Getting moved on by CRT

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Yesterday morning CRT made me move my boat even though I had been moored less than 2 weeks in the same spot.

Option 1: Sulk.

Grrr Rant Rant! Wasn't like this back in my day! Get off my lawn! Why don't they do more maintenance?

Option 2: Unpack.

At 10am yesterday I got a phone call from the lovely Stephanie at Wigan office.

She asked me politely if I would mind moving my boat from where it was because Land & Water are dredging along the Rufford Branch of the L&L, and they wanted to start the section where I was moored.

We went for option 2 :boat:

Although when we got to Tarleton there was a boat moored dumped on the swingbridge landing.  On the other side of the swingbridge there are hundreds of feet of visitor moorings, that only had two boats at one end! Grrr Rant Rant etc

Just now, Paul C said:

My experience is that they publish when and where work will be done in the stoppages and notices. And also they put signposts out locally. Did this not happen (maybe you didn't check the stoppages, in winter?)

Nothing at all on stoppages & restrictions.  There was a signboard at Chicken Lock a couple of weeks ago that said there may be a 30 minute delay while they are maneuvering boats. 

One of the dredger operators was talking to us and said they had only seen 3 boats moving since Christmas, including us.

I didn't find it at all unreasonable to shift the boat so they can dredge - I just wish they did it in more places!

28 minutes ago, pearley said:

We were asked to move in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago so they could moor their workboat near to the grassy bit they were cutting undergrowth back and planting shrubs. 

So they are removing undergrowth to plant.....err.....undergrowth?

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Let them get on with it, if its dredging it helps us all. If was coz they wanted the space for there own boat use tell them to jog on.

I quite agree. That's why we moved on quite happily. 

Having just come back past the spot we were moored at the time, they have good road access for heavy plant so that is where they are emptying the mud hoppers.

The tug drivers actually need to do a lock and two swingbridges to get from where the pump dredger is at the moment to where they are emptying the hoppers.

The hopper in the picture is tied up exactly where were were moored at the time.

20180307_140513.jpg.e0bbb35f34f0cb96653f36110ae69f05.jpg

Nice to see them doing some! They seam to be doing some round our way, tried a spot last year no chance, same spot this year was a little mud kicked up by prop but was able to get right into bank. Need 3 foot 2 inches at the bank at engine room to get right in. So atleast there dredging down deep to and remembering there are still deep boats about.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Just out of curiosity - what do CRT do with the sludge and stuff they pull out. Whats pictured looks like it would go stagnant pretty quickly.

Down the bottom of the Ashby a few years back they chucked it alongside the towpath with regular “Danger, soft mud” signs all along the stretch. Dunno what they usually do with it. I’d imagine it would be good stuff to spread on farmers’ fields. 

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Just out of curiosity - what do CRT do with the sludge and stuff they pull out. Whats pictured looks like it would go stagnant pretty quickly.

They sell it to the london facebook boaters for their composting toilets:D

They then keep it for a bit before chucking in a hedge or bin. 

Edited by rusty69

The stretch of the GU from the top of Soulbury three  to Leighton  lock used to be awful for depth, but on this trip it was much better, and I noticed the tell-tale newly planted gaps in the hedge, with a disturbed and muddy field behind. Looks like the dredgers have been along there then. Well done CRT.

MP.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’d imagine it would be good stuff to spread on farmers’ fields. 

This would be a handy way to do it I it could just be ploughed back in - minus the bikes or trollies!

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You are silly! :D

Just now, Tumshie said:

This would be a handy way to do it I it could just be ploughed back in - minus the bikes or trollies!

Depends on whether or not you want to grow a bike bush, surely?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

They dont keep it for long. It needs to be nice and wet still when put in the rubbish bins. We need someone to install a system of sewage disposal points around the system so people would not be forced into having to fit composting bogs. We could call them elsan or sommett?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The stretch of the GU from the top of Soulbury three  to Leighton  lock used to be awful for depth, but on this trip it was much better, and I noticed the tell-tale newly planted gaps in the hedge, with a disturbed and muddy field behind. Looks like the dredgers have been along there then. Well done CRT.

MP.

Yes there has been major dredging works here.

More importantly still, South of Leighton in the Grove Lock to Church Lock pound, (where just North of Church you could get grounded mid channel), and again from Church to Slapton.

(Personally I have never found Leighton to Three Locks anything like as bad).

My concern though is that much of the dredgings have been lost by "piling" the offside with those tanalised wooden stakes, and plastic mesh, and putting the sludge behind it.

Allegedly such "piling" should last 20 years, but there is evidence not that far from here of it starting to fail after only a quarter of that time.  I fear that within 10 years much of it will have collapsed, and much of that silt will be right back where it was removed from.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I will not be!

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I’d imagine it would be good stuff to spread on farmers’ fields. 

Good guess.  That is exactly what they are doing with it - it is very good soil, as is all of Tarleton Moss.  It gets fed through the big power screen to sift out all the lumpy bits, then is is spread out across the fields.

Obviously they could not do this with silt that has toxic waste in it, but this is a very rural stretch of canal so the farmers get it back.

You can see this in the picture in post #3.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Already posted picture in thread.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good guess.  That is exactly what they are doing with it - it is very good soil, as is all of Tarleton Moss.  It gets fed through the big power screen to sift out all the lumpy bits, then is is spread out across the fields.

Obviously they could not do this with silt that has toxic waste in it, but this is a very rural stretch of canal so the farmers get it back.

Just take out the obvious "lumps" then spread it like slurry? :D