Overstaying

Gareth E

Featured Posts

So no room to moor. How many boats was there room for, how many boats were there, how did you ascertain who shouldn't be there. How do you choose which boat to blame for there not being a space for you. How do you know this boat hasn't moved away and back since you last saw it, sufficient to fulfil the guidelines? Or hasn't a reasonable reason for overstaying. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So your position is....

People 'with problems' should be allowed to hog the best moorings while those of us (supposedly) without problems should walk further. Yes?

Been through is invalid loop of logic here before a few hundred times haven't we!

Do you also consider people 'with problems' should be excused buying a licence?

I’ve already given examples of what I mean by problems. you seem to have gone down that road of false assumptions, and what has licensing got to do with overstaying? 

The rules allow for valid reasons to overstay, there will of course be those who will stretch them. All I’m saying is don’t be too quick to judge, something which seems very popular on forums these days.

3 minutes ago, rowland al said:

I’ve already given examples of what I mean by problems. you seem to have gone down that road of false assumptions, and what has licensing got to do with overstaying? 

The rules allow for valid reasons to overstay, there will of course be those who will stretch them. All I’m saying is don’t be too quick to judge, something which seems very popular on forums these days.

We are discussing the white boat overstaying in the fens. Do the normal CRT rules you cite apply in the fens? 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, if you actually read the thread and followed the flow of the arguments. 

Clearly you didn't. 

I didn’t realise everyone has to follow your flow. Anyway, I’m only here for the 5 minute argument. Time to do some boating. :)

5 minutes ago, rowland al said:

I didn’t realise everyone has to follow your flow. Anyway, I’m only here for the 5 minute argument. Time to do some boating. :)

Well it's pretty difficult to debate a subject when people jump in and start debating something else, having not read through the debate in the first place. As you have just illustrated. Yes, best you go and do some boating instead of disrupting this debate!

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

I’m not sure that making judgements based on heresay is right though (but clearly some people do).

Yes, there are piss takers, but there are also legitimate reasons for overstaying (breakdown, illness, emergencies).

The poster who said they had reported the overstayer seemed to be working on personal observation not hearsay, so that argument is out of the window.

If the overstayer had a legitimate reason for the stay CRT would know and either reply politely with words to the effect of "Thank you for your concern we are aware of the boat and its reasons for staying or not reply as they knew about the stay and that it was legitimate.  So no harm done.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The word "normal" and "fens" are not often seen in the same sentence!:ninja:

In reality, Fenland District Council has created this problem through its own refusal to act for many years.  The moorings have had signs advising a 36-hour limit but the council has never bothered to create byelaws which would enable them to enforce the limit. The only remedy that has been open to them is an action for trespass - a long-winded and probably expensive process.  Unlike the EA's Anglian waterways where prior legislation on mooring prevents councils creating new byelaws, there has never been any reason why Fenland District Council should not do so.  Byelaws can create a criminal offence and thus come with a great inducement not to be ignored.

Instead, they have adopted a civil penalty scheme.  It may work, but is much more likely to prove an annoyance to genuine visitors than a proper deterrent to those chancers who will always find a way to beat the system and will certainly ignore any Penalty Charge Notice placed on their boat  in the full knowledge that enforcing payment will be next to impossible.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its amazing how good the level of maths is at our local School- the kids can all do their 12x table just by using their fingers !

Does the webbing not get in the way?

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its amazing how good the level of maths is at our local School- the kids can all do their 12x table just by using their fingers !

Evidently it's better than that at the local council, where "both" refers to three groups of people.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At least I was taught to use 'a choice' and 'two-choices' correctly.

"You have two-choices" really grates on me when there is only option A or option B.

Yes, it grates alot.

21 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Who are "most people" ? Some people want a cheaper lifestyle, what's wrong with that? As long as its within the rules why shouldn't they have it. 

Personally I have no problem, it's nowt to do with me if others want a different lifestyle. 

I'm not impressed by continuous moorers(although is go further and say I'm not happy with the number of boats on the river lea overall.)

Wasn't that many years when you could go along the tow path and see nice stretches of river. Now it is has lots of long stretches of boats and tarpaulin covered boats. View is rather worse for the matter.

2 hours ago, rowland al said:

As Matty pointed out, when the visitor moorings are full, there are usually other places to moor up so long as you can walk a few hundred yards. 

In that area it could be tricky: much of the waterway has high, steep banks (for flood control) and many of those banks belong to farmers or householders anyway. People who aren't very agile would have particular difficulty.

Breaking laws can indeed be victimless. For example, doing 30 in a 20mph limit that's there due to the proximity of a school, during the school holidays, is of no more risk to others than doing 30 mph on other urban roads. Conversely, doing 50 mph down a narrow country lane at night in driving sleet is within the 60 mph limit, but more likely to have a victim than my previous scenario.

Personally, I regularly break the 'law' by pushing my motor bike along the towpath to my boat. Note; push, not ride. I consider this safer than a cyclist doing 15 mph along a narrow towpath which incidentally, is also illegal, but seems to have been widely accepted as being ok. I'll also leave my bike on the towpath but only if the towpath is wide and then it will be on its side stand, virtually leaning against the boat, so there's no chance of it tipping and someone being caught under it.

At the end of the day laws are blunt instruments that can't possibly be fair in every scenario.  I'm personally happy in that I follow the spirit of the law i.e. be considerate to others' safety and peaceful existence and beyond that, do as I please. Anarchy with responsibility might sum that up nicely. Fortunately, despite there being a number of people who appear unable to see beyond lists of printed rules, the vast majority of people think as I do, and it all works rather well, most of the time.

2 hours ago, Gareth E said:

At the end of the day laws are blunt instruments that can't possibly be fair in every scenario.  I'm personally happy in that I follow the spirit of the law i.e. be considerate to others' safety and peaceful existence and beyond that, do as I please. Anarchy with responsibility might sum that up nicely. Fortunately, despite there being a number of people who appear unable to see beyond lists of printed rules, the vast majority of people think as I do, and it all works rather well, most of the time.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Harry Day

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Harry Day

Yet we have just had a lot of posts insisting rules on politics on the forum should be enforced.  So are the posters fools trying to insist everyone else becomes a fool as well?

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Yet we have just had a lot of posts insisting rules on politics on the forum should be enforced.  So are the posters fools trying to insist everyone else becomes a fool as well?

As always, things seem to tend towards the lowest common denominator. ?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It doesn't great as much as 'there are three alternatives'...

In my case, "alot" does grate,m er, a lot, as does "thankyou". I suppose that the meaning is perfectly clear in both instances but I still don't like them.