Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It even has a proper toilet ;)

I quite like that boat, especially at that price. 

I wonder why solar panels were fitted but not wired in...?

looks like they had a sudden change of mind/finance, they need to sell, yess, I did originally reject this boat due to the agent. I 'd need to get a financecheck [not that I know how to do that] to make sure the boat is debt free.

I think it will be snapped up before I can pay up :(

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

... yess, I did originally reject this boat due to the agent.

I don't think that need make you dismiss the boat out of hand, merely to be wide awake when dealing with the broker. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I don't think that need make you dismiss the boat out of hand, merely to be wide awake when dealing with the broker. 

I know, but at that time I was finding my feet in the boat market, so felt I needed to go for a well respected broker, but they only seem to have bigger boats at the moment.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, haggis said:

From a fairly quick look, the second one appeals to me more and it looks more suitable for living on - washing machine etc. The first

one, I reckon the beds would get wet and these front seats would probably be most uncomfortable to sit on as the seat and back are at right angles.  Shared a boat with seats like that for many years and I used to take a folding chair to sit on

haggis

On the other hand, the first boat has oodles of character, whereas the second is just a bland clonecraft - they haven't even given a photo of the bows.

That said, the engine between the back bunks could be a bit of a pain, although it is more accessible there than in some trads without a separate engine room.

Joanme has domestic microwave, washer/dryer machine and fridge freezer, but only 3 domestic batteries and no mention of an invertor. So it looks like it will have to stay in a marina on hookup for those to be usable. 

I see the first one has now sold, so the choice is a bit academic!

On 17/05/2017 at 08:59, Athy said:

But on some canals the waterway narrows to single-track under bridges, so I still "don't quite see".

I am not sure to what you are leaving us, your explanation was interesting but is not yet, as far as I can discern, complete.

I apologize if this has already been clearly explained as I have only managed to get so far on this thread.

Forget about bridge holes (even though what Alan said is correct), think of it this way...

You are traveling down a canal, there's another boat coming toward you, the canal is quite narrow with low hanging trees on both sides; both boats need to manouver as far as possible to their right hand sides (starboard) to ensure there is enough room to pass each other safely. One boat has their chimney on the left (port) the other has theirs on the right (starboard)...who do you think will loose their chimney & cap to the low hanging trees?

Same principle applies to two boats going through a bridge hole at the same time.

Chimneys on the left are a Much better design.  I only wish I had had that knowledge before we bought our boat (chimney is on the starboard side!!):wacko:

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

I see the first one has now sold, so the choice is a bit academic!

Actually the auction ended with no sale so it's (probably) still available. 

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

with trepidation, i return:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44ft-Trad-Stern-Narrowboat-/232321958113?  its  44ft, 1985 built by Braunston Canal Services £29950

Jeez, look at this engine. A perfect example of what I said above. Almost impossible access to even change the oil filter!

s-l1600.jpg

And I doubt that box lifts off. It appears to be fabricated from steel and has the stern gland greaser bolted onto it.

I m not sure where the filter is, my Yanmar had a small magnetic / rotating  affair, which was really half the diameter of a standard oil filter. If the engine box is inside the cabin [forming a step],  why is it so small?

The proof of the pudding is !!!!     ........... it looks like the original engine, but I may be wrong.

i'm not so swayed by the thoughts of Monday, washday, as by the fact that the marina electrics are available  so one hopes they are compliant. 

looks as though they bought a 600mm depth machine, when a 500mm would have fitted in  better.

I hope to visit asap , needless to say it is hard to reach from my domicile.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I m not sure where the filter is, my Yanmar had a small magnetic / rotating  affair, which was really half the diameter of a standard oil filter.

The proof of the pudding is !!!!     ........... it looks like the original engine.

i'm not so swayed by the thoughts of Monday, washday, as by the fact that the marina electrics are available  so one hopes they are compliant. 

looksvas though they bought a 600mm depth machine, when a 500mm would have fitted in  better.

I have a yanmar that has no oil filter. 

Not sure the washing machine is as relevant as whether you have the money to buy the boat. 

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I m not sure where the filter is...

It's a Beta 43. The oil filter is low down on the engine's right hand side - just like a car engine. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

I have a yanmar that has no oil filter. 

NNot sure the washing machine is as relevant as whether you have the money to buy the boat. 

I am getting closer to the end of the rainbow as we speak.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

It's a Beta 43. The oil filter is low down on the engine's right hand side - just like a car engine. 

And my money is on it never having been changed since the engine was fitted.

Possibly the reason the boat is for sale!

On 2017-5-11 at 16:33, mrsmelly said:

Hi Ladygardener

Several things spring to mind the main one is do you REALY want to live on a boat? if you do then worry not. There will be many who read this and draw a sharp intake of breath through their teeth but they are the kind who worry about all such matters. I have no house and do I regret selling it? not on your nellie there is more than one way to live and a house with all its drawbacks and benefits is only one way. If you become too ill to live on a boat then you would be too ill to live in a house. You are already showing promise as a boater as you are right in assuming its not cheaper as it isnt. The cat will bloomin love it as did ours and all our dogs. It is quite feasable to move out the flat with your stuff in storage ( bin most of it ) and buy and move onto a boat within the next week. I moved from my last boat on a monday and into this one after having bought it and moving fully on on the friday three days after first seeing it. You will now get plenty of worriers giving you advice but you will have to sift through it yourself. We moved onto our first boat in 89 and its been a ball.

Hi, sorry for not responding earlier, but I was giving your post much consideration :) 

Its not that I have any great desire to live in a narrowboat per se, its the freedom of lifestyle choices and travel, and even adventure [not many adventures available to me nowadays], there are so many great places I can't visit as I am stuck in Scotland. 

