Why is this forum becoming a joke !!!

norman18grp

Featured Posts

Simon

Can I just start by pointing out that you are the author of another thread on the front page, where you are relying on those with strong opinions to come out and sign a petition, and alot of people have. and that is a great thing.

you've got enough signatures, that it's at least been read by the powers that be, so you have benefited, and if the road pricing petition is anything to go by even 2 million signatures isn't enough to guarantee that you be listened to.

Myself, Carl, Mayalld, Charles123 have all contributed strongly written threads in the past, and I for one will continue to do so, until the rules change, but, if i write something you don't like, PM me, or post saying so. Tell me what it is, and if I agree with you I will edit it. I won't change what I'm saying, but i am more than happy to change the way I say something.

If you look at the Beeston unlicensed boats thread, Carl (who has very strongly held opinions) edited a post after it was pointed out what he said wasn't really fair, so if you disagree, challenge. Even the most hardened CW combatant doesn't want to pee you off, he/she just wants to put across a very strongly held belief.

This forum is unique on the canal scene in that it allows for robust debate, many of the others don't cater for it, and in MNSHO is where its strengths lie. Canalworld does a lot for the canal scene by simply providing this facility, but it's not always pretty.

Edited by fuzzyduck

:) I Wonder How many people read topics on this forum and would love to reply ? But are affraid to as a dedicated Few on here think it is there god given right to shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! :D

I think its about time the moderators on this Forum looked into this practise as I'm sure it puts off the more timid members from joining in on what should be a fun and friendly site !

If you Don't have a valid point to make Keep it to yourself !

Lets make this site a happy friendly place

Not the utter joke its turning into

Some people on here are dealing with all sorts of problems, the last thing they need is for some sad pathetic person with nothing better to do all day , than sit at their computer making negative posts and being a complete pain in the A#@e !

I'm sure we can turn this Forum around before its too late

Its up to you ?

I've only been here for a few months but I don't see a problem. It seems to be a fairly polite community compared with others that I contribute to. I've seen virtually no swearing, few insults but a fair bit of disagreement which is bound to happen. Posters requests for advice are usually responded to with helpful politeness. I am disagreeing with you now - surely that is fair enough? Or is disagreeing with you the crime?

You see, in your post you have described some posters as "sad and pathetic" and "a pain in the A#@e " . Surely this is an example of what you are complaining about. In my opinion this post is one of the fortunately rare more offensive ones.

Pots and kettles.

:) I Wonder How many people read topics on this forum and would love to reply ? But are affraid to as a dedicated Few on here think it is there god given right to shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! :D

I think its about time the moderators on this Forum looked into this practise as I'm sure it puts off the more timid members from joining in on what should be a fun and friendly site !

If you Don't have a valid point to make Keep it to yourself !

Lets make this site a happy friendly place

Not the utter joke its turning into

Some people on here are dealing with all sorts of problems, the last thing they need is for some sad pathetic person with nothing better to do all day , than sit at their computer making negative posts and being a complete pain in the A#@e !

I'm sure we can turn this Forum around before its too late

Its up to you ?

Here! Here! . You couldn't have put it better Norman. I have only recently joined but I can see from reading current and past postings , that a few self opinionated people are currently destroying the previous friendly helpful attitude of this forum. Lets hope they don't switch to the other canal forum. Time for me to move on.

That's the advantage of living on a boat " When you don't like the neighbours - untie, and move on "

Unfortunately, there is also some very good and helpful friendly people on this forum. Lets hope they move on to the other forum and leave the A#@eholes behind to destroy each other

I've only been here for a few months but I don't see a problem. It seems to be a fairly polite community compared with others that I contribute to. I've seen virtually no swearing, few insults but a fair bit of disagreement which is bound to happen. Posters requests for advice are usually responded to with helpful politeness. I am disagreeing with you now - surely that is fair enough? Or is disagreeing with you the crime?

You see, in your post you have described some posters as "sad and pathetic" and "a pain in the A#@e " . Surely this is an example of what you are complaining about. In my opinion this post is one of the fortunately rare more offensive ones.

