Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I stand corrected, but you have to realise with folks on the internet, half spout rubbish, that's not an exact half.................

They do and that was actually the point of my initial post. I have enjoyed this thread and your attitude toward your search and I wish you well. I do worry though that you may go running around in circles and never find a suitable boat!

JP

On 21/05/2017 at 18:23, LadyG said:

You have to remember that older boats used British Steel, modern boats use Chinese, so they need to be thicker.

Jeez you don't half believe some old tosh. Metallurgist too now are we?

People have been saying steel from 20 years ago is better than today's steel for the last 50 years. It sounds good in a pub after five pints, that's about it.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

UPDATE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192168545519?euid=ad92915308b34bd086d1b5c80514bfa3&bu=43105217050&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I agree with the pricing and apreciate comments on the engine,  however it was surveyed, and some mods made, but the hull was stated to be better than most modern boats. The survey is available.

I am not sure what you mean about 30hp under a cruiser deck?

I am not keen on a cruiser type, but that is something I can only decide after viewing a few.

The impressive thing about this one is the absolutely impeccable condition of the interior, suggesting that the boat has been carefully maintained. Its least impressive feature is its price.

Lister engines are generally well thought of regarding reliability and longevity.

On 21/05/2017 at 22:46, Dyertribe said:

It strikes me that if you are just going to argue with all and every piece of advice you receive in response to your posts it wont be long before those with experience and knowledge will cease to bother to reply. The boating equivalent of crying wolf really. 

Well said.

I was just about to write much the same but you put it more politely and eloquently than I would have.

LadyG is just wasting the forum's time in my opinion. She knows it all already. She is only posting here for sport, it look to me.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

The impressive thing about this one is the absolutely impeccable condition of the interior, suggesting that the boat has been carefully maintained.

I guess you missed the part of the description that read "a recent refit in antique oak faced ply with hard wood oak trim", Athy

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I guess you missed the part of the description that read "a recent refit in antique oak faced ply with hard wood oak trim", Athy

No, I did not. Regular maintenance helps keep the boat in impeccable condition, and that includes giving it a new kitchen when required. People do this in their houses, why not in their boats?

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Well, it's ply, that's faced in oak, that's antique.

Surely "antique" refers to the style of finish of the oak ply. I think it's also called "antiqued".

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I've just figured out whose style on here the OP reminds me of. Squabbling with everyone about everything.

The lovely Naughty Cal. 

She knows everything about everything too, doesn't she?

Just now, Athy said:

Surely "antique" refers to the finish of the oak ply. I think it's also called "antiqued".

Other than black due to years of grime ingrained into beeswax, what does antique oak look like?

On 21/05/2017 at 23:22, WotEver said:

Exactly.

Some more sceptical than me might even wonder if it actually IS Rachel having a laugh with the board!

Other than black due to years of grime ingrained into beeswax, what does antique oak look like?

It tends to have a patina of age. Some rather lovely narrowboats were fitted out in real antique oak a few years ago, if they had made a 45 foot one instead of only long ones I might have been in the market for one.

Or, as in this case, so does replacing everything. 

Yes, that is a definite plus point, as it should keep maintenance costs down for the foreseeable future. Without referring back to the advert, I think she has a complete set of new batteries, for example.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

And she knows everything about narrowboats despite never even having been on one...

Now, im not sure thats true. She has claimed to have piloted at least one, but wasn't able to get it to 20 knots in brayford pool. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And she knows everything about narrowboats despite never even having been on one...

I would suggest that the lady is trying her best to learn everything she can about narrowboats. This is a Good Thing, is it not? Let's be positive about her efforts.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

It tends to have a patina of age.

The same thing (darkening of the oak) can be achieved by fuming it with ammonia. The panels on the boat in question look like shiny new (pale) lacquered American Oak veneer in the photos. 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I would suggest that the lady is trying her best to learn everything she can about narrowboats. This is a Good Thing, is it not? Let's be positive about her efforts.

Its a bit like learning everything there is to know about cars by watching top gear:)