Can't contact Teddesley Boat Company...

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knew what, if anything, has happened to the Teddesley Boat Company?

We have been talking to them all summer about launching our boat there and they have been good as gold but now we have a 95% firm date of 11/10, around 3 weeks ago they stopped answering their phones and have not responded to e-mails otherwise we will need to start making alternative arrangements and it was difficult enough to find one yard in the right sort of place and price!

I thought that that may have been on holiday but now I wonder if they have simply closed as if they’d gone on holiday for 3 weeks or more then wouldn’t they have changed the voice message or website or something?  If they are on holiday does anyone know when they are back? It'd be sad if such a helpful bunch had suddenly closed for some reason.

45 minutes ago, NealSmith100 said:

This is odd - Mrs Neal definitely tells me she's been speaking to them all summer but we'll try them then!

Thanks

I'm not surprised - not only did Linda sell the company, but the telephone number as well! The trouble is that the old TBC website is still active and showing that number - perhaps that's why your management got confused (and me as well). I nagged her to get rid of the website - but to no avail - hope she's not paying for it... 

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I nagged her to get rid of the website - but to no avail - hope she's not paying for it...

Swerving off at a tangent, the old Liverpool boats site remains live a decade after they went to the wall. I wonder why and how this is happening. Someone MUST be dipping their hand in their pocket to keep it going, but why would they do that?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Swerving off at a tangent, the old Liverpool boats site remains live a decade after they went to the wall. I wonder why and how this is happening. Someone MUST be dipping their hand in their pocket to keep it going, but why would they do that?

They could well have paid for the hosting in advance. I pay 5 years at a time for one of my sites. There’s no refund available so even if receivers are involved there’s nothing for them to claw back. 

You will probably find someone at Collingwood keeps it going as a link to them.

Well, my old users site at zetnet.co.uk is still there, and zetnet folded at least ten years ago and I certainly haven't paid any money to whoever owns it now since 2009. It even has a little flash beside it that says "updated". I think the internet is littered with zombie sites that will outlast us all.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, my old users site at zetnet.co.uk is still there, and zetnet folded at least ten years ago and I certainly haven't paid any money to whoever owns it now since 2009. It even has a little flash beside it that says "updated". I think the internet is littered with zombie sites that will outlast us all.

Otherwise known as the CobWeb. 

On 12/09/2018 at 21:42, Rob-M said:

I'm not sure anybody ever deletes a DNS entry so a site name will remain and if a hosting company doesn't remove old pages then the site will continue to be live

It will only stay live until the domain registration expires...

22 hours ago, StephenA said:

It will only stay live until the domain registration expires...

But they’re available for 10 year registrations or even longer. Last time I renewed one of my dot com registrations I did it for 5 years just to avoid the hassle of looking up the details every year. 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

What is interesting is the Last Updated date of 30 March 2018 which suggests that someone is actively doing things.  The last updated date for my domain is when I moved hosting companies.

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

What is interesting is the Last Updated date of 30 March 2018 which suggests that someone is actively doing things.  The last updated date for my domain is when I moved hosting companies.

I wondered about that too but it could be a simple as a DNS server change via the hosting company as they replace old kit.  That would update the nominet record timestamp.