Engine Oil Change Pump not working

Featured Posts

It usual on a modern Japanese industrial engines such as Kubota to change the oil after the first 50 hours use and thereafter after every subsequent 250 hours.

In the first 50 hours a lot of debris is deposited in the oil as the engine beds in. It is the equivalent of changing the oil in a new car after 500-1000 miles as it "runs in".

On 10/03/2017 at 10:42, Johny London said:

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was thinking - if the engine has been idling (out of gear), does that count as wear time on the gearbox, as far as changing the oil every 200 hrs along with the engine? Only my gear box oil was as clean as a whistle and it set me a thinking, as I've not been cruising much lately...

My Beta 43 manual states the gearbox oil should be changed every 750 hours.  The engine oil change occurs every 250 hours.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

So if you do 1000 hours a year you can just choose 'yearly' ;)

Yes you can :D Its your boat and you make the rules. I think there was another thread a couple of days ago were somebody bought a high hours boat where the owner had indeed elected to change the oil once a year.

We  actually do 1000 to 1200 hours every year and changing the oil every other month is a bit tedious. I once owned a mini that used so much oil I never changed it, just kept topping it up.

............Dave

The attached shows how modern truck engines are able to achieve oil change intervals of 50,000 miles. Makes you wonder why diesel cars need oil changes every 10,000 miles, although I suppose trucks spend a greater percentage of their time running and at high load on motorways.

http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/29117/oil-change-intervals

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had an old Norton like that, just put a tray underneath it at night and used it to re-fill the next morning (+ an extra bit now and again)

After a few years it all went a bit wrong as with the gearbox-in-the-sump design and the build up of sludge the gear selection got harder and harder till I cracked and changed the oil.

............Dave

4 hours ago, Pete of Ebor said:

Just curoius... 50 hours ? Do you really need to change the oil after every 50 hours cruising ? I only ask because we can usually do 50 hours cruising in one week on a hireboat, and I can't imagine any hireco changing the oil in the entire fleet every week...

It was the 1st. service to get rid of any muck from manufacturing processes.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

The attached shows how modern truck engines are able to achieve oil change intervals of 50,000 miles. Makes you wonder why diesel cars need oil changes every 10,000 miles, although I suppose trucks spend a greater percentage of their time running and at high load on motorways.

http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/29117/oil-change-intervals

My (diesel) Volvo's oil change interval is 18,000 miles. The oil is 0-30 and seems thinner than sewing machine oil :blink:

As the hydraulic pump in the PRM 150 is always pumping oil when the engine is running and also some gears are revolving engaged, then 'yes', count gearbox out of gear (idling) as running time. This box is often working hard at slightly elevated temperatures so regular oil changes are important.

Check for oil leaks on the forward/reverse actuating lever spindle, this is only a small O ring ( BS 012 I think) and seems to be the 1st thing to wear out. Suggest that this is changed every few years before leakage starts. This is a weak part of the design as they have used this O ring as a rotary seal so it will inevitably fail.

• Greenie 1