Mr Smelly's Personal Rain Cloud

cuthound

Featured Posts

Had an excellent days boating today.

The day dawned bright and sunny and we headed off home.

Approaching Polesworth we saw "Whistle Stop" and exchanged pleasantries with Mr Smelly and his long suffering wife.

Very shortly afterwards the clouds gathered and it began to rain.

Despite donning an old bright yellow oilskin, it didn't stop until after we had tied up.

It seems Matty40's was right, Mr Smelly does have his own personal rain cloud, and had somehow managed to temporarily leave it behind this morning. :D

Nice to meet you Mr Smelly, next time we must try and cross paths outside a pub so we can enjoy a pint or two together!

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Had an excellent days boating today.

The day dawned bright and sunny and we headed off home.

Approaching Polesworth we saw "Whistle Stop" and exchanged pleasantries with Mr Smelly and his long suffering wife.

Very shortly afterwards the clouds gathered and it began to rain.

Despite donning an old bright yellow oilskin, it didn't stop until after we had tied up.

It seems Matty40's was right, Mr Smelly does have his own personal rain cloud, and had somehow managed to temporarily leave it behind this morning. :D

Nice to meet you Mr Smelly, next time we must try and cross paths outside a pub so we can enjoy a pint or two together!

And you :cheers: And yes we got the chairs out and table and its bloomin rained. You will have seen my bro in law on " Merlin " coming towards you a bit later if you noticed. Anyway ITS FAB again now so we are all out with refreshments preparing barby four in four days :D 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

And you :cheers: And yes we got the chairs out and table and its bloomin rained. You will have seen my bro in law on " Merlin " coming towards you a bit later if you noticed. Anyway ITS FAB again now so we are all out with refreshments preparing barby four in four days :D 

We must have passed you yesterday if you're in Polesworth

Don't have a cat by any chance do you?

Just now, tree monkey said:

We must have passed you yesterday if you're in Polesworth

Don't have a cat by any chance do you?

No a dog. We were only passing thro Polesworth today and moored just tuther side. We were bridge 81 last night :cheers:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No a dog. We were only passing thro Polesworth today and moored just tuther side. We were bridge 81 last night :cheers:

Ahh must have missed you, a slightly unplanned trip to Alvercote yesterday to turn BSPs boat around so I could tow mine backwards to the mooring

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

so I could tow mine backwards to the mooring

From where? I reversed Melaleuca from the tap to your mooring.

We got rained on today descending the Itchington ten, so Mrsmelly is being generous with his clouds.

MP.

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

From where? I reversed Melaleuca from the tap to your mooring.

We got rained on today descending the Itchington ten, so Mrsmelly is being generous with his clouds.

MP.

From the dry dock at Grendon wharf, both boats facing the wrong way, so take BSPs boat to wind and tow mine back.

Two things

Boats don't tow well backwards at all

Bsps boat really really really wasn't up to the job.

Still I didn't hit anything

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

From the dry dock at Grendon wharf, both boats facing the wrong way, so take BSPs boat to wind and tow mine back.

Two things

Boats don't tow well backwards at all

Bsps boat really really really wasn't up to the job.

Ah, that would be an ambitious reverse. Boats don't tow backwards for the same reason they don't self-propel backwards - it puts the rudder at completely the wrong end.

In what way dis BSP's boat fail at its task?

MP.

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Ah, that would be an ambitious reverse. Boats don't tow backwards for the same reason they don't self-propel backwards - it puts the rudder at completely the wrong end.

In what way dis BSP's boat fail at its task?

MP.

Underpowered, as my gearbox is kaput at the moment there was no choice but I had snails overtaking me.

As I had limited forward momentum I couldn't straighten mine out, intresting experience. 

• Happy 1

33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Underpowered, as my gearbox is kaput at the moment there was no choice but I had snails overtaking me.

As I had limited forward momentum I couldn't straighten mine out, intresting experience. 

Not hitting anything is good, especially when it's the neighbours. You wanna talk to Unkle Richard about that 'box.

MP.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

... Mrsmelly is being generous with his clouds.

Very generous indeed - we moved from Hawkesbury Junction to Marston Junction, where we turned (sadly it's time to head slowly back to base) and returned to where we set out from.

The outward leg was fab. Then we stopped for a long leisurely lunch near Charity Dock before setting off at about 3 or 3.30 back to the stop lock.

At that precise moment mrsmelly's raincloud attacked and did not let go until almost the exact moment we tied up. Then the sun came out again and the rest of the afternoon was lovely, apart, that is, from the stink which turned out to be a rotting sheep/dog/whatever in the water about 15 yards from our bow doors. Unfortunately it won't drift away as CRT (the CRT-aware notice would suggest) have tied it to the bank. 

Edited by Lily Rose
Bloody auto-(in)correct!

6 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

. Then the sun came out again and the rest of the afternoon was lovely, apart, that is, from the stink which turned out to be a rotting sheep/dog/whatever in the water about 15 yards from our now doors. Unfortunately it won't drift away as CRT (the CRT-aware notice would suggest) have tied it to the bank. 

I've heard muttonings of a new CRT policy to Section 8 anything floating without a licence.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You will have seen my bro in law on " Merlin " coming towards you a bit later if you noticed.

Hmmm curious. I am moored next to TWO boats each named 'Merlin'. 

One is the wizard, the other is the bird of prey. Which is your bro in law?

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The one with two smartgauges. :giggles:

(Sorry, wrong Merlin) 

Edited by rusty69

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He is a common chap. Apparently there are 64 boats named Merlin!! How disgusting!! Hadnt thought why its called Merlin before, it was called that when he bought it some years ago. Nicer today innitt as its not so hot...........I dont like hot. B)

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

He is a common chap. Apparently there are 64 boats named Merlin!! How disgusting!! Hadnt thought why its called Merlin before, it was called that when he bought it some years ago. Nicer today innitt as its not so hot...........I dont like hot. B)

Don't worry soon be winter ;)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Met two boats whose name I didn't notice, one at Polesworth, on the blind bend leading to the bridge, (I reversed to allow him through the bridge), and a dark coloured trad near Alvecote with a man steering and a lady hanging off the gunwale.

Was "Merlin" either of those?

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Met two boats whose name I didn't notice, one at Polesworth, on the blind bend leading to the bridge, (I reversed to allow him through the bridge), and a dark coloured trad near Alvecote with a man steering and a lady hanging off the gunwale.

Was "Merlin" either of those?

Its a dark green trad thingy with a clunky noisey old scrap iron engine in the dining room with a tug deck and black cratch cover. 66 feet long but takeout the tug style pointy end, the boatmans cupboard at the arse end and the engine room has about as much accomodation as a springer waterbug. B)

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a dark green trad thingy with a clunky noisey old scrap iron engine in the dining room with a tug deck and black cratch cover. 66 feet long but takeout the tug style pointy end, the boatmans cupboard at the arse end and the engine room has about as much accomodation as a springer waterbug. B)

Sounds a cracking good boat to me!

• Greenie 1