Pots and kettles.

I'm with you and other supporters Alan. It was ironic that the original message complaining about offensive posts itself used that kind of language.

Anyway I find nothing wrong with the forum at all. Quite the reverse. It was and remains a great resource for me, who knew nothing about canalling a couple of years ago, when I decided to buy a boat and needed a lot of advice. I'm sure I've been saved from making some expensive mistakes when choosing my boat, a new build, by the advice I've received here.

Yes there are some messages that are offensive and threads that degenerate into slanging matches but it's not that common and certainly nowhere near enough to condemn the whole forum for it. I find it odd that a few people think that, I can't see it at all.

regards

Steve

If you are that bothered by a particular member its simple to block them. Click on their username, click on 'view member profile', click on 'options', click on 'ignore user', click on 'update ignored users'.....

From then on, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them.

If you are that bothered by a particular member its simple to block them. Click on their username, click on 'view member profile', click on 'options', click on 'ignore user', click on 'update ignored users'.....

From then on, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them.

Can someone tell me what that Hairy Neil said? I never read his posts!

Here! Here! . You couldn't have put it better Norman. I have only recently joined but I can see from reading current and past postings , that a few self opinionated people are currently destroying the previous friendly helpful attitude of this forum. Lets hope they don't switch to the other canal forum. Time for me to move on.

That's the advantage of living on a boat " When you don't like the neighbours - untie, and move on "

Unfortunately, there is also some very good and helpful friendly people on this forum. Lets hope they move on to the other forum and leave the A#@eholes behind to destroy each other

I trust I have some technical knowledge and that I freely share it with the forum, but I know that there are members who propagate ideas that are, to the best of my knowledge, either just wrong or down right lethal. I trust I do not resort to abusive, personal comments, but when people promote their ideas time after time, in front of what must be hundreds of less technical people I can well see that the dangers (personal or financial) they promote must really frustrate the more competent. I often wonder why the moderators allow them to carry on, but censorship is a dangeroiuse game.

Just like in a pub anyone who has been around for a while knows the topics and personalities that are likley to get "heated" so if you are sensitive to the heat - ignore the topic.

Having said all that it is probably better that the less technical can see the differences of opinion rather than take a single "engineers" opinion as gospel and end up paying for bad advice.

Some of you have stated that your fear to post in case you are ridiculed. I try not to overly promote my commercial activities on any newsgroup or forum but anyone is free to email me with any sort of technical question and I will try to give you sound advice. There is no charge and the worst you will find is that your question may be published in the magazine or on my website but you will not be identified. If you want contact details look in my profile and visit the website.

Tony Brooks

Personally I think the forum is an invaluable source of information and the only times I've really been shot down in flames was when I thought I knew what I was talking about but didn't. I have been stalked & threatened, decided not to come back and then changed my mind, but that's another story.

Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, the anonymity of the internet often leads to some unnecessary rudeness. There are a few contributors here who tend to take a supercilious tone, like to be argumentative and could probably do with one or two lessons in "personal interactions" (I hope I'm not one of them), and although that may impair the forum, in my opinion that doesn't mean the whole thing's a joke. Just think of all the positive, useful, polite and encouraging posts you've read. I'm sure they vastly outweigh the negative ones.

When I think I may be able to contribute to a topic but I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct I try to make my answer sound tentative Could it be done like this? , for example, rather than This is how you should do it. Of course like many others when I do know what I'm talking about then I'll just say what I think, but I'm always open to other ideas.

If you look at the Beeston unlicensed boats thread, Carl (who has very strongly held opinions) edited a post after it was pointed out what he said wasn't really fair, so if you disagree, challenge. Even the most hardened CW combatant doesn't want to pee you off, he/she just wants to put across a very strongly held belief.

I believe it was my post in that thread that Carl was responding to, and you (thank you) who pulled him up on it. I was at lunch at the time, and never saw the pre-edited version.

I don't want to comment on one particular post or person, but I will make a few general observations.

