Congleton

Mark2563

Featured Posts

Moved

And to add my tuppence worth, from Congleton head towards Whaley Bridge and turn round when you are half way through your holiday, depending on how leisurely you want to be you might get all the way to Whaley Bridge, or turn at Marple, or possibly as early as Macclesfield

I assume you are starting at Heritage Narrowboats, if you go the other way then within about an hour you are at Hardings Wood Junction, where you have a choice of the Cheshire Locks or Harecastle Tunnel. You could go through the tunnel and aim for Stone, a very pleasant cruise, but unless you are a lock enthusiast don't start down the Cheshire Locks, there are 31 locks down to Middlewich, about 12 miles distant, and you'd just about get there before it was time to turn round and come back up all 31 again!

Bugsworth and back.

Or even Marple Junction and back giving more time to enjoy the trip.

Makes sense to me. Head that way and see how far you've got at half time. The Macc and Peak Forest are, from memory, that bit more scenic than the T&M.

As someone who always hired to see a lot of canal I wouldn't think twice about either Bugsworth or Froghall from Scholar Green for a midweek hire. I would also include the Anderton lift as a possible destination but of course not everyone wants to boat in that manner so it really depends on what sort of holiday the OP wishes for and what the capability of the crew is.

It seems possible to venture to the far end of the Caldon. I suspect planning the first and last nights around Harecastle Tunnel needs some thought but I guess it's common practice for folk hiring from here and the folk at the hire base will advise. A tunnel always adds to the excitement and Harecastle is fairly unique.

Would agree the T&M is interesting but not 'scenic' in the same way as the Macc. Bosley locks are beautiful but I can't comment about the upper Peak Forest as I have never cruised it but have spent many hours walking the adjacent railway lines so I do know it's a very nice part of the world and Bugsworth looks like a good destination for a trip.

JP

As someone who always hired to see a lot of canal I wouldn't think twice about either Bugsworth or Froghall from Scholar Green for a midweek hire. I would also include the Anderton lift as a possible destination but of course not everyone wants to boat in that manner so it really depends on what sort of holiday the OP wishes for and what the capability of the crew is.

It seems possible to venture to the far end of the Caldon. I suspect planning the first and last nights around Harecastle Tunnel needs some thought but I guess it's common practice for folk hiring from here and the folk at the hire base will advise. A tunnel always adds to the excitement and Harecastle is fairly unique.

Would agree the T&M is interesting but not 'scenic' in the same way as the Macc. Bosley locks are beautiful but I can't comment about the upper Peak Forest as I have never cruised it but have spent many hours walking the adjacent railway lines so I do know it's a very nice part of the world and Bugsworth looks like a good destination for a trip.

JP

The OP is going on a 4 day trip, so Anderton and Froghall look ambitious for even the keenest boater.

JP

Trouble is, if your running tight you can lose a lot of time at the tunnel , makes the last but one day very short as you have to be there to catch the last passage. likewise on the way out it could make the second day effectively a late start. When we hired it was always at least a 12 hour day, lunch on the trot and sometimes a bit after tea.

Canal Plan gives the following cruising times on default settings;-

Scholar Green to Froghall and return - 28 hours

Scholar Green to Bugsworth and return - 30 hours

Scholar Green to Anderton and return - 32 hours

I have no doubt a sensible plan to achieve any of these could be constructed if you desired to reach one of those places. Froghall is complicated by Harecastle Tunnel and Anderton by the need to do the Cheshire locks in both directions but those features don't preclude the possibility.

Personally I would say they are all excellent midweek hire itineraries. If they aren't your cup of tea then pootle up and down the Macc as it suits you.

JP

Canal Plan gives the following cruising times on default settings;-

Scholar Green to Froghall and return - 28 hours

Scholar Green to Bugsworth and return - 30 hours

Scholar Green to Anderton and return - 32 hours

I have no doubt a sensible plan to achieve any of these could be constructed if you desired to reach one of those places. Froghall is complicated by Harecastle Tunnel and Anderton by the need to do the Cheshire locks in both directions but those features don't preclude the possibility.

Personally I would say they are all excellent midweek hire itineraries. If they aren't your cup of tea then pootle up and down the Macc as it suits you.

JP

That's interesting that Bugsworth is actually the furthest in time! Personally I'd probably pick it because of the factors you mention, but I would get to Bugsworth rather than turn part way. I've done Froghall and Leek from Stone in a midweek break, but of cousre you don't need to do the tunnel from there.

Regarding the Anderson time from Canal Planner the default cruising speed and lock times are a bit ambitious on narrow canals but OK on broad, you can't keep up the speed to meet those times even without moored boats, I think the timings were done when the canals were a good bit deeper. If you are an experienced locker and you get a clear run you can beat canal planner times but meet a slower boat or get the locks against you and you will lose with 62 locks in that run even 1 minute extra each is a lot.

Regarding the Anderson time from Canal Planner the default cruising speed and lock times are a bit ambitious on narrow canals but OK on broad, you can't keep up the speed to meet those times even without moored boats, I think the timings were done when the canals were a good bit deeper. If you are an experienced locker and you get a clear run you can beat canal planner times but meet a slower boat or get the locks against you and you will lose with 62 locks in that run even 1 minute extra each is a lot.

Canal Plan uses ambitious cruising speeds for the Macc/PFC but is too pessimistic about locks and moveable structures. Bosley Locks are not hard going and you can quite easily get through the flight in under three hours.

One hour two minutes, in fact ;)

The defaults are significantly different for narrow and broad canals and I find the 2.5mph average for narrow canals is fine. I would also think the combination of the conservative planning times for locks and the fact that the T&M is deeper than the Macc would probably close the gap between the Bugsworth and Anderton options in reality.

On balance my recommendation would be Bugsworth but I do like to tell folk what they could do rather than what they shouldn't do.

I have had a quick read of the TNC website to remind myself of what used to be possible (it's back online again ?). They would probably have attempted the entire Cheshire Ring.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg