A check list for would be boaters?

haggis

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'Miss Max' thread (with the last couple of posts deleted) could be far more informative for potential new boat owners.

Don't 'get me wrong' - I completely agree with the concept of a pinned informative thread / summary, but it needs to be constructed to be factual, informative and 'readable' to be of any use.

Examples of 'doing it right'

Examples of what not to do (Miss Max)

Examples of buying a cheap project boat and the costs & time incurred to get it liveable

Examples of what to look for when viewing boats

What is needed (apart from a boat) Licence, BSS (MOT), insurance and a mooring - or explanations of the implications of not having a mooring.

Examples of typical costs.

Awareness of the regular 'duties' of boat ownership (carrying gas bottles & coal, emptying toilets, moving to get water, maintenance, etc etc)

I am not sure how detailed the list should be. I see it more as pointers form which readers can do their own research , perhaps by asking questions on here about any aspect that concerns them. The list could contain info about buying boats (to survey or not for example) but I think this is such a big topic that it should perhaps be dealt with separately.  Just my thoughts. At the end of the day, it will be up to Daniel if the forum is going to include such pinned posts and it would be interesting to hear his views.

Haggis

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment Haggis: check out the wink ;)

Clearly, I don't think we should not help others to avoid pitfalls or get the best from their boat/boating.

Sorry, missed the smiley :-) 

haggis

I am drawn to the conclusion that folks don't bother to do research first, nor even have a quick look through likely threads - but just jump in.

I suspect it's due to people browsing on mobile phones / small tablets where its tedious to page through threads.

Comments??

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

I am drawn to the conclusion that folks don't bother to do research first, nor even have a quick look through likely threads - but just jump in.

I suspect it's due to people browsing on mobile phones / small tablets where its tedious to page through threads.

Comments??

I think a lot do as you say and nothing we can do will stop that! However, it would be nice to give some help to those who actually look for more info.  I think there are enough of that sort of post on here to show that there is a need.

haggis

Just now, haggis said:

I think a lot do as you say and nothing we can do will stop that! However, it would be nice to give some help to those who actually look for more info.  I think there are enough of that sort of post on here to show that there is a need.

haggis

Oh yes, I do agree - just thought I'd drop a wobbly in...

My hat off to -whoever- is going to do the work, it's no contest that any (sensible) contribution would be of great value.

The problem is that people react in different ways to advice. Some, like my brother-in-law, see it as being told what to do and put their fingers in their ears. A lot of people also won't notice "pinned threads". They've come on here to ask a question, and ask it they will, no matter what.

The two example threads being quoted show two very different ends. Starcoaster did what everyone told her not to do, and seems to have made it work very successfully. MissMax did what everyone told her not to do...it doesn't seem to have ended well.

At one time we were seriously thinking about buying a boat to live on. I didn't ask questions on here, I simply read every thread as it came up, whether it seemed relevant or not. I also chatted to boaters I met whilst dog walking along the canal, again not asking questions, just general conversation. We also volunteered, through this forum, to help out with locks. We very soon realised that boat owning was not for us - in fact, boating is not for us, though we still love walking along the canal, and very much love meeting up with friends who do have boats.

Just my opinion :)

• Greenie 2

can I suggest that CWDF should sponsor (not financially) and publicise a pdf booklet containing all the real world advice that has been provided on this forum.

all it needs is a willing scribe to search the forum, and find and incorporate all the advice that has been given (and received with general agreement by others) over the years.  Any volunteers?  Could be done by several respected individuals, each assembling a separate pdf chapter dealing with separate issues, including buying, various equipment and maintenance matters, mooring, licensing, etc.  

21 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

can I suggest that CWDF should sponsor (not financially) and publicise a pdf booklet containing all the real world advice that has been provided on this forum.

all it needs is a willing scribe to search the forum, and find and incorporate all the advice that has been given (and received with general agreement by others) over the years.  Any volunteers?  Could be done by several respected individuals, each assembling a separate pdf chapter dealing with separate issues, including buying, various equipment and maintenance matters, mooring, licensing, etc.  

Good idea but a lot of work to create such an item. What I have in mind is along the lines of what I started this thread off with - not much longer  longer! Just pointers for folk to consider then they can do more research if they wish. 

haggis

50 minutes ago, haggis said:

Good idea but a lot of work to create such an item. What I have in mind is along the lines of what I started this thread off with - not much longer  longer! Just pointers for folk to consider then they can do more research if they wish. 

haggis

And then they'll start a thread asking the question they came on here to ask in the first place.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

How is that different from a wiki (apart from being less useable)?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So one 'expert' takes his life into his hands and writes 'how to manage your batteries' article - other 'experts' then argue that what was said is 'all wrong' and it should say ...................

But - of course that would never happen would it -  ???????

Surely that is the whole basis of wiki articles. They are open to peer review and editing. I don't believe I have ever seen two members on here arguing about facts, only opinions. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Surely that is the whole basis of wiki articles. They are open to peer review and editing. I don't believe I have ever seen two members on here arguing about facts, only opinions. 

Is that a fact? :D

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I recall 'opinions' getting very heated and folks being told, (not very politely !!) 'you are just wrong'.

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I don't know about that, ignorance of the "facts" has never stopped members of this forum arguing with each other, even, or especially, if they are both wrong.

As an 'outsider' to this forum - and a new member just getting into canals - I find looking at a lot of the pinned posts a bit out of date. We have done extensive searches on specific topics far more useful than the pinned posts as they are more recent - and it is entertaining to see the relentless banter on 'non pinned' posts. For instance I am now looking to find the best deal on mega gigs download for 4g - and all the pinned posts are a bit out of date.

I mean, if we had pinned posts on everything, where would the humour be?

Did I mention I was trying to find the best 4G deal?

20 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

As an 'outsider' to this forum - and a new member just getting into canals - I find looking at a lot of the pinned posts a bit out of date. We have done extensive searches on specific topics far more useful than the pinned posts as they are more recent - and it is entertaining to see the relentless banter on 'non pinned' posts. For instance I am now looking to find the best deal on mega gigs download for 4g - and all the pinned posts are a bit out of date.

I mean, if we had pinned posts on everything, where would the humour be?

Did I mention I was trying to find the best 4G deal?

Watch out for the EE deal 32GB for£15/month.Comes up occasionally. 

Or

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html?source=Webgains

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Greens for a brilliant post.

Are you Starry's sister?

or Miss Max displaying a rare moment of pragmatism and summarising why boating is over-rated ......................  B) 

Edited by Murflynn