It seems to me that sometimes the people with strongly held opinions are too quick to rubbish other people's equally strongly held opinions, without even thinking about them.

Sometimes people don't answer points, they just slag them off.

Sometimes people appear to deliberately mis-interpret the post they're responding too.

Sometimes people post on here in a manner and tone that I don't believe they'd ever use if it was a face to face conversation.

When that happens, it's not surprising some members won't post.

I have read all the posts and have come to this conclusion,

This forum reflects the real world.

There will always be someone offended.

Many of us hold strong views (some with knowledge) on many subjects and if we were in the same room we would press home our view/knowledge. With the advantage of facial expression and tone of voice.

To those of you that find an offensive post, PM the offender or a moderator.

I would not like any one to leave the forum but if it does not suit you then there are plenty more out there.

Happy boating. :)

I believe it was my post in that thread that Carl was responding to, and you (thank you) who pulled him up on it. I was at lunch at the time, and never saw the pre-edited version.

I don't want to comment on one particular post or person, but I will make a few general observations.

It seems to me that sometimes the people with strongly held opinions are too quick to rubbish other people's equally strongly held opinions, without even thinking about them.

Sometimes people don't answer points, they just slag them off.

Sometimes people appear to deliberately mis-interpret the post they're responding too.

Sometimes people post on here in a manner and tone that I don't believe they'd ever use if it was a face to face conversation.

When that happens, it's not surprising some members won't post.

I mis-read your post, I read it as something stupid, I said as much, Fuzzy said it could be read two ways, I deleted the comment that I thought your post was stupid, though left the bit disagreeing with your post.

My post wasn't abusive, it was observational.

I rarely edit the content of my posts (but always the spelling) as, though argumentative, I don't believe I ever post contrary to the forum rules.

I will always comment when I disagree with something and welcome comments from people who disagree with me.

I don't think I've rowed with anyone on this forum who I wouldn't buy a drink (except Chrisw, he's rich so he can get the round in) and would have a damn good barroom discussion/ row with.

One last thing, I never say anyting behind someone's back (or over the interweb) that I wouldn't say to their face.

If you don't like it, as Hairy Neil said, feel free to block my posts.

I mis-read your post, I read it as something stupid, I said as much, Fuzzy said it could be read two ways, I deleted the comment that I thought your post was stupid, though left the bit disagreeing with your post.

My post wasn't abusive, it was observational.

I rarely edit the content of my posts (but always the spelling) as, though argumentative, I don't believe I ever post contrary to the forum rules.

I will always comment when I disagree with something and welcome comments from people who disagree with me.

I don't think I've rowed with anyone on this forum who I wouldn't buy a drink (except Chrisw, he's rich so he can get the round in) and would have a damn good barroom discussion/ row with.

One last thing, I never say anyting behind someone's back (or over the interweb) that I wouldn't say to their face.

If you don't like it, as Hairy Neil said, feel free to block my posts.

You've responded as if you think I was talking about you, whereas I specifically said I didn't have any one post or person in mind.

You've responded as if you think I was talking about you, whereas I specifically said I didn't have any one post or person in mind.

No, I responded as if I was talking about me. I made the post you initially mentioned, I felt it worth clarifying. End of.

I've only been on this forum a short time, and it seems to me like it runs like a lot of other forums i have been on, people will always take things to heart, feel as if they have been personally attacked, etc. - it's the nature of the internet and these "virtual" environments where a lot of people get a chance to comment on a wide range of things.

as i know very little about NB, i have found this forum very very helpful, i've been spending a lot of time just browsing and absorbing as much as i can from the threads i have been reading.

best policy i've found on forums / message boards / online banter - is to not take things personally, and to allow things to run off you like water off a ducks back.

peoples comments won't make me stop posting, as i want to know things, and asking questions is bloody good way of finding things out. people on here at least seem to take the time to point others in right direction, i imagine it can be quite tiresome with newbies coming along asking the same old questions...

is there a FAQ for the forum (i did do a search but couldn't find any results?)

i imagine it can be quite tiresome with newbies coming along asking the same old questions...

is there a FAQ for the forum (i did do a search but couldn't find any results?)

