Toilet Paper

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

I think someone should test it out. The first thing a fire would do to 'fuel' like that it boil away any water present. This wouldn't smell. The remaining dry solids might but the smells would surely go up the chimney where passers by would blame the local farmer for slurry spreading.

Some people do burn it 

image.thumb.png.95686f56def4471a21552a1375377b7f.png

I burn it on my fire on the country estate boat. 

No problems. Baby wipes instead of loo rolls. 

Do like a bit of hygiene ;)

What you do is have a wok full of wood ash as a receptacle and a bent soup ladle for covering with ash and for the transfer. All very simple and tidy. 

Fire needs to be going well in advance. 

Doesn't take long to get rid of it. 

Actually it is called a Karahi pot not a wok. Being aluminium I would not cook with it so it does not get confused with other things. 

IMG_20231109_040742.jpg.78dfec65be44bc174e035e41d6b3f5bb.jpg

On 08/11/2023 at 19:09, The Black Jack said:

What a price! Even when you have had your shiny new incinerating toilet up and running it must cost the Earth to run on LPG. I'm not sure Greta would approve.

A friend has one fitted and say that it uses 110g of lpg per use

Edited by Tim Lewis

17 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

That equates to 118 craps per 13kg cylinder ;)

Not so bad compared to a cassette.

Even a decent size pump out will only let you do about 50 

25 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

So at current gas prices (about £50) it equates to roughly 50p / 'flush'

47 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The manufacturers sales documents say it  uses 'up to' 180g / incineration - a big difference (64%) I could not imagine a manufacturer making it 'worse than it really is'.

Then of course it also uses 'leccy.

Technical data

• Height: 540 mm
  • Seat height: 490 mm
  • Width: 390 mm
  • Depth: 590 mm
  • Weight: 20 kg
  • Capacity: up to 6 people, 3-4 persons/hour
  • Standby Power Consumption: 0.005 Amp
  • Power consumption (incineration): 1.3 Amp
  • Gas: Propane (30 mbar pressure)
  • Gas consumption: max. 180 grams per incineration
  • Exhaust fan: 12V DC
  • Power consumption (incineration): 2,400W
  • Electrical power supply: 12V DC / 4 Amp (11–14.4V)
  • Approvals: DBI and CE-marked

On 14/11/2023 at 09:03, GUMPY said:

Even a decent size pump out will only let you do about 50 

But you will also produce about 120 lts of pee with those 50 poos unless you use the engine hole door

I find it strange how people get into such complex behaviours related to a daily output you can hold in your hand. 

There have been calculations on dry weight and its hardly anything. 

Average daily stool output for someone other than a boxer is 150-200g. Thats really not a lot of material and well over half of it is water. 

On 28/11/2018 at 17:47, Athy said:

A hot coal fire produces smoke which smells of coal. A hot wood fire produces smoke which smells of wood. So follow that train of thought to its conclusion.

I'm not going to venture an actual answer as I have no experience, but another question: is the paper going on an established fire or is the friend trying to use it for kindling? That's the smoky phase.

It depends on the temperature of combustion? Combustion temperature of the inputs will depend a lot on the temperature & liveliness of the stove, but also the design.

(Trains stop at a train station. Buses stop at a bus station. What happens at a work station?)

If you want to burn it the fire needs to be hot. It does indeed depend on the design of the fire and some fires will not be suitable for delivery of ash-encased stools. 

Similarly some humans will not be suitable so one must be a little circumspect before advancing this solutions as a cure-all. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Similarly some humans will not be suitable so one must be a little circumspect before advancing this solutions as a cure-all.

Ah yes, the most variable of the variables!

Maybe the advice should be "First couple of times you want to do this, stand outside downwind. Have someone else shove the stuff in and call you back in when it's all gone."

Unless the friend has anosmia, in which case...  reverse the sniffer & stuffer?

I suppose it depends on location..

Fortunately at the country estate one has no fixed neighbours. The type of people who occasionally invade this derelict pleasure garden on account of it being by the River are the sort of people who can be discouraged by deliberate smoke-targeting. 

It works in summer particularly well ! 

No fires on the land at any time ever but smoke from boat chimney as much as possible. 

I think its a territorial thing. 

Smoke them out. Seems a wise move.  

13 hours ago, wakey_wake said:

Ah yes, the most variable of the variables!

Maybe the advice should be "First couple of times you want to do this, stand outside downwind. Have someone else shove the stuff in and call you back in when it's all gone."

Unless the friend has anosmia, in which case...  reverse the sniffer & stuffer?

image.png.389c8f137153f33aada585d99cc08f1d.png

• Horror 1

On 09/11/2023 at 04:03, magnetman said:

I burn it on my fire on the country estate boat. 

No problems. Baby wipes instead of loo rolls. 

Do like a bit of hygiene ;)

What you do is have a wok full of wood ash as a receptacle and a bent soup ladle for covering with ash and for the transfer. All very simple and tidy. 

Fire needs to be going well in advance. 

Doesn't take long to get rid of it. 

Actually it is called a Karahi pot not a wok. Being aluminium I would not cook with it so it does not get confused with other things. 

IMG_20231109_040742.jpg.78dfec65be44bc174e035e41d6b3f5bb.jpg

If you're going to be so bohemian with your movements, why not just cut out a few steps and deposit straight into the pot?

On 22/11/2023 at 15:32, ditchcrawler said:

[clean air act]

Yes that's another asspect.

Preventing nuisance smoke and serious pollution makes sense, it became clear (!) with the smogs and some law is necessary.

But passing laws about what you can and can't burn (irrespective of the smoke and pollution) seems to me to be a few steps too far.

Hopefully it will be repealed or revised at some point.

I don't know whether flag burning per se is illegal here (I don't feel strongl about it either way) but a flag-burner could presumably be done for not using Defra-approved fuel. 🤯

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2023 at 17:46, wakey_wake said:

>> I don't know whether flag burning per se is illegal here (I don't feel strongly about it either way) but a flag-burner could presumably be done for not using Defra-approved fuel. 

Only if the flag was being burned for heating purposes!

Seriously though, we are not daft enough in the UK to make the symbolic destruction of a flag illegal.