Coffee machine won't run on new boat

Amber34

Featured Posts

Surely the point is if people recycle all their aluminium packaging they will automatically recycle the Nespresso. If they aren't recycling their aluminium from other sources then they wont recycle the Nespresso.

So IMO it isn't a Nespresso problem but a general recycling consideration.

Not necessarily because the Nespresso capsules are left full of spent coffee grounds and have to be collected up in Nespresso's own recycling bags to be sent to Crewe (or some similar glorious place). They can't be put into general recycling for collection by the council. Hence I suspect the recycling rate is lower than for say drink cans.

JP

The convenience of the capsule system does explain their success, and this is understandable and all part of how people like to live now.

On the other hand, just using a cafetière, filter system or espresso machine makes a great cup of coffee (as far as I am concerned).

The only gripe as far as I can see with the capsule system is the amount of packaging and "added value" otherwise known as profit, that is inherent in the process, along with the waste that seems unavoidable. Personally I will not buy in to the capsule system. Probably because of my age, I dislike paying through the nose for convenience.

Yes and I find they make a small cup of Luke warm coffee... Very hard to get really hot drinks out of them despite lots of friends and family telling me how good they are and showing them off on every visit...

Don't see what's wrong with a French press (cafetière ) personally... But each to their own.

Not necessarily because the Nespresso capsules are left full of spent coffee grounds and have to be collected up in Nespresso's own recycling bags to be sent to Crewe (or some similar glorious place). They can't be put into general recycling for collection by the council. Hence I suspect the recycling rate is lower than for say drink cans.

JP

I go through phases of drinking "proper coffee", so I would open a packet of coffee, have a few cups over a couple of days, then the coffee would go off before my next bout.

The concomitant being that I would spend 2 or 3 quid on 4 or 5 cups of coffee, and most of the packet would be wasted.

Thus, the way I drink proper coffee, the Nespresso way is actually cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

I go through phases of drinking "proper coffee", so I would open a packet of coffee, have a few cups over a couple of days, then the coffee would go off before my next bout.

The concomitant being that I would spend 2 or 3 quid on 4 or 5 cups of coffee, and most of the packet would be wasted.

Thus, the way I drink proper coffee, the Nespresso way is actually cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

That's a good point about capsules when you only drink small volumes. I drink one or two cups a day for four or five weeks and a few weekends on the boat in a year. So generally there is an unsealed pack of coffee slowly oxidising between trips. The new machine will mean fresh every time.

I don't heavily factor cost or environment into my boating decisions. If I did I would never have bought a boat in the first place.

JP

JP

If recycling is stopping people, then they should check out what a chap called Maxwell colanna smalls is up to, he is very big in the world of speciality coffee, he has released capsules that contain speciality grade roasted beans, meaning they have scored highly when being graded and roasted correctly, unlike the crap that nespresso pump out.

He is also trialing fully recyclable capsules and releasing some next month.

https://colonnacoffee.com/

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you've all been in the edge of your seats awaiting an update to my coffee machine/quasi sine wave inverter woes. 

Apologies for maintaining the suspense levels, but you'll be delighted to hear we now have a machine that works on our boat and my caffeine levels have been restored. 

I followed Dave Payne's suggestion of buying a cheaper and therefore potentially less complex machine. £35 quid in the sale in Aldi and I have a reliable source of good strong coffee, morning, noon and night, even without the engine running. 

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions, very much appreciated :)

On 17/02/2017 at 12:41, Dave Payne said:

If recycling is stopping people, then they should check out what a chap called Maxwell colanna smalls is up to, he is very big in the world of speciality coffee, he has released capsules that contain speciality grade roasted beans, meaning they have scored highly when being graded and roasted correctly, unlike the crap that nespresso pump out.

