Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

On 2017-5-11 at 16:27, rusty69 said:

All Valid worries, i think i would have the same. 

You could hire first if funds allow. 

ty, but its not living on a boat that bothers me, not at all, that is the easiect bit.

• 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Go and have a look at it in real life, then come back and ask some specific questions.

People here are growing weary of analysing boats for sale you never had any real interest in.

You don't have to respond to my queries [of which there have been very few on specific boats for sale].

There are 600 or so nb s on Appollo Duck, but at this moment in time, I am interested in this one, which has certain unique features, not encountered before, traps for the unwary perhaps.

Specifically : is the broker sober, truthfull and honest?

Specifically: is the builder reputable.

Specifically: is it big enough for one liveaboard.

I would add solar, upgrade the bathroom, the floor covering and the bedroom, budget £2K to £2.5K

I have sent an emissary.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK,

a bit of a major setback domestically, but getting back on track,

anyone have any comment on this one, ty

http://www.apolloduck.com/image.phtml?id=529806&ximage=387394

A hull thickness survey is available

A capsule comment: attractive woodwork, well fitted out, stove rather close to front steps (which however appear to be movable), 'orrible but admittedly useful pram hood.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

A capsule comment: attractive woodwork, well fitted out, stove rather close to front steps (which however appear to be movable), 'orrible but admittedly useful pram hood.

ty, yes, yet to see an attractive pram hood, but they seem very popular!

It s a squirrel, so could possibly add a radiator, it would be OK for my first winter, I think. Could stay a marina for three months while upgrades are completed.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You don't have to respond to my queries [of which there have been very few].

There are 600 or so nb s on Appollo Duck, but at this moment in time, I am interested in this one, which has certain unique features, not encountered before, traps for the unwary perhaps.

Specifically : is the broker sober, truthfull and honest?

Specifically: is the builder reputable.

Specifically: is it big enough for one liveaboard.

I would add solar, upgrade the bathroom, the floor covering and the bedroom, budget £2K to £2.5K

I have sent an emissary.

Go and have a look and make your own mind up.

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Go and have a look and make your own mind up.

I  will do, if preliminary queries are positive, as it ticks a lot of boxes particularly a good original fitout.

Unfortunately it is very difficult for me to view many boats, and horror on horror, with some boats I would just have it surveyed without viewing, I don't expect this will occur, but it is possible I may have to, as most of the boats which are really super are sold subject to survey within a few days, or hours.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Don't under estimate the costs.

When  purchased our last NB, flicking thru the 6" heap of receipts for work done we found an invoice for "Pumpout tank removal, replace flooring and refurbish bathroom" Cost £11000 for parts and labour (labour hours at £50/hour + VAT, and all parts were listed)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When  purchased our last NB, flicking thru the 6" heap of receipts for work done we found an invoice for "Pumpout tank removal, replace flooring and refurbish bathroom" Cost £11000 for parts and labour (labour hours at £50/hour + VAT, and all parts were listed)

omg, that's horrific, and is one reason why I'd be prepared to pay for an upgraded boat, rather than one which seems to have a slightly sad interior. 

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yep, one good big reason for buying one which has been upgraded with quality fittings.

Edited by LadyG
sry, duplicate

I would be wary of an existing survey, other than as a snapshot of condition at that moment in time. 

Once you have decided on a particulsr bost i strongly recommend thst you always have your own survey undertaken.  Hulls can suffer signicant corrosion/erosion in a remarkably short space of time it the "right" conditions are present.

As a long time liveaboard myself, my next enquiry would be about insulation; information which is often omitted from classifieds. In my opinion, the professionally applied spray foam type is second to none because unlike sheet and blanket materials, moisture is prevented from condensing on the steel behind. I have a boat owning friend who pumps many litres of condensate out of his bilge during the Winter, unlike on my boat which has been spray foamed and is totally dry. The value of efficient insulation can't be overstated for living on a boat in the Winter. 

4 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

As a long time liveaboard myself, my next enquiry would be about insulation; information which is often omitted from classifieds. In my opinion, the professionally applied spray foam type is second to none because unlike sheet and blanket materials, moisture is prevented from condensing on the steel behind. I have a boat owning friend who pumps many litres of condensate out of his bilge during the Winter, unlike on my boat which has been spray foamed and is totally dry. The value of efficient insulation can't be overstated for living on a boat in the Winter. 

My boat has rockwool and I never get a drop of condensation in the bilges. 

Your mate is far more likely to have a window or plumbing leak.

From a fairly quick look, the seats in the lounge area are the most uncomfortable things to sit on for any length of time.  We had a share in a boat with that type of seat for many years and I took down a folding chair to sit on . 

haggis

Edited by haggis

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Go and have a look at it in real life, then come back and ask some specific questions.

People here are growing weary of analysing boats for sale you never had any real interest in.

I have sent an emisarry

UPDATE

the boat is sold, less than 12 hours after listing on A.Duck

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

From a fairly quick look, the seats in the lounge area are the most uncomfortable things to sit on for any length of time.  We had a share in a boat with that type of seat for many years and I took down a folding chair to sit on . 

haggis

Yes, I d have to convert to open saloon, I prefer a solid wood floor and small leather wing chairs, just saying............ 

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have sent an emisarry

UPDATE

the boat is sold, less than 12 hours after listing on A.Duck

In todays boat buying environment - "snooze and you loose"

The days when you were given the advice "offer 30% below the buying price an they will snap your hand off" are long gone.

If you do actually want to buy a boat, rather than just talk about it, you need to get off your bum and do something about it.