Photos of other members boats.

AllanW

Featured Posts

We spotted it too, just before we crossed paths with you coming in the opposite direction. You were on the towpath walking the dog.

Or more likely Odin was walking me!

I'm sure we have passed lots of CWDF folk already, but have not always been aware of it.

I have met some for the first time though.

Off the top of my head, Beaker, Boots & DOR, but I'm sure there have been several others.

Who the countless people are who have yelled "you must be Alan", "you must be Cath" or "we read your blog", I am lfar ess certain, particularly when we have been on "Sickle", and the only realistic answer to questions that have tried to compete with an air-cooled Lister is "half past three".

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone going to the Saul Festival at Davis's boatyard could photograph my boat, Thomas Clayton - Pearl, which is sunk, partially sunk or being kept afloat by pumps I could complete my record of Pearl from my acquisition and rebuilding to CRT's unlawful seizure, unnecessary transportation, consequent damage and subsequent sinking.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Huh! First time I've noticed this thread. If anyone's going past Clattercote Wharf (north of Cropredy) I'd be happy for someone to take a photo of 'Tempus Fugit' just to assure me she's not sinking :)

(and send me a PM to let me know?) (posted Mon 29th Sept 2014)

Taking photos and posting pictures of other people's boats does seem a bit personal/naughty, unless permission is given. How about taking photos of boaters carrying their Elsans/Thetfords? ;)

Huh! First time I've noticed this thread. If anyone's going past Clattercote Wharf (north of Cropredy) I'd be happy for someone to take a photo of 'Tempus Fugit' just to assure me she's not sinking smile.png

She was afloat when we passed nine days ago.

Taking photos and posting pictures of other people's boats does seem a bit personal/naughty,

Why? Most people are proud of their boats and are happy to see photos of them.

. How about taking photos of boaters carrying their Elsans/Thetfords? wink.png

You taking the pee? Oh no, they are.

• 2 weeks later...
Athy, on 29 Sept 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Why? Most people are proud of their boats and are happy to see photos of them.

To be fair it raises an interesting issue as some members have raised issues on here before about wanting to be 'anonymous' as being one of the reasons that they moved onto the waterways, this could be for a number of personal/domestic reasons.

It could be argued that a PM to the member in question before putting the picture up would be the correct thing to do, particularly if specifying the boat location or if the location is obvious from the picture.

I wouldn't have a problem with it but perhaps we should consider the views of those that might?

To be fair it raises an interesting issue as some members have raised issues on here before about wanting to be 'anonymous' as being one of the reasons that they moved onto the waterways, this could be for a number of personal/domestic reasons.

It could be argued that a PM to the member in question before putting the picture up would be the correct thing to do, particularly if specifying the boat location or if the location is obvious from the picture.

I wouldn't have a problem with it but perhaps we should consider the views of those that might?

If they wish anonymity, all they need to do is omit their boat name from their avatar, then no one will know if a particular boat belongs to a forum member or not.

Anyone who wants to train their lens on Trojan is welcome to do so! Have a look at the boat moored next door to her too if you're passing - a 1977 Water Travel tug with a smart looking Gardner 2L2.

Athy, on 09 Oct 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

If they wish anonymity, all they need to do is omit their boat name from their avatar, then no one will know if a particular boat belongs to a forum member or not.

Anyone who wants to train their lens on Trojan is welcome to do so! Have a look at the boat moored next door to her too if you're passing - a 1977 Water Travel tug with a smart looking Gardner 2L2.

The potential problem comes when somebody innocently posts a photo of somebodies boat completely unaware that the owner may for example have fled a violent relationship or somebody chasing them for money or other reasons. (I accept its difficult but certainly possible to know somebodies boat without them posting the name in here, they may have previously met them and seen their boat at a forum banter for example)

If the person the boater has fled from happens to know the boat name (which will appear in the picture anyway) then it's a short step to catch up with said person knowing they were in a particular area at around a particular time.

Far fetched? Possibly but possible none the less.

I recall a similar concern being expressed by some forum members about their boats being recognised after appearing on Google Street View.

as I say I have no problem with it either but I suspect some would. Yes of course they could report the post and ask for the picture to be taken off but by then it might be too late.

Edited by The Dog House

Heh - just realised I have the name of 'my boat' as EF, which is my boat here in its own little house wot I built for it. 5m long glass fibre 'Galax' made in Helsinki, 20hp Evinrude. I should get a sticker for the back of it which says 'My Other Boat is a Delph Marine' :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...