He is also trialing fully recyclable capsules and releasing some next month.

https://colonnacoffee.com/

Ordered amix of 40 capsules - we'll see how they taste :) 

I wish I'd found this thread yesterday. My other half has just bought me a £100 Nespreso coffee machine for my birthday. I've spent the last hour setting it up on the boat, running a new cable from the cabin to the engine room etc, and now it won't work. Powers up but then just does nothing. I assume i have tbe same problem as the OP?

4 minutes ago, junior said:

I wish I'd found this thread yesterday. My other half has just bought me a £100 Nespreso coffee machine for my birthday. I've spent the last hour setting it up on the boat, running a new cable from the cabin to the engine room etc, and now it won't work. Powers up but then just does nothing. I assume i have tbe same problem as the OP?

Nescafe etc about 4 quid a jar, just add hot water, job done.

• Greenie 1

On 19/03/2017 at 17:48, Machpoint005 said:

But preferably avoid ALL Nestle products on account of their utterly reprehensible policy of pushing infant formula to mothers in less developed countries. 

(but that's not only my opinion)

What on earth does "pushing infant formula" mean? Surely mothers already know the formula for creating an infant. It doesn't need pushing on them. 

Please explain.

On 18/03/2017 at 22:37, Amber34 said:

I'm sure you've all been in the edge of your seats awaiting an update to my coffee machine/quasi sine wave inverter woes. 

Apologies for maintaining the suspense levels, but you'll be delighted to hear we now have a machine that works on our boat and my caffeine levels have been restored. 

I followed Dave Payne's suggestion of buying a cheaper and therefore potentially less complex machine. £35 quid in the sale in Aldi and I have a reliable source of good strong coffee, morning, noon and night, even without the engine running. 

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions, very much appreciated :)

Excellent news, and thanks for the feedback.

P.S. got your PM thanks, great that the bike was a success!!! 

• Greenie 1

On 19/03/2017 at 21:23, mrsmelly said:

The macdonalds adds says it all about the con of coffee nonsense.

Its people whose taste buds can't tell the difference between passable coffee and good coffee (or any other type of foodstuff you care to mention) who ensure the likes of Aldi and Lidl succeed, whilst at the same time Waitrose continue to profitably supply those whose can!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its people whose taste buds can't tell the difference between passable coffee and good coffee (or any other type of foodstuff you care to mention) who ensure the likes of Aldi and Lidl succeed, whilst at the same time Waitrose continue to profitably supply those whose can!

Coffee snobbery! Whatever next?

3 hours ago, junior said:

That sounds just like mine. 

I took one back (Curry's) and got a full refund after telling them Nespresso had declared it faulty. The other (cheap one) went to the OH's site office. 

Aldi have them in stock again, 50 quid each. They'll be reduced in a few weeks though :) I'm pretty happy with the Aldi machine - it leaks far less than my home machine :)

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excellent news, and thanks for the feedback.

P.S. got your PM thanks, great that the bike was a success!!! 

Bike has had a few miles put on it this weekend and performed well (better on the roads than tow path) and now hidden away on the boat ready for it's next adventure :)

I was watching a documentary on coffee recently and a supplier of beans said "People's tastes are changing and they're wanting a more bitter bean than in years past". Yes they are, because they've been conned by the likes of Starbucks into believing that bitter coffee is 'proper' coffee. Take a trip to Italy where coffee has long been the national drink and try a cup over there where they've not been brainwashed by tax-dodging American conglomerates and you'll see what real quality coffee tastes like. 

I don't think I've ever been in a Starbucks but I can still tell the difference between instant coffee and filter coffee. 

And between pretty much every grind of filter I've ever tried. Does that make me a slave to tax dodging american conglomerates?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think I've ever been in a Starbucks but I can still tell the difference between instant coffee and filter coffee. 

So can anyone with taste buds. What has that got to do with Aldi and Waitrose?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I explained all that in post 15, page 5.

Sorry, if you can't be bothered to link to the post I certainly can't be bothered to search for it :P

• Greenie 1