Articulated Rudder

Trento

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Tail wag, caused by faulty avionics, fly by wire computer dodgy.

The hole aeroplane looks dodgy to me.

Only two enjuns. If one should fail they would be late getting to their destination. Should the other also fail they could be stuck up there for ever. Very risky don'tcher think?

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The hole aeroplane looks dodgy to me.

Only two enjuns. If one should fail they would be late getting to their destination. Should the other also fail they could be stuck up there for ever. Very risky don'tcher think?

Shouldn't that be on the Friday joke thread?

And Bizzard's plane seems to only have a rudder half the time - it keeps disappearing for me ...

On 23/11/2018 at 10:11, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not all boats behave like this. I find full rudder deflection (approx 80 degrees) delivers a LOT more sideways force than 45 degrees deflection. Also I get less forward motion for the amount of sideways force at full rudder deflection when spinning the boat around on its axis.

So I'm one of those you will see using full rudder defection when winding.  

I have found the most efficient way of doing a 180 is to bring the boat to a halt. Full rudder and tickover power,and the boat pivots nicely around it's centre of gravity,and turns almost in it's own length.

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have found the most efficient way of doing a 180 is to bring the boat to a halt. Full rudder and tickover power,and the boat pivots nicely around it's centre of gravity,and turns almost in it's own length.

Yes me too. One enhancement of the technique though, I first engage astern and get a little backwards motion established before applying full rudder and ahead. 

Ok two enhancements. With my 68ft 25 tonne boat and a low power single cylinder vintage lump, I actually use full power in ten second bursts and ten seconds at tickover. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit.

I was searching [fruitlessly] for the quotation "yaw yaw , not jaw jaw"

and found this bizzard friendly diagram

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_system#/media/File:Wind.turbine.components.and.coordinates.svg

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Can we join this thread to the one about the boat deposited on the A9, that was tail wag

oh, I though that was where we were ..................... , not to worry.

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I was searching [fruitlessly] for the quotation "yaw yaw , not jaw jaw"

and found this bizzard friendly diagram

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_system#/media/File:Wind.turbine.components.and.coordinates.svg

oh, I though that was where we were ..................... , not to worry.

Are you thinking of “Jaw, jaw is always better than war, war” - Winston Churchill. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you thinking of “Jaw, jaw is always better than war, war” - Winston Churchill. 

Ty, yes indeed.

pity Churchill did not listen to his own rhetoric, of course, once in to power, them politicians fall in love with their own ambitions. 

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ty, yes indeed.

pity Churchill did not listen to his own rhetoric, of course, once in to power, them politicians fall in love with their own ambitions. 

Now there's a new one on me!  Churchill? Really?  Did he not help us out just a bit somewhere along the line? 

I'm not picking up the oddly shaped ball and running with this one, in fact I was thinking of other actions of his, I believe he did lots of good things, but got carried away with his own verbosity at times. I never mentioned the war.

Edited by LadyG

I'm not going necessarily to resign over this one, but if I can't say a word without some porridge stirring reaction, that's exactly what will happen. 

Articulated rudders are common on dinghies to prevent grounding when beaching. 

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

I'm not going necessarily to resign over this one, but if I can't say a word without some porridge stirring reaction, that's exactly what will happen.

May I propose that discussing quotes from Churchill be classed as 'political history' rather than politics? 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

May I propose that discussing quotes from Churchill be classed as 'political history' rather than politics? 

You want a special rule.  That's not going to happen today.

Related image

21 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No, that was Basil Fawlty... but I think he got away with it. ;)

He most definitely didn't, he made that German girl cry!

It was all terribly near the knuckle at the time, as the war had only ended about 30 years before. 73 years later and the shock and horror we felt at the time at the stuff Basil Fawlty was coming out with has largely evaporated.