I have lived on a boat, though it was summer, and it was while I was pretty much between houses, so not permanent, but it was often on a mooring, so a bit tough at times. I am not too worried about the marine/boaty side of things, I know my technical limitations.

I think that security is one factor that I am concerned about, being alone at night and hearing noises outside in winter, not so bothered in summer. I think I might have to have strong canvas covers just to prevent impulse boarding as well as improving heat retention, and extra storage, but I seem to be imagining the cosy fireside scenario very easily.

I am not sure how you manage about GP services, but I am sure I will just cope, obviously unexpected illness is tricky, but for someone who lives alone, that can also be difficult

How much should I budget for coal in winter, assuming a good stove, some wood foraging,  and minimal use of gas heating if that is the supplementary heating. I assume cooking only gas would be about £100 per annum, but the coal costs seem to vary widely for folks who have similar systems, ie SF  + another. Some reckon on 10kg coal per day, which is about £5.00 a day for say ten weeks of the year, and maybe half that for twenty weeks, so, annual cost of coal at £5. 00 for 10kg would be  £350+£350, the total bill would be in the same ballpark as my current household bill.

Edited by LadyG

Did you see this one on ebay. -might tick all your boxes

Traditional-Colecraft-Narrow-boat-Lister-FR2-Liveaboard-Central-Heating-/162534979112?hash=item25d7d6f628%3Ag%3AFPoAAOSw9OFZLdZd&_trkparms=pageci%253A5d4f3f7b-4ab5-11e7-9eae-74dbd180d7fb%257Cparentrq%253A7d6bf9a215c0ab4ccd99b9d5fff723c3%257Ciid

33 minutes ago, Bod32 said:

Traditional-Colecraft-Narrow-boat-Lister-FR2-Liveaboard-Central-Heating-/162534979112?hash=item25d7d6f628%3Ag%3AFPoAAOSw9OFZLdZd&_trkparms=pageci%253A5d4f3f7b-4ab5-11e7-9eae-74dbd180d7fb%257Cparentrq%253A7d6bf9a215c0ab4ccd99b9d5fff723c3%257Ciid

yes, I 'vve kept coming back to it, I just don't like it, too olde worlde, ty

39 minutes ago, Bod32 said:

Ooo it's got an FR2. Delightful!

On 2017-5-12 at 13:37, Tony Brooks said:

Please give this lots of thought. At least with a flat you have a Local Authority who more or less are obliged to take some care of you. I bet if you are living on a boat in a way that means that you do not pay council tax it would be very difficult to access the small amount of help a Local Authority will give.

Still if you think that you will remain active and with good health and strength until almost the last  then go for it but please give it lost of thought.

I have given it a  lot of  thought. The alternative to selling up is to stay in a place which I do not like, and it is getting worse,, almost unbelievbly prices of flats here are dropping every year.

A boat will not depreciate over the course of a year or two, so if I cant cope, I can sell and will be not much worse off, but at least I will have had an adventure, rather than just sitting about waiting for Godo. Sitting in the house waiting for my carer coming to put me to bed at 8.00pm, is not something I wish to dwell on.

I am de cluttering, twenty years worth, its hell.

Edited by LadyG

Black Country were a modest but blameless builder as far as I know; they had a quite long life span although I don't think that they still exist. This would have been a budget boat and it shows in the honest but plain fit-out, but it's all there (except the seating shown in the lounge in the plan, which according to the photos is not there in real life). The interior looks like a corridor but some personal touches could alleviate that impression.

Fairly recent blacking and anodes, fairly long safety cert., fairly optimistic price.

As long as the description is accurate at least it has a Yanmar engine. If it turned out to be a Barrus Shanks that is totally different. Take care that broker is, shall we say, not so well thought of on here but some find them OK.

If its at their main base lots of other boats to look at while you are there.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Black Country were a modest but blameless builder as far as I know; they had a quite long life span although I don't think that they still exist. This would have been a budget boat and it shows in the honest but plain fit-out, but it's all there (except the seating shown in the lounge in the plan, which according to the photos is not there in real life). The interior looks like a corridor but some personal touches could alleviate that impression.

Fairly recent blacking and anodes, fairly long safety cert., fairly optimistic price.

I thought the price was quite reasonable [assuming at least 10% for over optimism]

I have asked if its a private sale. and if it has been used for hire, just to start the communication on the right footing

I dont mind the woodwork too much, it looks clean, though why everyone thinks its ok to put down laminate flooring, I can never work out. 

The marina must have special cameras designed to remove any detail, so a visit is needed, obviously.

It does have that horrid "date box" hull, and I have seen boats which appeal more , they were snapped up.

The more i look, the less I like it, 

Something with nice lines is needed., ah well.....

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I thought the price was quite reasonable [assuming at least 10% for over optimism]

Now there's logic for you!

11-year old budget boat, serviceable but plain, would probably have cost £40,000 new at that time...yes, a good 10% over price I'd think.

40 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

That looks like quite a nice serviceable boat, it's clean with 2 heating systems. You could do a lot worse.

yes, logic said yes. heart says no, and that's got to be the end of it, there are two or three come up every month that have charm, are well built, I need them to look smart outside and in.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As long as the description is accurate at least it has a Yanmar engine. If it turned out to be a Barrus Shanks that is totally different. Take care that broker is, shall we say, not so well thought of on here but some find them OK.

If its at their main base lots of other boats to look at while you are there.

I might look, but at the moment most of their smaller boats are really rubbish.

Edited by LadyG