Fiber Fix

BEngo

Featured Posts

Just been sent this by Toolstation.  Not tried it but it might be handy in the get out of trouble box alongside the duct tape, locking wire and string.  Doubt it would pass BSS on stoves or exhausts.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17590?table=no&sc_src=email_2317974&sc_lid=134523927&sc_uid=xekt5u0fCi&sc_llid=550441&sc_eh=a418d56c8bc725941&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-12-05+07%3A45%3A08-20171205FiberFix-Body-FiberfixHeatWrap

Usual disclaimer.

21 minutes ago, dor said:

Now who used to patch up their holey silencers with Gum-Gum?

I might have used Gun Gum to patch a dodgy flue during a very very cold winter about 7 years ago, but only might obviously because to actually do so would probably set off every carbon monoxide alarm for 20 miles

This stuff looks quite good. The MSDS sheet (material safety data sheet) says it is a mix of glass fibre and the chemistry a combination of a siloxane and an isocyanate (with a load of other chemical groups). The video says it is water cured (fits with the isocynate) and it cures quickly to a rock hard composite. One drawback is that it might not have a brilliant shelf life - ie after a year or two it might have reacted in the packet. I cant see any shelf life in the specs. Difficult to tell how tacky it is but the siloxane should make it sticky. No data on how clean a surface has to be to make it stick. If it works on wet surfaces, which it may well do, it could have a number of uses on a boat.

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

This stuff looks quite good. The MSDS sheet (material safety data sheet) says it is a mix of glass fibre and the chemistry a combination of a siloxane and an isocyanate (with a load of other chemical groups). The video says it is water cured (fits with the isocynate) and it cures quickly to a rock hard composite. One drawback is that it might not have a brilliant shelf life - ie after a year or two it might have reacted in the packet. I cant see any shelf life in the specs. Difficult to tell how tacky it is but the siloxane should make it sticky. No data on how clean a surface has to be to make it stick. If it works on wet surfaces, which it may well do, it could have a number of uses on a boat.

As I questioned above, isn’t this just exhaust bandage as sold by Halfords as well as proper motor factors for, well, ever?

45 minutes ago, WotEver said:

As I questioned above, isn’t this just exhaust bandage as sold by Halfords as well as proper motor factors for, well, ever?

Dunno, cant see an MSDS sheet for the Holts stuff but the pic on the front of the box looks the same. Years since I tried to fix an exhaust. I get a little man to fit a new one now.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Just found an MSDS for the Holts exhaust bandage and it is sodium silicate based so goes off with temperature and will not be sticky like this tool station one. I may not be looking at the right one however. I will do another search after the footy has finished. We are 3-0 up at half time.:)

48 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Dunno, cant see an MSDS sheet for the Holts stuff but the pic on the front of the box looks the same.

It appears that the Holts (Tetrosyl) exhaust paste is nasty-ish...

https://www.tetconnect.com/images/stories/virtuemart/documents/MEP251_SDS.pdf

But the bandage is opoxy resin...

https://www.tetconnect.com/images/stories/virtuemart/documents/MSB111_PIS.pdf

So no, they’re not the same :)

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I will do another search after the footy has finished. We are 3-0 up at half time.:)

Footy?

Oh yes, that game where 22 millionaires kick a pig’s bladder around for an hour and a half. 

Footy?

Oh yes, that game where 22 millionaires kick a pig’s bladder around for an hour and a half. 

....and kick it in the net 7 times.....Result

Footy?

Yes, not the same. The paste is sodium silicate based so is not very sticky and cures by heat to set like cement. The bandage is epoxy resin on glass cured by heat. The one in the original post looks very different being isocyanate/ siloxane so is moisture cured and may be much stickier when applied. The epoxy types may not stick to wet surfaces whereas there is a chance this one will. Worth a try to see what it is like. 

16 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Dunno, cant see an MSDS sheet for the Holts stuff but the pic on the front of the box looks the same. Years since I tried to fix an exhaust. I get a little man to fit a new one now.

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

I think we’re most of us the same these days. 

Those of us who drive diesels don't have exhaust systems that rot away from the inside.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Those of us who drive diesels don't have exhaust systems that rot away from the inside.

Ahh, that explains it :)

A few years ago I was passenger in a mate’s Cortina when we passed a garage with a big sign “Cortina exhaust. Full system. £32 fitted”. He stopped and jumped out to ask them how much for supply only. “But that’s an offer sir”. He explained that he understood that, so how much for supply only? “£47 sir”. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ahh, that explains it :)

A few years ago I was passenger in a mate’s Cortina when we passed a garage with a big sign “Cortina exhaust. Full system. £32 fitted”. He stopped and jumped out to ask them how much for supply only. “But that’s an offer sir”. He explained that he understood that, so how much for supply only? “£47 sir”. 

Fibber, a few years!!

55 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Fibber, a few years!!

We bought a new MkIV (IIRC) in 1985 ish which was again IIRC the last revision of the cortina. 30 years ago!!! Maybe it was even earlier than '85. My brain is not functioning to recall such distant events.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We bought a new MkIV (IIRC) in 1985 ish which was again IIRC the last revision of the cortina. 30 years ago!!! Maybe it was even earlier than '85. My brain is not functioning to recall such distant events.

I expect the whole car cost 47 quid back then!

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Had a mk2 GT then moved up to the luxury class, mk2 1600E, wooden dash and 88bhp! Heady stuff.  

Though I have to say it was, and still is, the best manual gearchange I've come across.