Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

Just now, lulu fish said:

The safety cert was done over a year ago. I would be wary that the recent refurb and electrics have been done since that. 

But not likely that any work would be done to reduce safety.

What worries me is that someone has bought a tatty old boat and slapped a bit of paint on to resell at a profit.

OR it could be in good condition, but owner knows little about boats, and has not bothered to find out.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Why would you presume the electrics have been redone? 

Perhaps because the description states "New electrics and consumer board,"?  :P

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Why?

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Why do you say that?  From my experience, boats with amateur fitouts quite often end up having other less obvious bodges onboard. Things like badly fitted electrics.

What worries me is that someone has bought a tatty old boat and slapped a bit of paint on to resell at a profit.

That is exactly what they did.

OR it could be in good condition, but owner knows little about boats, and has not bothered to find out.

Why would you want to buy a boat that has been worked on by someone that knows little about boats?

Edited by lulu fish
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Those house windows open outwards.  There's good reasons why narrowboat windows open inwards. 

Why, if it is sitting in a marina, not going through a tunnel..................... these things are used as houses not as boats.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Why, if it is sitting in a marina, not going through a tunnel..................... these things are used as houses not as boats.

I would agree. Double glazed opening windows seem like a good idea. Wish we had some 12 single glazed windows on ours, lots of condensation 

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Because other boats will be moving about close to yours, maybe even right up against it, even if you are in a marina.

As I said before, if house windows in boats was a good idea more boats would have them.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are SR3s 30hp? I thought probably more like 20 to 25 so exactly what engine has it got. Happy to be enlightened on the hp. if its no 30hp what else has been presented with a degree of spin?

Yes, that's why I said that it could be, not was, an SR3. I can't think of a 3 pot Lister which is rated at 30 h.p., but that one is close!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Don't get overwhelmed by all the advice you have been given in this thread, and don't assume it is all good advice and comes from knowledgeable sources. 

Quit right - but didn't you say something similar earlier in the thread? I don't think that Lady G needs reminding already.

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

In my view the important ting for a livaboard is internal space so as a semi-trad is only a cruiser stern with false "cabin" sides I think that as long as a trad allows easy, non-twisting and non-stooping access to the rear cabin the trad will give a foot or so of extra space.

To use the back of a semi-trad for wood or any other kind of storage that needs to be kept dry would I think require a cover unless it has full length sliding hatch over the deck area.

Once you make rear access difficult you are obliged to get on and off at the front and in view of what you have said about age etc. I would not, from personal experience, think that would be a sensible idea.

our semi trad has bench seats on both sides, one contains the battery bank and the other is the gas locker.

This means very easy access to both gas and batteries.

Phil ☺ 

On 5/17/2017 at 23:16, Athy said:

Will, thanks for your latest helpful advice. I notice that you have included a link to a security company. Although I'm sure it was not your intention, this could be interpreted as free advertising, which we don't allow here. We will welcome further practical posts from you, but it might be a good idea if you omit links to specific companies - especially as the one to which you link is in Canada, and most of us are far across the ocean in Great Britain!

I would definitely abide by the rules. I'm not part of any advertising company so that I would go for free advertising, rather my intention was just to extend my help. In future I would definitely bear in mind. I love contributing my little bit. Having said that, you are rest assured of many practical posts from my side in the future. Joy being a part of this forum Cheers!

Thanks

9 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Because other boats will be moving about close to yours, maybe even right up against it, even if you are in a marina.

As I said before, if house windows in boats was a good idea more boats would have them.

Bow thrusters would be a good idea, but few boats have them.

Other boats moving about?  they should not be close enough to hit windows, open or closed

Edited by LadyG

Unless you have a specific need through age or infirmity perhaps, bowthrusters are not a good idea, imho, particularly if you are on a limited budget. More opportunities for corrosion, and expense, and it brings an extra charging requirement. Not that I've ever had one. My opinion is coloured by my experience of the often incompetent driving of those I've met who have grown to be dependent on using them.

The general principle is that most boats are configured the way they are because that is best for the way most boats operate. Most boats move so most boats would have difficulty with any projections on the sides of the boat, from trees, ropes, other boats, etc. But difficulties can be coped with so some do have projecting windows. However it is still unsurprising that most have inward opening windows. 

An area where this principle operates less well is where new technology appears. It can take a while for the manufacturing side of boat building to adopt new stuff and I hope my  spray foam bilge catches on eventually but it will be years before any advantage is proved for it.

At any moment there are quite a few (my opinion) people experimenting with things on boats because they are not content with just accepting that whatever has gone before is necessarily the best way so the status quo is constantly being tested and retested, but mostly these fail as the perpetrators learn the why of how things are. All of which can be argued over, but the main lesson I suspect is to be on the alert when buying a boat for signs that the previous owner experimented and if so, what was the quality of those works and has heshe left any impending disasters behind?

56 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Other boats moving about?  they should not be close enough to hit windows, open or closed

That's a sweet theory. Wind, mistakes and inexperience unfortunately don't make it into reality. Have you seen the Tim & Pru series?

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

At any moment there are quite a few (my opinion) people experimenting with things on boats because they are not content with just accepting that whatever has gone before is necessarily the best way so the status quo is constantly being tested and retested, but mostly these fail as the perpetrators learn the why of how things are.

Quite so. Two things spring to mind:

Camel...horse...committee

and

Whitefield!