You're joking!! That's the best bit! New members come along and rekindle the arguments over and over again.

I think the search facility should be abolished, it puts people off asking about GIs.

There is no FAQ section because we can't agree:

1) what are the most frequently asked questions and:

2) what is the definitive answer.

You could start a fantastic row discussion by starting that thread, though.

Has a funny thing happened on the way to the forum?

:)

"...many classic elements of farce, including puns, a two-tiered set with many doors, cases of mistaken identity (frequently involving characters disguising themselves as one another), and satirical comments on social class."

Sounds like our forum!

(its actually a description of the film)

I've been hopping around various forums for a few years and understand exactly what you say,Norm.

When I first started foruming on other sites years ago I'd find myself effing and blinding at the pooter and almost pushing my fingers through the keyboard as I tapped out replies to certain posters.

Best thing I've learned to do when I come across the professional pain in the backside is scroll - scroll... and scroll again

I do scroll on here - but very, very rarely ....

If anyone has a question - I'd say "print and be damned" :) They can't hang you :D

.... and don't reply to any sad sodding moaners ... that just gives them the oxygen they need to survive

I'd give this forum 9 out of 10 for its mods, quality and helpfullness of posters and its lack of moaners.

You're joking!! That's the best bit! New members come along and rekindle the arguments over and over again.

I think the search facility should be abolished, it puts people off asking about GIs.

There is no FAQ section because we can't agree:

1) what are the most frequently asked questions and:

2) what is the definitive answer.

You could start a fantastic row discussion by starting that thread, though.

hehehe, seems like i've stumbled onto a raw nerve.

i guess a wiki of some sorts would be the best solution, then people could rant on there about topics... (i'll get my coat)...

I am a sad cybergeek, I run forums and post on many more too. As someone said, Im lazy to check who it was now, the forum represents real life and you get the character of the people who are posting coming through.

Ive not been here long but have found people to be helpful polite and as long as you have a sense of humour when reading I have never got upset by anything I have read here, I think its harmful to the forum to complain about bad language and the way its moderated, as far as I have seen we are all adults and should be able to read something without fainting at the sight of a swear word here and there and tbh Ive not seen any that hasnt been affected by the swear filter on here, mods do a difficult job without becoming topic nazis or having to judge if something said is meant in a jokey manner or not.

This is the liveliest canal forum on the net and all the better for it in my opinion to have over 3000 members and a consistently high number of posts a day means something the mods are doing is right obviously or else more people would have moved to 'other places' as someone else said (lazy again).

I dont tend to post a lot because I dont know a lot about GI's or sacrificial anodes, but I do know bits and bobs about this n that (which is very important when boating) and when I see something I can post on I do and have no fear of being 'jumped on' by anyone...mind you at my size its others who should worry about me jumping on them.

:)

Been away boating for a couple of days :D so catching up to do.

Agree Simon, get a thicker coat :) Not read the end of your moorings thread though.

But........nice young woman bought me beer and dinner on Monday. Spent the day with her in good weather in her back garden.

Tuesday went round to catch Chicken that had escaped, she bought 2 on Monday. Went to town to pie stall and Wilco for chicken wire. Went to Southrey with said female, met Roy (late) after shopping trip to Bardney for provisions. Changed landlords boat from Roy's trailer to his new one. What a performance........one done I went still with said young female to fetch my boat.

People have been complaining about the noise, so I recently went with the outboard, and then drifted with backwind. Phoned just to show people how quiet it was. On trip down she phoned Boyfriend for lift back from Southrey, we were going to Boston. Yelling in the phone she said 'I'm on Malc's quiet boat' ......... you can't win.

Night at Boston, back yesterday.

Early am got txt she was hungry, bread mouldy. Boyfriend had gone to work so I went and took breakfast. So had breakfast in bed (ALL ENTIRELY INNOCENT) but it sounds good doesn't it.

Now going for dinner date with another nice young woman.

Life's hard at times........

Now....what was all the fuss about.