That boat on the A9 ...

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Its all about the dwell angle. If worn we would set an average gap by pulling on the spindle one way to get a minimum gap and pushing the opposite way for maximum gap and set the gap to a clearance between the two. We always reset ignition timing statically after setting or fitting new contact points, in any vehicle, surprising how it could vary even using genuine contact sets as well as pattern ones.

Yup, that’s what I ended up doing (pushing/pulling the shaft) although I didn’t check or adjust the timing afterwards. 

I remember in the 1970's a car trader bringing a R/R Shadow to me with a missfire. He phoned Jack Barclays the R/R Bentley dealer for the cost of a pair contact sets, £5 odd per set!!!! I went round to our local Lucas agent and got the exact same genuine ones 42353 as fitted to most British cars in those day for 5'6d each.

• Happy 1

It did happen a lot and used to upset a lot of people, usually they would speed up beyond their capabilities, sometimes ending with them slowing down having a heated conversation with their passenger.

I get the same problem with my reliant rialto, and had the same problem with my smart car. 

The Skoda was a crap car though 

I have only ever had one speeding ticket, that was for doing 34mph in a Reliant Rebel, in an recently extended speed limit outside a village, in fact the week before, the police hid round the corner and made a fortune for the government that week. 

14 minutes ago, Paul C said:

If you get a speeding ticket, do they send the frame and a nail with it?

No, you have to provide them yourself

Joking aside... A friend had a speed camera photo framed on his wall, showing his reliant rialto van doing 82Mph on the motorway

8 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

No, you have to provide them yourself

Joking aside... A friend had a speed camera photo framed on his wall, showing his reliant rialto van doing 82Mph on the motorway

There is a story, not sure how true it is, of a judge throwing a speeding case out of court because he couldn't believe a reliant Robin could do over 90 mph 

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

There is a story, not sure how true it is, of a judge throwing a speeding case out of court because he couldn't believe a reliant Robin could do over 90 mph 

I once met a chap who had modified an old electric milkfloat with uprated everything and a Jag V6 engine where the batteries used to be.  The milk crates on the back were securely bolted down, and he took great joy in overtaking BMWs on the motorway.

28 minutes ago, rasputin said:

A Robin can easily do 90 (Degrees)

It seems a shame that Reliant did not Equip it with a self righting capability ,like Life boats have..

Edited by cereal tiller