Wot is this pipe and where can I get a replacement?

lampini

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Just one TPI???,  a nice big spanner and you won't even notice. ?

Spanner??!!!! No self respecting plumber would be seen dead with anything as sophisticated a spanner. You’re showing youself up for the engineer you are, there, Dave!! 

Any hairy-arsed site plumber will be using a Stilson pipe wrench, in which case I agree with you, 1TPI difference = the same.  

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Spanner??!!!! No self respecting plumber would be seen dead with anything as sophisticated a spanner. You’re showing youself up for the engineer you are, there, Dave!! 

Any hairy-arsed site plumber will be using a Stilson pipe wrench, in which case I agree with you, 1TPI difference = the same.  

Sparkies don't have spanners either. Any nuts and bolts that get in the way of their electric string can be chewed up perfectly satisfactorily with a pair of pliers.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Plumbing technicians use spanners, I do. And the alternative is Footprints, 15/16 AF nuts are far too small for Stilsons.

Must be no hairs on mine then?

Its cross threaded for sure.

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Sparkies don't have spanners either. Any nuts and bolts that get in the way of their electric string can be chewed up perfectly satisfactorily with a pair of pliers.

Jen ?

Steady on, my sons an electrician and things have got much more sophisticated, water pump pliers are his general purpose weapon of choice, like pliers but adjustable ?. However if Makita ever produce a set of electric pliers who would use those instead.

..............Dave

UPDATE TIME!

had the thing apart and cleaned it up and......

THERE WERENT NO WASHER AT ALL!!! ?

Said washer acquired and fitted and no more leak - no PTFE needed as threads were fine...

many thanks to all!

????

3 hours ago, dmr said:

However if Makita ever produce a set of electric pliers who would use those instead.

I wouldn't. My DeWalt batteries wouldn't fit. ;)

1 hour ago, lampini said:

Said washer acquired and fitted and no more leak - no PTFE needed as threads were fine...

How good is it when the easy solution actually does the job!? :D

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

How good is it when the easy solution actually does the job!? :D

Very good indeedy!! Was surprised there was no washer - or traces thereof - the bloke wot did the original fit-out was pretty good...

But hey - at least he made sure there were access hatches everywhere needed! 

ETA particular thanks to MTB.. ?

Edited by lampini

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Any thread involving BSP usually has Tree monkey all over it. Stick a log of strange wood over the leak and he will be along shortly.

Coincidentally BSP is doing a bit of plumbing today, obviously I mansplained and gave her my bag of plumbing bits and went for a snooze. 

Funny thing plumbing, there's always more trips to screwfix and more bits left over than anything else, and the bits left over never seem to be the right bits for the next job

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funny thing plumbing, there's always more trips to screwfix and more bits left over than anything else, and the bits left over never seem to be the right bits for the next job

How true that is. 

1 hour ago, lampini said:

Very good indeedy!! Was surprised there was no washer - or traces thereof - the bloke wot did the original fit-out was pretty good...

But hey - at least he made sure there were access hatches everywhere needed! 

ETA particular thanks to MTB.. ?

Sure sign the builder is expecting leaks ?

• Haha 1

You may get away with filing a flat face on the filter thread to give the washer something to seal on, but do not overtighten the nut on the plastic thread. These nuts tend to be a loose fit when used on a brass bsp tap thread, so when screwed onto the plastic thread this can easily deform inwards ( ie no internal taper on the attached fitting to prevent this) and it is very easy to strip the thread. From just nipping the seal washer ( assuming it is not missing! ) to a reasonable grip is probably less than 1/2 a turn. If the thread has already been damaged the fitting will have little chance of pulling up square. You would be far better to use the proper cone end fittings if you want a leak free system.

One more thought, the bore on these flexibles is often well under 1/2 inch so can reduce the pump flow due to a throttle suction line. They are design for pressure line use when the bore restriction is not so marked.

Edited by adrianh

8 minutes ago, adrianh said:

If the thread has already been damaged the fitting will have little chance of pulling up square. You would be far better to use the proper cone end fittings if you want a leak free system.

The thread on the plastic on mine was fine - just full of pointless PTFE gunk... wot is the “proper cone end fitting” plz...? Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We live in divided times in a divided society, and Brexit is insignificant compared with the gulf between Makitaman and DeWaltman  ?

.............Dave