Curtain tie backs

haggis

Featured Posts

Kelpie has lovely dark blue curtains on the four front windows and they are held back by white rope tie backs. We need to get new tie backs but I am having difficulty sourcing them. Anyone any ideas where we could get new ones? The tie backs are made from nice soft white three strand rope about a quarter of an inch thick and about 12 inches long and it might be a good ides for us to get more than we need - perhaps a dozen.  Any ideas folks?

Thanks, haggis

Thanks folks. Tried to contact the lady who made the curtains and supplied the tie back and she is dead :-(. We don't have a Terrys here and I have looked at the Dunelm web site. Iain is good at making things with rope but they tend to be bigger - like fenders :-)

Any web sites I have found which do rope tie backs they tend to be much longer which is why I asked on here in the hope that someone will know of someone who makes them for boats. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Kelpie has lovely dark blue curtains on the four front windows and they are held back by white rope tie backs. We need to get new tie backs but I am having difficulty sourcing them. Anyone any ideas where we could get new ones? The tie backs are made from nice soft white three strand rope about a quarter of an inch thick and about 12 inches long and it might be a good ides for us to get more than we need - perhaps a dozen.  Any ideas folks?

Thanks, haggis

This forum is amazing as you will now find out. Wilko do a nice range of them I have bought more than once from them, and not expensive either.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Dunelm?

That was going to be my suggestion. They usually have a huge range, some of them very long like the OP requested. 

However... it's got to be more fun making your own. 

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This forum is amazing as you will now find out. Wilko do a nice range of them I have bought more than once from them, and not expensive either.

Yes, I know the forum is amazing and I will try Wilko tomorrow. There is one near here. Thank you!

Wotever, the problem with Dunelms etc is that their tie backs are too long :-)  They are just wee curtains !

haggis

'Did you try Amazon?  I did a five-second search for 'tiebacks' and thought this looked promising?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jute-Hessian-Rope-Tiebacks-Pair/dp/B00H5O9QT0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500398539&sr=8-4&keywords=tiebacks

Of course, de gustibus non disputandum est

or, in case our Greek scholar don't speak no latin 'à chacun son goût 

Edited by mross

Thanks MROSS but again they are far too long :-(. We need tie backs about a foot long and these are about 32 inches long! That's probably wider than the curtain! This is what I have found when I have Googled which I why I thought someone on here might know of someone who makes boat curtains and sells short tie backs. The number of times I have said "that's what we want" only to read how long they are! 

I am pinning my hopes on Wilco or someone on here coming up with the name of a boat curtain maker.

haggis

3 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Same principal though as fenders, just different rope.

Why not give it a go.

Actually, a lot simpler. The ones we've got are lengths of white cotton (I think) rope, about 8mm. I've fixed one by using one strand as the loop, and whipping it into place. (The originals have a fabric "collar" which is sewn on. ) For the next one, I intend to start with a bit of double sided sellotape under the whipping, to hold everything in place until it's secure. However, Haggis tells me I'd better scrub my paws before touching anther one .... :D