New batteries

Rob99fla

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dr Bob is welcome to borrow one of my smartgauges if he would like to experiment and see if this is true.

Thanks, Mike, will it be accurately calibrated?

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

From eco-duck to smart-duck. I can see why you bid so much now:)

It's got blue tooth as well.

.....I need to take him to the dentist!

Edited by Dr Bob
To make the post more stupid?
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unless you are Heisenberg's duck cat, then you won't be so certain.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Did he borrow that cat from Schrodinger?

No.  Schroedinger's cat went in the box with the poison.  Heisenberg's looked at the box, thought "I'm not sure about this!" and hid behind the sofa.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No.  Schroedinger's cat went in the box with the poison.  Heisenberg's looked at the box, thought "I'm not sure about this!" and hid behind the sofa.

But then another sofa appeared right next to him as the original sofa transformed into an anti-sofa and a little flash of light. 

And thanks for the spelling correction for Schrod... Shreod... the Cat bloke. 

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It's got blue tooth as well.

.....I need to take him to the dentist!

That's a shame. The ducks round here always achieve their objectives because, having no teeth, they are bound to suck seed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

That's a shame. The ducks round here always achieve their objectives because, having no teeth, they are bound to suck seed.

That will be the least of his problems if the duck ain't porta potti trained - his boat will be full of Duck weed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

But then another sofa appeared right next to him as the original sofa transformed into an anti-sofa and a little flash of light. 

And thanks for the spelling correction for Schrod... Shreod... the Cat bloke. 

Sadly Schroedinger is a typo!

Technically it is/was Schrödinger who had the indeterminate cat, as opposed to Heisenberg's uncertain one.

There was an anti-sofa at my Dad's sisters' house ...

Edited by TheBiscuits

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sadly Schroedinger is a typo!

Technically it is/was Schrödinger.

There was an anti-sofa at my Dad's sisters' house ...

Wot a Humdinger.

Edited by rusty69

• 5 months later...
On 04/03/2018 at 19:09, Tony Brooks said:

If you are never charging them properly then never, that is what some of us are trying to say. You claim you are but your data suggests not unless you had a faulty set of batteries. You seem to think that you did and you may well be correct but I await your progress reports with great interest.

Thought I’d give an update now it’s been over 6 months since I fitted the 4x new US2200 batteries. Just to say, the batteries are performing very well. As time has passed, they have actually got better. We’ve replaced the 240v fridge with a 12v Inlander and added another 100w solar (total now 400w) and beefed up the solar controller to battery cables. All I can say is that the previous woes of the 4x Halfords 115ahr are over. Over the summer, I’ve not needed to run the engine unless I need hot water when moored up for a few days. Even with the Mikuni running (it’s getting cooler now), inverter on and everything charging (phones,iPad etc), I’ve never seen the battery voltage drop below 12.25 volts under load. Even with a whole evenings TV (240v), the batteries never read below 12.4 in the morning. Any, suffice to say, they done the job for our boat. Hope this helps anyone thinking about fitting US2200 batteries. Yes, I know T105’s are very popular too but I chose US2200 as like to be a bit differently. 

• Greenie 2

Jolly good. Like you I found ordinary leisure batteries pretty hopeless despite charging them properly. Now had the Trojans for 5 years, still as-new. I think the US2200 batteries are nearly identical, so it’s probably just a matter of going for what is cheaper. Currently the US seem a bit cheaper and claim slightly more AH.

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. 

Are there really no uk branded batteries as good as US, Rolls and Trojan? 

Your Powerlines were UK branded, I think you really mean UK manufactured :clapping:.

The 6 volt jobbies are often called Golf Cart batteries so maybe that is the clue, over here most people will walk round a Golf course whilst in America everybody drives everywhere.....and we don't make much at all here anymore.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’m not buying yuasa again. They are too intolerant of Shytegauges!

Most European telecoms companies and data centres do, surely they can't all be wrong?

In my experience Yuasa are not the best performing batteries (Rolls are), but they are the most cost effective.

However batteries on boats are used somewhat differently to any commercial use, so my experience is not that relevant.

On 05/03/2018 at 17:59, Col_T said:

Your original post said

I read this and think you are saying that, if the 12.1v reading was taken from a remote gauge, the voltage at the battery terminals would be less than 12.1v. I don't understand your original post as I would expect a reading taken from a remote gauge to show a lower figure than a reading taken direct at the batteries.

On 05/03/2018 at 18:44, WotEver said:

Me too. 

On 05/03/2018 at 18:45, bizzard said:

I see what you mean Col T. I mean't a reading of 12.1v taken from a remote gauge is likely to be lower than if a reading with a voltmeter had been taken directly on the batteries.

I'm sorry, but unless there is current flowing (and there shouldn't be if the batteries are in their rested state) the voltage reading will be the same whether taken at the terminal posts or any other point on the circuit.