real Ale and Craft Beer had passed them by.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The last time we visited South Wales, we found it impossible to find a pub that sold decent beer. All we could find was cheap keg beer. It seemed as if Real Ale and Craft Beer had passed them by.

Nah, loads of pubs serve good real ale. The Brains pubs are all over the place in Cardiff and sell Bitter and SA plus now Rev James (original and gold). SA is a really good pint. Lots of other brewers as well if you want to branch out. .......and there's always Ruddles - at least 7 W'spoons in the city centre....one closed last year. Go to Swansea and you can get Feeling Foul but I'm not that partial. The local name for SA always used to be Skull Attack.

Try the Cottage in St Mary Street. Great pub.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The local name for SA always used to be Skull Attack.

...and that nickname is even mentioned in their web site description of the beer. Since it's only a manageable 4.2%, I wonder how the name came about.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

...and that nickname is even mentioned in their web site description of the beer. Since it's only a manageable 4.2%, I wonder how the name came about.

I remember when I first moved to Cardiff in '76, I played 2nd row for BP 2nds and after training or games on the weekend we would consume vast quantities of SA. Always left me with a bad head the following morning. Others who drank the bitter or Brains dark (which has cult status in Cardiff) didnt get such a bad head....as they were only 3.5% ish. Hence skull attack for their premium product .....which doesnt seem to have changed in 40 years.

• Greenie 1