Home Automation

Robbo

Featured Posts

I'm getting into home automation and going to implement onto the boat I'm fitting out.   Anyone here have the same thoughts to throw around some ideas and systems used?

Currently I'm devising a system which has...

Philips Hue with zigbee ballasts to drive the LED downlights

Robot-Electronics dscript relay board for controlling the Generator, Inverter, Pumps, etc.

Google Mini Home for Voice control

Raspberry Pi with Node-Red for implementing a bit of flow-programming.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

He wants to build some completely unnecessary weak points into the design? ?

No weak points, this is all additional.

Just now, Graham Davis said:

I note you've ignored the last queston!

And how about explaining, in English, what it all means and what it does and why it does it? We aren't all geeks!

Not sure what you mean if the battery goes flat, I run a fridge and other devices so I charge my battery when required.

It's for Home Automation, so you can have control of "things" from other "things". 

Just now, Robbo said:

No weak points, this is all additional.

Additional to what? Anything extra is an addition that can go wrong so it's another weak point. I was of course having a jape but peeps who build gimmicks into anything that makes them more complex than before are just adding potential grief. Much like combis when a separate inverter and charger makes much more sense innitt ?

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

He wants to build some completely unnecessary weak points into the design? ?

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I note you've ignored the last queston!

And how about explaining, in English, what it all means and what it does and why it does it? We aren't all geeks!

You guys are missing the point. Robbo is after thoughts from like minded people with similar ideas, not dinosaurs :)

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Additional to what? Anything extra is an addition that can go wrong so it's another weak point. I was of course having a jape but peeps who build gimmicks into anything that makes them more complex than before are just adding potential grief. Much like combis when a separate inverter and charger makes much more sense innitt ?

Additional to standard switches and controls that already control your "things".

1 minute ago, NB Lola said:

Try IFTTT to help reduce flow programming

I was looking to implement flow stuff locally as I don't want to rely on a Internet connection (although you have to with Voice Control).  The Hue system and relay board are quite advanced and can be programmed to do quite a bit of stuff independently anyhow, so the flow stuff is minimal (if any at all).

At the moment I've been using Stringify, which I prefer over IFTTT.

My only experience of home automation is with X10 (ancient and flakey) and LightwaveRf ( bit light on features). Of course I am aware of such things a Zwave and Zigbee but never actually used them. Just wondering if wireless linkage is worth it in the confines of a boat? I suppose it could be if retrofitting rather than initially installing.

Our boat runs on Empirbus which comprises input and output modules and keypads all linked by a canbus type network ie its all wired. It’s not that sophisticated but allows timers, PWM dimming of lights etc and I have attached a Maplin 4 channel keyfob remote for local remote control, and a GSM digital and analogue remote for controlling and reading stuff via text message. It’s all worked pretty seamlessly in the 7 years we’ve had the boat.

Little touches like a single button at the corridor to the bedroom to turn out all lights forward of that point, a “going to the pub” button which turns out all the lights except a couple to make the boat look “lived in”, an “all lights on” button at the helm for entering tunnels, a dimmable headlight for those who like to moan about too-bright tunnel lights and most importantly, the ability to turn on the Mikuni from afar, all make life just that little bit easier. And when I wanted to swap the hopeless shower sump box for a Gulper, I just added some inline flow switches to the shower connected to a spare input, reprogrammed to make the pump run including a run-on function so the pump continues for 20 secs after the shower is turned off. Simple! So you just have a shower as you would at home, you don’t have to faff about turning pumps on and off.

Anyway, more power to your elbow, ignore the luddites and keep us up to date with how you get on.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

My only experience of home automation is with X10 (ancient and flakey) and LightwaveRf ( bit light on features). Of course I am aware of such things a Zwave and Zigbee but never actually used them. Just wondering if wireless linkage is worth it in the confines of a boat? I suppose it could be if retrofitting rather than initially installing.

Our boat runs on Empirbus which comprises input and output modules and keypads all linked by a canbus type network ie its all wired. It’s not that sophisticated but allows timers, PWM dimming of lights etc and I have attached a Maplin 4 channel keyfob remote for local remote control, and a GSM digital and analogue remote for controlling and reading stuff via text message. It’s all worked pretty seamlessly in the 7 years we’ve had the boat.

Little touches like a single button at the corridor to the bedroom to turn out all lights forward of that point, a “going to the pub” button which turns out all the lights except a couple to make the boat look “lived in”, an “all lights on” button at the helm for entering tunnels, a dimmable headlight for those who like to moan about too-bright tunnel lights and most importantly, the ability to turn on the Mikuni from afar, all make life just that little bit easier. And when I wanted to swap the hopeless shower sump box for a Gulper, I just added some inline flow switches to the shower connected to a spare input, reprogrammed to make the pump run including a run-on function so the pump continues for 20 secs after the shower is turned off. Simple! So you just have a shower as you would at home, you don’t have to faff about turning pumps on and off.

Anyway, more power to your elbow, ignore the luddites and keep us up to date with how you get on.

Blimey Nick thanks for this post. I will now be able to have a shower without all the faff of switching my gulper on and off. Just been to the bathroom to try it out and it takes nearly a third of a second each and every time I have a shower so it will be great not having to do that. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey Nick thanks for this post. I will now be able to have a shower without all the faff of switching my gulper on and off. Just been to the bathroom to try it out and it takes nearly a third of a second each and every time I have a shower so it will be great not having to do that. ?

It strikes me that most light switches are ideally placed for (1) switching on when you enter the room, and (2) switching off when you leave. The same applies to shower pumps.

I'd be reluctant to do any less enforced exercise, as getting up to turn the light is sometimes the most effort I make of an evening.

sometimes when i walk up to the boat after a hard training session and im knackered  i press the remote control on the keybunch. 100% of the time this has failed to open the doors. The technology is all there its the user interface that has the problem. I then get to the car ( only use it to go to church) days later and find it open.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I was looking at Empirbus at one time (the NXT system mainly), but with the likes of Alexa, Google and Siri home automation has taken off in the last 2 years or so, where I think systems like the Empirbus will be left behind.    I know what you mean with wireless vs wired and was looking at wired systems like DALI, but many of the new systems use Zigbee like the Philips Hue.   It works a fair bit from the boat and it will be easy to relocate switches and motion detectors if required.   I will be wiring like for a Empirbus system, so everything is wired individually to a centralised location so can easily be rejigged even too a "dinosaur system" if need be.

I too, use a Google Home mini on board, I also use on at home. In my experience anything of board that could go wrong will go wrong. On the canals nothing serious can really go wrong apart from fire,Gas weirs etc so you're free to automate whatever you wish.

If anyone can recommend a really tried and tested alarm system than detects unwanted movement, listing or bilge pumps  activating please do as I dislike being too far away from my boat for long periods.

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, I’m sure it will have taken longer for you to light the candle to see your way there.